PDA

View Full Version : VU+ 4k

m.nikesh
08-12-15, 11:24
Hi,

I am planning to buy a 4k TV.

I have heard 4k TV will upscale SD channles to 2160p

If there are no 4k Channels, why do we need VU+ 4k Box??

I heard Vu+ 4k Box upgrade the SD channels to 2160p but the 4k teles does the same right?

Any comments highly appreciated.

2stein
08-12-15, 11:35
good question.
imho you don't need a 4k box today.

john doe
08-12-15, 11:37
if you don't have 4k channels you will not notice the difference on a 4k box, if it SD or HD, must be 4k.

in future 4k will be the next big thing, which virgin and sky will be working on.

I was waiting for the solo4k as I wanted a new box. but not worth buying at this stage

twol
08-12-15, 11:49
.... And of course if you want the best 4K TV then you also want HDR 4K ...... But there are 2 competing groups that want "their" HDR...... So its best to wait:)

m.nikesh
08-12-15, 12:04
.... And of course if you want the best 4K TV then you also want HDR 4K ...... But there are 2 competing groups that want "their" HDR...... So its best to wait:)

HDR is for photography images right? Sorry correct me if I am wrong...

jay209
08-12-15, 12:05
Hi,

I am planning to buy a 4k TV.

I have heard 4k TV will upscale SD channles to 2160p

If there are no 4k Channels, why do we need VU+ 4k Box??

I heard Vu+ 4k Box upgrade the SD channels to 2160p but the 4k teles does the same right?

Any comments highly appreciated.

I have Sony Bravia 4K TV and trust me they do not upscale sd to 4k quality !!
Got to be careful on forum rules here but I believe Sky sd is output at 720 ( may be wrong ).
It does improve the quality a bit but not massive !! HD channels seem to be upscaled more better to near 4K but would not say 100%.
I have VU Duos , good workhorses to be fair .
Maybe there is someone on here that has a VU+ 4K box and could let us know if they do actually upscale sd quality to at least hd or even 4K quality when viewed on 4k tv ,would be useful to know ??
Hope that helps a bit , at least thats my experience anyways.

2stein
08-12-15, 12:36
when you upscale you always loose quality. upscaled sd to hd will never be as good as native hd.
i feel that hd channels look better on an hd tv than upscaled on an uhd tv.

jay209
08-12-15, 12:40
Totally agree ! I believe upscaling just fills in the missing leds to make it a fuller picture ?

twol
08-12-15, 12:56
HDR is for photography images right? Sorry correct me if I am wrong...

HDR High Dynamic Range ---- to give a full (natural) spectrum of colours on a 4K TV screen.

The pictures on the OLED 4K (top of range) are stunning .... but usually you see them with special recorded 4K content ..... not upscaled SD!

Also when you think that people often buy a TV and never change the setup from a (immensely brightly lit) showroom display setting ...... why worry about SD/HD/4K !!

Huevos
08-12-15, 13:37
Reason for a 4K TV is to play 4K sources. That doesn't necessarily mean broadcast sources (of which there are currently very few and only tests).

A 4K STB will upscale broadcast sources and do a much better job of upscaling than the TV. Some of the 4K TVs that I've seen playing an SD source are terrible.

Also, even if you do not have a 4K TV there are still advantages to owning a Solo4K, such as the FBC tuners and being able to view 4K material on an HD TV (albeit at 1080 resolution or lower).

m.nikesh
08-12-15, 14:10
Reason for a 4K TV is to play 4K sources. That doesn't necessarily mean broadcast sources (of which there are currently very few and only tests).

A 4K STB will upscale broadcast sources and do a much better job of upscaling than the TV. Some of the 4K TVs that I've seen playing an SD source are terrible.

Also, even if you do not have a 4K TV there are still advantages to owning a Solo4K, such as the FBC tuners and being able to view 4K material on an HD TV (albeit at 1080 resolution or lower).

Thanks, what is this FBC tuner?

Huevos
08-12-15, 14:14
Thanks, what is this FBC tuner?Full band capture.

Bazzer
08-12-15, 14:33
if you don't have 4k channels you will not notice the difference on a 4k box, if it SD or HD, must be 4k.

in future 4k will be the next big thing, which virgin and sky will be working on.

I was waiting for the solo4k as I wanted a new box. but not worth buying at this stage
Virgin and Sky working on when ?? I suppose that's why they just put there prices up again. I dread to think how much they will charge for 4k viewing do people think they will eventually price people out of the viewing market. I believe sales in the USA have not gone has well has expected . Need to buy a bigger house to get my bigger tv so I can get the benefits :D

jonnyflash
08-12-15, 22:33
I splashed out on the Solo4k having Solo2 and Zeros complementing it. I find the FBC tuner very handy, not as many conflicts on timers or watching via iPads etc. I don't have a 4K tv yet but the Astra Demo UHD channel is impressive on my 1080p screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nsw9154
08-12-15, 22:48
has anyone tried the Solo4k with a cable tuner just wondering if you get more than 1 or 2 feeds with the single and dual vu+ tuners as i know the sat tuner is supposed to give you 8 feeds with an appropriate LNB

Huevos
08-12-15, 22:52
The tuner slot takes standard Vu+ tuner cards. So you could a twin DVB-C/T2 hybrid.

Deedie
09-12-15, 03:00
I have a sony 4k tv, with a vu+ duo, SD picture is terrible.

got a solo 4k coming today, so will see what the difference is when it arrives

DaMacFunkin
09-12-15, 09:15
It could be you don't have deinterlace set correctly on your Sony tv, my samsung has 2 settings, one more suited to SD, one more suited to HD, it is sometimes called film mode.

Huevos
09-12-15, 11:46
Fitted a dish for a customer a few days ago. Customer had a brand new Bravia 4K. Using the internal DVB-S tuner picture quality was horrendous on SD channels and HD channels weren't much better. Couldn't find any way to adjust the set to improve things. SD channels from terrestrial were similar quality. No way I could recommend this make or model to anyone, unless this example was faulty.

DaMacFunkin
09-12-15, 14:43
As with all things, just stating I have a 4k TV is no indication of quality, I've seen them for £399 I seriously doubt the SD picture on them is any good.

2stein
09-12-15, 14:47
i have already spent quite some time in showrooms looking at 4k tvs. and i'm not impressed by the sd and hd quality either.
however, the 4k demo material looks awsome.

Trial
09-12-15, 14:58
Hi,

has anyone tried the Solo4k with a cable tuner just wondering if you get more than 1 or 2 feeds with the single and dual vu+ tuners as i know the sat tuner is supposed to give you 8 feeds with an appropriate LNB
no change for cable. 1 Tuner = 1 frequency and 2 Tuner = 2 frequencies. Only the build in sat-tuner have the FBC advantage.

ciao

Deedie
09-12-15, 15:28
Fitted a dish for a customer a few days ago. Customer had a brand new Bravia 4K. Using the internal DVB-S tuner picture quality was horrendous on SD channels and HD channels weren't much better. Couldn't find any way to adjust the set to improve things. SD channels from terrestrial were similar quality. No way I could recommend this make or model to anyone, unless this example was faulty.

never tried the internal tuners on it.

but the picture quality from HD sources that I have tried, is absolutely stunning.

the biggest drawback with the 2015 bravia range is the android operating system was not fit for release when they went on sale. and many many issues still exist. it appears that the hardware they have used to run the operating system, is not upto the job.

DaMacFunkin
09-12-15, 18:19
i have already spent quite some time in showrooms looking at 4k tvs. and i'm not impressed by the sd and hd quality either.
however, the 4k demo material looks awsome.

Well if you mean High street showrooms then i'm surprised they didn't burn your eyes out, by default dynamic mode and mpeg processing and all the other rubbish is enabled, there is no way SD or HD interlaced will look good, 1080p blu-ray, wow that is another matter my Pioneer BDP-LX58 makes a decently mastered blu-ray look better than any 4k source i have seen upto now, including the demo channels, the imax cut of Transformers age of ultron is astonishing.
Can't wait for UHD blu-ray, money waiting here, c'mon.

DaMacFunkin
09-12-15, 18:20
Hi,

no change for cable. 1 Tuner = 1 frequency and 2 Tuner = 2 frequencies. Only the build in sat-tuner have the FBC advantage.

ciao

But if you are creative you can still record upto 8 channels from a dual cable tuner on VM.

Stanman
09-12-15, 18:36
I splashed out on the Solo4k having Solo2 and Zeros complementing it. I find the FBC tuner very handy, not as many conflicts on timers or watching via iPads etc. I don't have a 4K tv yet but the Astra Demo UHD channel is impressive on my 1080p screen.

Which sat and name of channel?

Trial
09-12-15, 19:01
Hi,

But if you are creative you can still record upto 8 channels from a dual cable tuner on VM.
you can also record 10-12 if you find the correct frequencies but this is also possible with Ultimo or Duo2 with 2 Tuner. It is also possible with receiver from competitors:-)

ciao

Ev0
09-12-15, 19:16

http://en.kingofsat.net/ultrahd.php

DaMacFunkin
09-12-15, 22:03
Yes I didn't state a specific box just a dual tuner.

jonnyflash
09-12-15, 22:58

Astra Ultra HD Test channel on Astra 28

skippie
30-01-16, 21:57
8 4k-channels already on 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E and 28.2E :)