PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] Changing port from default 8001 to a preferred one

sunky
16-12-15, 00:37
I believe an outsider has access to my box and would therefore require port change.

I am new to these system but do understand port change can be done using putty or similar software. Would be really appreciated if anyone can share the knowledge of commands required in putty to effect this change.

thanks

judge
16-12-15, 01:05
Changing the port wont stop anyone accessing your box.
Disabling the port will.

sunky
16-12-15, 01:15
Thanks, I am still interested in changing port on my unit regardless, I mioght need to leave it opened occassionally.

Also, what is your suggestion for ensuring a secured box please?

judge
16-12-15, 01:19
Thanks, I am still interested in changing port on my unit regardless, I mioght need to leave it opened occassionally.

Also, what is your suggestion for ensuring a secured box please?
In less than 10 seconds, someone could add your changed port to an IP server.
VPN probably best solution.

Ashley69
16-12-15, 10:11
A few quick question on this subject if I may please.

1. How can you tell if someone is connecting to your box.
2. What causes the box to be open to the outside.
3. How do you fix it.

I have password protected the root for my box.

From my router perspective I have only a couple of ports open for my CCTV and they have a strong username and password.

Thanks
Ash

judge
16-12-15, 10:45
Opening any ports on your router invites anyone in.
Your CCTV might have some security enabled, your E2 box doesn't.

outrage_uk
16-12-15, 13:29
This is a big problem with Vix in my opinion, yet on my own I seem to be getting ignored... Obviously people are scanning for streams on 8001 and automatically connecting. Vix comes with an unchangeable port and non working security which in my opinion needs sorting urgently.

Have a read of my thread here: Stream HTTP authentication not working / unable to change stream port? (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?49281-Stream-HTTP-authentication-not-working-unable-to-change-stream-port)

birdman has suggested turning HTTP stream authentication on, and creating another account (non root) and that appears to work for him, so it might be worth trying that.

Authentication for streaming does not work, and there should be an easy way to change the streaming port.

Depending on your router model, you might be best blocking access to 8001 and 8002 until you require it.

I have blocked the IP addresses that were connecting to my box from someone in Germany, by using a firewall script on my router, and leave HTTP authentication on until I want to stream from my box, when I have to turn it off before it works.

1. How can you tell if someone is connecting to your box.

Log into your router and view the open connections, specifically anything connecting on port 8001 or 8002 if your box transcodes. Also if you have a twin tuner box, keep an eye out for "No free tuner" messages while your recording 1 channel and try changing to another - meaning there is a tuner a tied up for no known reason. Check your internet upload speed and see if it is unusually slow.

2. What causes the box to be open to the outside.

It is open as default in Vix with no security.

3. How do you fix it.

To the outside world, streaming is probably blocked by your router's firewall. The problem appears when you forward and open the port on the internet. That lets you connect remotely but also allows everyone else, so the best (and apparently the only) option at the moment is to look at your routers security settings (only allow certain IP addresses through the firewall, or allow all but certain blocked ones.) Makes if very awkward with mobile internet with a different IP address every 5 minutes. I turn on HTTP authentication from within Vix (Setup -> System -> Customise -> Require authentication for HTTP streams) which does not work, but it disables streaming - at least until you need it, then you can turn it back off.

Trial
16-12-15, 13:50
Hi,
8001 is the internal port it does not mean you have to open port 8001 also to WAN. Every better router has port forwarding which connects port 43675 WAN to 8001 of your box. Changing port on box does not make is saver and is not necessary.

ciao

ccs
16-12-15, 13:52
In less than 10 seconds, someone could add your changed port to an IP server.
VPN probably best solution.
Already answered 3 posts up.

outrage_uk
16-12-15, 14:11
Why can't HTTP authentication be fixed within Vix? Then there wouldn't be any issue with routers or port forwarding...

ccs
16-12-15, 14:12
Another google...
Nope. Bear in mind that E2 has never been designed with safety in mind. A proper safety implementation would require E2 to be build from scratch.
But as long as you don't open any ports, and use either VPN or SSH you'll be fine.

outrage_uk
16-12-15, 14:29
It may not have been designed with safety in mind, but it is needed because streaming from the box is one of the main reasons I use Enigma and Linux over the original Sky box and i suspect im not alone.

Mr. Mister
16-12-15, 19:06
Outrage..
As has been explained in a dozen posts now.. This is an E2 problem..
Every single team who build E2 images.. all have this issue..
Not just related to Vix..
There is a nothing more than can be said on this issue.. Until an E2 coder decides to sift through years of code.. and try to rectify the issue..
Which is highly unlikely..

abu baniaz
16-12-15, 19:11
Maybe this can help

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46802-Guide-Setting-up-SSH-with-public-private-keys (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46802-Guide-Setting-up-SSH-with-public-private-keys)

Thread will be re-opened after people have time to cool down.