PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky noise when I move motor.

vunoob
05-05-10, 20:04
Hi, I think the VU+ duo is a really good receiver but it has one major downfall for me at least. The power to my HH120 motor is crap. This is using a 25m new cable run. Its just very slow and unreliable. My other receivers are fine with the motor. (I have the latest revision box).

What im worried about it that when and if the VU actually moves the motor something inside the box squeaks. Its like an electrical arcing noise.

Can someone please listen to their box when the tv is on mute and tell me if they get a squeak too. If you dont im worried.

vunoob
05-05-10, 20:06
Sorry I made a mistake it = is

Sicilian
05-05-10, 20:10
Mine is fine here, are you sure its not the noise from the motor moving? I can hear my motor moving even though my receiver is in the lounge at the front of my house, yet the dish is at the rear.

Monty
05-05-10, 20:11
I've just had a listen while moving my motor (TM2600) a few times.
No changes in noise coming from the box while it is under load driving the motor.

vunoob
05-05-10, 20:40
ok cheers mates. anyone else? my dish is very far from the receiver in the garden. It cant be heard from the same room. Its 100% the box squeaking, You cant miss it. When im in the positioner menu and move east and west I can hear it clearly. Maybe the noise is the vu struggling to power the motor?

Could it be faulty?

Im really dissapointed with this, its such a large box with a large psu i thought it could power my heavy duty motor easily. Even my 500s moves the motor better.

Monty
05-05-10, 20:51
When moving the motor, and for the duration of the move, do you hear the "squeak", as 1 continous noise, same pitch/tone?
A while back I had a DM500 that had no problem moving a motor, but every action of the positioner had the box making a tone almost like the "whistle" I described inh my VU+post.
It was definately related to power, but not the PSU on the DM500 which was external, but the circuitry inside the box feeding power to the motor.
I know it's hard to describe noise in written words, and getting someone to understand your description of the noise can be a pain, but don't give up, someone may be able to offer advice.
My money is on PSU , but if it's a fault or not, I'm not qualified to decide.

catseye
05-05-10, 20:52
When i get my box i will check & report back

Mine will/should be connected to a Moteck vbox positioner, 18 actuator & 1.2 channel master dish thats on the back of our house

Usually/previously all i could hear was the v box 'clicking' as it sends power to motor arm -Then if you are either upstairs or outside (near to dish) you can hear humming sound of dish (motor moving) moving on pole (well at least i used to be able too!!)

vunoob
05-05-10, 21:00
When moving the motor, and for the duration of the move, do you hear the "squeak", as 1 continous noise, same pitch/tone?
A while back I had a DM500 that had no problem moving a motor, but every action of the positioner had the box making a tone almost like the "whistle" I described inh my VU+post.
It was definately related to power, but not the PSU on the DM500 which was external, but the circuitry inside the box feeding power to the motor.
I know it's hard to describe noise in written words, and getting someone to understand your description of the noise can be a pain, but don't give up, someone may be able to offer advice.
My money is on PSU , but if it's a fault or not, I'm not qualified to decide.

Yes thats exactly it, sort if like fingernails on a blackboard/whistle and yes its continuous. I think it could just be struggling (overloaded).

vunoob
05-05-10, 21:02
When i get my box i will check & report back

Mine will/should be connected to a Moteck vbox positioner, 18 actuator & 1.2 channel master dish thats on the back of our house

Usually/previously all i could hear was the v box 'clicking' as it sends power to motor arm -Then if you are either upstairs or outside (near to dish) you can hear humming sound of dish (motor moving) moving on pole (well at least i used to be able too!!)

Ok thanks for that, I hope it goes well for you.

vunoob
07-05-10, 16:40
I have an update, Yesterday i thought to myself i wont be using the second tuner so why not run a seperate cable to the motor in tuner input B and a cable to the lnb in tuner input A.

This worked and the dish moved fine without any funny noises or getting stuck so i thought great. I then realised that once I moved the dish the VU would show no signal because it only searches for a signal on tuner B. i had assumed it would search for a signal on B and then on A where the signal was. But this isnt the case, no matter what tuner settings/lnb priorities I have the VU allways selects the tuner that moved the motor (B) and I cant get on to A again. I even tried setting both to USALS. Is there a way for me to force tuner A for the signal at all times. I would really appreciate this because its really bugging me enough to start me regretting buying the VU. I thought Id be ok without moving the dish but its getting tedious switching back and forth to two receivers.

Sicilian
07-05-10, 17:12
Ok, to confirm. Are you using one dish on a diseqc motor? The LNB is dual output correct? Both output going to VU+. One output goes through motor and the other through LNB? Is this how your setup is?

vunoob
07-05-10, 17:58
Hi no its not like that, Ill try and explain in more detail, The VU only moves the motor when the LNB is disconnected. So the motor is not connected to the LNB whatsoever. The lnb is directly connected to input A and input B is going to the motor alone (without an LNB).

Sicilian
07-05-10, 18:03
Its wont work how you have it, the receiver will just get confused as theres no correct settings for the tuners as you have them.

The motor will need to be connected to the LNB.

vunoob
07-05-10, 18:15
Ok, i put it back to normal anyway but when I had it like that the motor moved to the right sats but it was just looking for a signal on B instead of A. I guess im gonna have to live with it.

SatSearching
07-05-10, 19:56
Bare with me here as I don't have a VU box......

It may be the PSU screaming, most modern consumer goods use a "Switch Mode" psu. Basically 240v ac is taken in, rectified to DC, then chopped (back to AC) at a very high frequency. This is more efficient and means a very small transformer can be used, and less heat (in theory lol).

The old way was transforming 240v at natural 50 hz (making a hum sound).
The Switch Mode way is much higher frequency (screeching sound).

I would try eliminating your long cable run first, when the weather is good, run a mains extension to your dish and try powering the dish with coax just several feet long from your box.

If it still screams, then I would contact the supplier, maybe a dodgy cap, dodgy chopper transistor or a loose winding on the transformer on the PSU.

Some switch mode psu's can run for ever making screeching sounds, but normally it indicates a component about to fail.

HTH
SS

vunoob
07-05-10, 20:05
OK, i will try with a shorter run when the weather clears up.