PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Slingbox with their E2 box?

gizmofreak
02-12-15, 12:54
Hi folks

I'd like to know if anyone has connected their E2 box to a Slingbox and successfully managed to watch their channels from another location?

Also I notice that most Slingboxes at the moment have component connection rather than HDMI and that's probably overcome by using a converter type box.

What about changing channels etc I can't see how that would work.

I have done a search but most of the results are from 2013 and I would imagine things have moved on since then.

Thanks for any replies.

Trial
02-12-15, 13:31
Hi,
I do not have a Slingbox but changing channel is done by an IR eye connected to the Sling. If you have a box with scart it may be possible that you also get a component signal from there and you only need a special cable.

ciao

DaMacFunkin
02-12-15, 13:35
If you have a box that supports transcoding and you can set up a vpn you shouldn't need a sling box.

2stein
02-12-15, 13:37
the slingbox does much better dynamic transcoding... so better results... had one years ago... was very happy with it.

Trial
02-12-15, 15:00
Hi,
Duo2 is quite good. Solo2 is quite bad.

ciao

timofee
02-12-15, 15:50
Slingbox works well, including channel changing.

The big drawback is that the video quality is awful.

johnhoe
02-12-15, 17:02
Slingbox works well, including channel changing.

The big drawback is that the video quality is awful.
Well I have a slingbox and a VU+Solo2 and I think the video quality is quite good. Mine streams at about 1.2M which gives an acceptable picture on phones and tablets but is rather fuzzy on a large screen. Still, it works well and although you have to open up an outgoing port on the router, this seems inherently much safer than having port forwarding open on my Solo2 as the slingbox is probably not hackable from the WAN side.

Huevos
02-12-15, 17:06
If you have a box that supports transcodingIf you have a decent internet connection you don't need transcoding.

gizmofreak
02-12-15, 18:27
thanks for the replies folks.
What I'm hoping to do is stick my e2 box in server rack up in my study room, connect it to a sling box and then use the sling app on my android boxes which I have in every room.
Yes I know what I can use Kodi vu+ add-on method but I find that it doesn't work well and it won't do HD, for this reason I'm thinking to go with slingbox.
I can't understand how the Slingbox remote control thing works though. Maybe the included IR thingy is actually a blaster rather than an IR receiver?

2stein
02-12-15, 18:53
Maybe the included IR thingy is actually a blaster rather than an IR receiver?
yes, it is.

Trial
03-12-15, 09:03
Hi gizmo,
on my Core i3 Kodi PC HD with the VU+AddOn is no problem.

ciao

johnhoe
03-12-15, 10:34
thanks for the replies folks.
What I'm hoping to do is stick my e2 box in server rack up in my study room, connect it to a sling box and then use the sling app on my android boxes which I have in every room.

You can only use a Slingbox with one streaming connection at a time. It is not suitable for simultaneous streaming to several places.

2stein
03-12-15, 11:38
yes, just one connection... a slingbox is better for connections across the internet with varying speeds.

gizmofreak
03-12-15, 20:24
Thanks again. I may order one from amazon and return it if it doesn't perform well.
Why oh why do they not have HDMI!!!

judge
03-12-15, 20:59

If you're only streaming to boxes/tablets inside your home, why bother with the slingbox?

gizmofreak
03-12-15, 21:47
If you're only streaming to boxes/tablets inside your home, why bother with the slingbox?

The only other way I know of is by using the Kodi / Vu+ add-on, and that method doesn't work very well for me and it won't do HD.

judge
03-12-15, 23:04
The only other way I know of is by using the Kodi / Vu+ add-on, and that method doesn't work very well for me and it won't do HD.

Try using WebIF, can you stream from there?
TunerServer in the plugin feeds might also be handy to you.

gizmofreak
03-12-15, 23:38
Try using WebIF, can you stream from there?
TunerServer in the plugin feeds might also be handy to you.

I need to use Android boxes. With WebIF I'd need to use an android browser for example firefox or chrome, I can certainly try this on one of the android boxes and see how it goes. However controlling it using air-mouse / trackpad will be a nightmare.

Not heard of TunerServer before, what's that about?

judge
04-12-15, 00:14
Not heard of TunerServer before, what's that about?

TunerServer creates m3u files for all your channels in bouquet named folders. These can be shared on the box or coped to any device on your local network.
WebIF will also let you create playlists of single channels or full bouquets.

2stein
04-12-15, 09:37
better than webif imho is the android vu+ player app. you may want to triy this as well.
however i'm not sure whether any of the above solutions will make you happy 7 days a week.

ITS A SCAM !
05-12-15, 07:33
I have tried using a VU+ solo2 running Fraggle sky skin with a slingbox solo, I felt the on screen controls were too small to see visually on a phone. I have gone back to using a TM600 purely for my slingbox. I have had this set up running for nearly 3 years now, and I am very pleased with the picture quality. Get a cheap TM600 off ebay and do it my way, works like a charm everyday.