PDA

View Full Version : Duo 2 Picons

crx
11-12-15, 18:19
Hi Guys,

Sorry for all the noob questions I am looking to install picons on my duo 2 box I have watched this http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45606-How-to-install-Picons-(channel-logos)-Video-Guide but also read that picons should be downloaded from here http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/picons-channel-icons/, whats the correct way to do this?

Thanks

Tony

abu baniaz
11-12-15, 18:30
They are both correct ways.

Can you please start posting/reading in the image support section? Most things are the same whichever receiver you are using.

crx
11-12-15, 18:34
Apologies, I had read somewhere on the site that picons aren't available via plugins and it was confusing me

abu baniaz
11-12-15, 18:36
It depends which picons you want to install.

crx
11-12-15, 18:37
Seems Mks gets good reviews so I will go that direction do I need to make a folder up before ftp to the box?

abu baniaz
11-12-15, 18:40
MK picons are not avalable on the plugin feeds. You will have to download them.

Where do you intend to save them? Internal flash memory of receiver or USB stick?

crx
12-12-15, 11:04
I had planned on saving them on the hdd but I seen in another post something about the hdd spinning up and tbh I not sure why this is a bad thing:confused:

judge
12-12-15, 11:27
It's not a bad thing if the HDD is in constant use (timeshift).
It is a bad thing if HDD isn't in constant use & needs to spin up just to display a picon.

bellejt
12-12-15, 13:13
put them in root directory.Plenty off memoryspace available

crx
12-12-15, 13:51
Is there a guide on how to set them up and where exactly to put them?

bellejt
12-12-15, 14:00
just FTP them to directory /root/picon.Then reboot box and configure EPG.For the LCD4 display configer LCD4 via webif.I use two differant sets : golden for EPG and black and white for LCD.

deleted
13-12-15, 11:38
I had planned on saving them on the hdd but I seen in another post something about the hdd spinning up and tbh I not sure why this is a bad thing:confused:

When watching a channel for some time and if the HDD has shut itself down for power/heat reduction...if you zap to a different channel, it will have to spin up again to retrieve the picon and slow down zapping in the process.

Picons aren't consuming terabytes of space, so the only logical place to put them is on the flash storage (unless you have some specific needs, in which case you wouldn't be asking this question) in a folder called picon on the root, so when watching your filesystem with ftp/scp/ssh/telnet, that would be "/picon".

If you have no clue how to deal with/install picons manually, install some package from the feed, ftp into your box and inspect the filesystem, look for a folder called picon and try to replicate with your own manually downloaded files, after removing the package installed from the feed.

By default the picons feed doesn't contain all that is available, but if you install the feed picons.xyz first, which you can do with your remote using the menu you saw in the above video, exit the menu, go back into the menu, and open picons, you'll see that some new choices have appeared.