PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] "Timeshift not possible" but I am not trying to do timeshift...

fredphoesh
12-12-15, 18:30
I noticed this bug(?) when trying to zap Eden channel.
I have an auto timer set to record David Attenborough Life of Birds on Eden channel, but there is nothing recording at present, and nothing is "waiting" to be recorded on the eden channel.
I cannot go to Eden at all, I get the error that Timeshift Not Possible. And sometimes it also says "TUNE FAILED". Which is odd, I am not trying to do a Timeshift at all.
I have tried rebooting, powering off and on again, flashing a new image (restored settings) but for some odd reason Eden is not zap-able!

any brilliant ideas out there? I have no problem with National Geographic or History channel etc...
is it possible Eden channel has moved, would this give a Timeshift warning?

tx
Fred.

abu baniaz
12-12-15, 18:34
What are the transponder details for Eden on your infobar?

fredphoesh
12-12-15, 18:43
What are the transponder details for Eden on your infobar?

Hi,
I am doing a manual scan right now... I realised that, as it seems you are implying, that the Eden transponder has changed and that the error is to do with the vu box not being able to set up the timeshift function because the channel is not visible to the sytem... the error message made me think it was something to do with the auto timer and timeshift getting confused... I guess a far more useful message would be
NO SIGNAL
This would make it clear that there is no signal, and that would be the reason for not seeing the image.

I hope manual scan will fix the problem, though I dont know if a manual scan will update the customised bouquet I have made which contains Eden... will it?

Thanks,
fred

fredphoesh
12-12-15, 19:15
Yep, it was the transponder had changed.

If I may make a suggestion to the OpenVix team, perhaps the message NO SIGNAL should over ride the Timeslip error message as it would be more helpful in determining the problem.

Thank you....

abu baniaz
12-12-15, 19:28
You will need to edit your bouquets. Chanenls do not get added to bouquets when you do a conventional scan.

Are you sure you do not have timeshift set to start automatically?

fredphoesh
13-12-15, 14:50
Are you sure you do not have timeshift set to start automatically?

Thanks Abu,
I think it is set that way... so if it is not set to start automatically, will it then not be able to rewind live TV if say you missed what somebody just said and want to go back a few seconds? I love that function.

Cheers,
Fred.

outrage_uk
13-12-15, 15:29
I think what you were meaning by "I am not trying to do a Timeshift at all." on your first post is that your not trying to pause or rewind live TV.

The fact you use this means that it is set to start automatically - ie when you tune to a channel, it records it in the background to give you the "timeshift" function - so you are in fact using it, even without realising.

As you have worked out, the "Timeshift not possible" is displayed when a channel isn't tuned - there is nothing to record.

It shouldn't be much of a problem now you know its there, definitely not as much as the unresolved timeshift issues here anyway > http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?48240-Recording-rest-of-the-program-while-timeshifting

fredphoesh
14-12-15, 09:46
Yeah, it is timeshifting... but the error message would be a lot more useful if it said "no signal"... ie saying the cause, rather than the effect!

judge
14-12-15, 10:27
Why would you want timeshift to display errors other than timeshift errors?

abu baniaz
14-12-15, 10:28
What delay do you have before timeshift starts automatically?

fredphoesh
14-12-15, 11:35
Why would you want timeshift to display errors other than timeshift errors?

I think you are missing the point I am making. The INITIAL problem is that there is no signal. So the message should say that... Timeshift not being able to work BECAUSE there is not signal, is a secondary issue...

birdman
14-12-15, 11:37
Why would you want timeshift to display errors other than timeshift errors?I think he would like it to say something like:
"Timeshift not possible - no signal"

i.e., both the effect and the cause.

fredphoesh
14-12-15, 11:38
What delay do you have before timeshift starts automatically?

Hi
I have turned it off now, but I had it on 2 seconds... because I figured it would be nice to be able to turn on the tv, and if I missed what they were saying, I could go back almost immediately.

Do you know what sized cache Timeshift uses, ie how many minutes does it store?
Also, I guess it will add wear and tear to the drive, but then I noticed the drive was on even after I had turned off the Timeshift... so will it really make much difference, what do you experts say/do?

tx
Fred.

fredphoesh
14-12-15, 11:39
I think he would like it to say something like:
"Timeshift not possible - no signal"

i.e., both the effect and the cause.

Yeah, that'd be more useful... after all, signs are for people who don't already know something. I don't need signs to drive home from work... but my work colleagues who have not been to my house will need signs.

abu baniaz
14-12-15, 12:46
There was no need to turn off automatic time shift. Just change the delay to 10 seconds. You will then see the tune failed message followed by time shift failure notification.

fredphoesh
14-12-15, 13:52
There was no need to turn off automatic time shift. Just change the delay to 10 seconds. You will then see the tune failed message followed by time shift failure notification.

Ok cool, thanks. I will do that... but WRT hard drive strain and my comment that the HD seems on anyway, even when timeshift is off... so is there a marked extra strain it places? I'd Imagine so, as it is constantly writing to disk, which is probably more wearing than just spinning.

outrage_uk
15-12-15, 06:29
I personally add a cheap 64GB USB flash drive (SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB 3.0 (http://amzn.to/1ROGUZ9)) for timeshifting and backups...

a) for the reason you mentioned above
b) timeshifting seems to work faster, smoother and more reliably
c) backups are saved away from the HDD, should it ever give up the ghost

Tkr001
16-12-15, 21:10
I personally add a cheap 64GB USB flash drive (SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB 3.0 (http://amzn.to/1ROGUZ9)) for timeshifting and backups...

a) for the reason you mentioned above
b) timeshifting seems to work faster, smoother and more reliably
c) backups are saved away from the HDD, should it ever give up the ghost

Personally I would timeshift on HDD and backup to USB. Flash drives will wear out much quicker than HDD with constant writing and I would rather have my backup off the machine so I can prepare to usb flash easily.