PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying the ET8000

kryton
13-12-15, 13:33
Hi all.
Im looking for a twin tuner receiver to replace my VU+ Zero that i bought from WOS last year.
The xtrend ET8000 has seriously caught my eye for a few reasons.
Can anybody give me some feedback on these before i buy? Ive read xtrend had a problem with security boards, is this a problem with the ET8000 aswell?
Any feed back would be great before i buy.
Thankyou.

Sicilian
13-12-15, 13:48
Many model have the security board. Not only Xtrend. You have more chance of some other form of hardware failing than the security board failing.

twol
13-12-15, 14:20
Had Xtrend for many years, never had a problem .... Just dead solid, excellent quality ..... Boringly good:)
... And regardless of some peoples views the best remote around :)
Also rate the 8000 better value than the 10000 providing you don,t need transcoding. (Had both)

Andy_Hazza
13-12-15, 15:00
Just a shame the ET8000 is a shitty colour. And I still prefer the Vu+ remote. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willmoore
13-12-15, 15:15
Just a shame the ET8000 is a shitty colour. And I still prefer the Vu+ remote. lol

Decent receiver but looks dated to me - reminds me of a VCR i once had :)

Andy_Hazza
13-12-15, 15:25
Yeah no doubt it has decent specs. Just not for me.......

Ford1
13-12-15, 16:40
had one, now have 5, 2 for myself and 3 for family members. solid, boring box, that does everything you need. so easy to use, to set up and maintain. its the first proper box ive had since the "dodgy" openbox v8s I got from ebay. (I say dodgy just cos of the lack of support and basic OS.

All in all, my family members, and I, are all happy with box and the functions it provides.

kryton
13-12-15, 18:07
Also rate the 8000 better value than the 10000 providing you don,t need transcoding. (Had both)

thanks for your input guys, i gather by not having transcoding means i cant watch streams on my mobile devices?
Can i still run the tsmedia plugin?
To be honest the colour doesnt worry me, the ability to take a 3.5" HDD is 1 thing that attracts me as i have a few laying around doing nothing.

abu baniaz
13-12-15, 18:24
Yes, you can run TSmedia. If within your own LAN, you don't need transcoding. If through your cellular connection, you would need the transcoding. There are only a few receivers that do Hardware transcoding though.

We get very few compliants by Xtrend users. There were a couple of posts about CrossEPG being slower though.

Be weary of Vu+ fan boys. Glad they don't import Vu+ Televison sets too!

Andy_Hazza
13-12-15, 18:39
Be weary of Vu+ fan boys. Glad they don't import Vu+ Televison sets too!

You make me smile Abu. HeHe.

kryton
13-12-15, 18:53
Fantastic...looks like WOS will be selling another xtrend, was really pleased with the service and support when i bought my zero.
Thanks again guys.

Andy_Hazza
13-12-15, 18:58
Yeah WoS provide a fantastic service, simply the best!

Ford1
13-12-15, 20:32
Just to add in again, I stream over wifi broardband when out and about and if the speed is there than you can watch streams from your box. I use dreamdroid, and vlc player.

kryton
18-12-15, 00:32
Well ive ordered mine today from WOS and it will be with me tomorrow, great service as usual and thanks again for the feedback.

Ford1
18-12-15, 01:34
Great!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. are you having a HDD fitted by WOS? if not they are very easy to fit, but you need to initialise it b4 you can use it. also a usb key is handy for the rear to load your epgh data on, im sure I read this was safer than using the flash memory. there is a very easy guide to set the box up in the vix section of this forum. just don't ask for anything card sharing related, that type of talk isn't allowed on here.

anyway, if you do need help, there are plenty of people on here that can sort most issues out. I have recently setup 5 of these and its pretty trouble free,

Again, I hope you enjoy the box!!:)

judge
18-12-15, 01:48
Great!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. are you having a HDD fitted by WOS? if not they are very easy to fit, but you need to initialise it b4 you can use it. also a usb key is handy for the rear to load your epgh data on, im sure I read this was safer than using the flash memory.

If a HDD is fitted, no need for a USB stick for EPG.
If a HDD is fitted & using timeshift, no need for a USB stick for picons.

kryton
18-12-15, 07:44
Great!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. are you having a HDD fitted by WOS? if not they are very easy to fit, but you need to initialise it b4 you can use it. also a usb key is handy for the rear to load your epgh data on, im sure I read this was safer than using the flash memory. there is a very easy guide to set the box up in the vix section of this forum. just don't ask for anything card sharing related, that type of talk isn't allowed on here.

anyway, if you do need help, there are plenty of people on here that can sort most issues out. I have recently setup 5 of these and its pretty trouble free,

Again, I hope you enjoy the box!!:)

No mate ive got a 500GB sata HDD going spare from my
old pc so i will be fitting that, i used a 500gb external HDD on my Zero and when adding an 8Gb Kingston USB flash stick the Zero saw them both as 500GB and would only let me choose the external HDD to write to, both were initialised and mounted correctly, i could never understand that and never found a solution for it, as the the CS side of things i'm sorted so wont be asking for advice on that ;)

kryton
19-12-15, 13:43
Well my box turned up yesterday and im pleased to say it's all set up and running great, the only thing i have noticed is though
Is the SNR is slightly lower than what i was getting on the Zero, for exampe on the Zero the SNR for GOLD was 99% but on the ET8000 it's only fetching 94%, will this be a problem with bad weather / heavy rain?

twol
19-12-15, 14:33
Well my box turned up yesterday and im pleased to say it's all set up and running great, the only thing i have noticed is though
Is the SNR is slightly lower than what i was getting on the Zero, for exampe on the Zero the SNR for GOLD was 99% but on the ET8000 it's only fetching 94%, will this be a problem with bad weather / heavy rain?
SNR is very device dependent ... comparing 2 different Makes of boxes is like comparing Apples & Pears.
94% is not an issue for you ........... you should see some of my SNR figures :)

2stein
19-12-15, 17:45
i have 99% on the zero and 90% on the duo2... looks like zero always shows 99% :-)

mr.raw
06-01-16, 09:44

I've never had an issue and i don't even get 92% :)

doggone1
06-01-16, 21:14
me to less than 90% no issues

bsdbm
08-01-16, 10:56
Well my box turned up yesterday and im pleased to say it's all set up and running great

Hi Kryton, keen to hear how you are getting on with the Xtrend? I too have a vu+ zero which I find good to use (had cr4ppy skybox F3s before it) and am now possibly thinking of an upgrade to the twin tuner box which I can install a HD into and record more. I only use the zero to view stuff, and have a 16Gb usb in it for the odd recording which works for now.

How are you finding the XTrend box compared to the zero? Quicker? Appreciate it will effectively be running the same OpenVix as the zero, but just curious how you finding it.

Also, is it as ugly as people make out??? Can an external IR receiver be fitted to the XTrend like the zero? (Just asking as like to hide my boxes away where possible and just attach a magic eye to the TV - and keep ugly boxes out of sight!)

twol
08-01-16, 12:59
Ugly? I think that's a few VU fanboys talking :)
There are also apps that will run (at least on an Ipad) to control a host of gear including E2 receivers and TV's via the IP address (unfortunately with Sky you need an IR adapter with these apps or use the Sky app)
All my lounge gear is behind closed doors... apart from teh TV :)

kryton
08-01-16, 17:39
To be honest i'm very happy with it, and i wouldn't say it was particularly ugly, it sits nice in my tv cabinet, people have commented on the colour, i dont think the grey looks bad at all and it certainly didnt put me off buying it.
Its very easy to set up and i find it much quicker than the Zero...the EPG loads instantly, on the Zero there was a few seconds delay when loading the graphical EPG with "waiting for EPG " displayed on screen.
Channel change is fast and timeshift performs better on the xtrend...the Zero would pause slightly before using timeshift.
Recording works perfect and being able to add either a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD was another bonus.
Also the remote control is much more responsive than the Zero...i always found the remote lagging a bit on the Zero, i over come this by using my samsung tv remote through HDMI CEC.

For the money i cant fault the xtrend at all and really happy that i took the plunge and retired my Zero for the Xtrend.

bluepassat
10-01-16, 20:05
I have to agree with Kryton, I got my xtrend et8000 last week from the sponsor. I could have gone for the cheaper xtrend et9500 which is black in colour but lower specification, im very please with my new box its very fast the guides load instantly. (faster than sky HD box) its easy to setup loads of plugins and as mentioned can 2.5.and 3.5 internal hard drives, (includes wiring and screws) takes 3 tuners I only wanted 2. there's lots of support images, skins, bootlogos and more

I think the photos don't show the correct colour, don't be put off...... I have a 42 inch Panasonic tv that has a black surround with grey gun metal finish stand and surround

hope this helps

regards

blue

bsdbm
12-01-16, 23:45
bluepassat are you using with a cable or sat tuner, or both? I am having VM broadband installed soon and thinking of buying one of these boxes to use with satellite and cable...

bluepassat
12-01-16, 23:52
I went for the twin sat tuner only to replace one of my older boxes, I also have a youview box and that's a twin tuner so im covered if I need to record multiple programs

you can get any mix and match tuners

if you look at the price of other boxes with triple tuners can take 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDD

blue

bsdbm
14-01-16, 13:55
Just ordered my ET8000 box from WoS - so should have it to set up over the weekend. Thanks for the advice guys, hope its as good as its purported to be! Will no doubt be back on here for help! Cheers all!

tedbib
14-02-16, 01:02
Hi
I'm new to all this and not very technically minded,so any help would be much appreciated.....
After a recommendation, I'm about to order an Xtrend ET8000 2x DVBC/T/T2 Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital Receiver.from WoS, I'm also ordering a 500 GB HDD and Open ViX (latest),Will I need to also order USB storage?

I don't have Satellite TV -- so I'll only be using the box for Cable.

Grateful for any advice Thanks

cactikid
14-02-16, 01:55
yes grab the 8gb kingston usb,it can be used for flashing these boxes but i still use mine for setting up my epg to save to.

tedbib
14-02-16, 11:28
I'll add one to my list ...Thanks

That's it ---- all ordered!! :)

tedbib
15-02-16, 17:35
I ordered:
Xtrend ET8000 2x DVBC/T/T2 Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital Receiver PVR Ready
- Enigma 2 Firmware / Image Options (Flashed Free Of Charge): OpenViX (Latest)
- Fitted HDD Options: 500GB HDD 2.5" ..
- USB Storage: Kingston 8GB USB

It's for cable only - I don't have satellite ...

Getting delivered tomorrow -- I'll be asking for some help setting it up, as I am not at all good at anything like that --
(us pensioners get confused with technology) :confused:

tedbib
16-02-16, 19:30
My Xtrend ET8000 cable box arrived today (great service from WoS)

I need to get some cable adaptors tomorrow because the RF in sockets are ordinary co-ax sockets

I'll be grateful for any help at all with setting it up, as I haven't really got much of a clue with doing it,if anyone could give me some advice