PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Monthly image backup doesn't work

jukkal
02-12-15, 19:35
I have set up full image backup to be done monthly, but I don't know if the box has ever actually done that. I suspect that updating or flashing the image always schedules the next backup time to the date about a month after that, no matter what it was before, and it doesn't happen when I update or reflash before that date.
Just a moment ago I first checked that the image backup was scheduled to happen at the 30th of December (was running my Ultimo with OpenVix 3.2.026), then I updated to the latest image (3.2.027) with software update, and checked that now the next image backup schedule shows the 1st of January.
I think it would be a good idea to store the scheduled image backup date in some file that is included in the settings backup, but it isn't. Where is it stored? I think adding that file to the list of files included in the backup would probably help.

I have the settings backup set to be done weekly, and it always happens on Monday nights, no matter when I update or flash.

birdman
02-12-15, 20:22
I have the settings backup set to be done weekly, and it always happens on Monday nights, no matter when I update or flash.There was a (possibly) similar issue in the backup code - it assumed that the box was on alll the tme, so worked out the "next" backup based on the boot time and went from there. If the box was switched off during the day (etc.) it might never schedule one.
Possibly the image backup code suffers the same way.

birdman
02-12-15, 20:33
The image manger doesn't save the next scheduled time over a reboot....

birdman
03-12-15, 22:40
The image manger doesn't save the next scheduled time over a reboot....Hmm...
Looks like ImageManager.py has the same getBackupTime() and backupupdate() functions as BackupManager.py did. So a transplant of the ones BackupManager.py now has should work.

Also the BackupManager.py changes added code to make the querying for a scheduled backup configurable (avoiding a pop-up for something you've already said you want), and to allow you to auto-delete old images (keeping at most <n> of them), so I'll see about getting a patch for the whole lot.

birdman
04-12-15, 04:39
It seems to work when I move the code across with suitable mods and it does the trimming to the last <n> versions OK.
I'll check that the image backup works tomorrow then post the code.

NOTE: that with the trim setting on you may wish to change your image prefix if you would wish to keep any
base images you download as otherwise they will be selected as candidates for deletion too (they'll have the default prefix)

birdman
04-12-15, 12:15
NOTE: that with the trim setting on you may wish to change your image prefix if you would wish to keep any
base images you download as otherwise they will be selected as candidates for deletion too (they'll have the default prefix)Scrub that.
It was true for me only because I'd changed my prefix to be just "openvix" (to make the filename shorter, allowing the full date to show up in the list).
I've now changed it to be "myimage", so any downloaded base image will be left alone by the auto-trimming (or should be - I'm checking that now).

birdman
15-12-15, 18:37
Continued in:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?49352-Scheduled-Image-backups-a-few-issues&p=384768#post384768