PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Fresh Flash

crx
11-12-15, 12:29
Im getting a few issues with my box and have been told to update to the latest image, I'm a noob to all this and its took me a while to get my box where I want it. I have backed up my box via the backup manager in vix if I do a fresh install will this restore my settings etc along with recordings on my hdd or will have to start from scratch?

Thanks

Ashley69
11-12-15, 13:46
Yes. You are correct.

DaMacFunkin
11-12-15, 14:10
Really depends how old your image is, you wouldn't do a settings and plugin restore from a really old version.

crx
11-12-15, 15:34
I've the new image on and it transferred over things like the epg settings and recordings along with ccam etc but not the plugins or skins but im happy enough setting them up again.

Cheers the help...

abu baniaz
11-12-15, 17:21
I wish that we stop using the term "fresh flash". There is no such things as "sour flash".

When you flash/install an image, nothing is kept from the old image. It does not matter whether you use Image Manager or USB method to flash the image. (If you flash a backed up image, it will be an exact copy of the backup image.)

After you flash/install an image, if the first install wizard finds a settings backup on the connected storage device, it will offer you the option to perform a restore. When you restore settings, that is when you restore/transfer the old settings.

We previously suggested that after flashing/installing a new image, do not restore anything. However, it has transpired that this is not necessary. A "settings" restore is generally fine.

In conclusion, when it is suggested to "fresh flash", what is meant is:
Do not perform an online update! Flash the image using USB method or Image Manager. Do not restore settings or plugins.

In my opinion, it is far better to say "Flash new image, do not restore anything".

Recordings:
The image is installed onto the flash memory. Recordings are made to the Hard Disk Drive. Flashing a different image will not affect the recordings. Some people mistakenly think that they have to initialise the HDD after installing/flashing an image. This formats the HDD and all data on that device is deleted.