PDA

View Full Version : [XP1000] DHCP issues and general strangeness with RT8192CU wifi adapters

aido
27-11-15, 09:40
Over the last week I've rebuilt my old XP1000 for the folks to use with 19.2E and I'm in the process of doing a couple of Xtrend ET9500's for a couple of friends and noticed some weird WiFi behaviour on them all with the RT8192CU adaptors.

These are brand new builds with fresh USB flash to build 023 and then updated to build 024 before I've tried configuring Wifi.

Basically once the adapters are associated they don't seem to take a DHCP address - I've run network traces with Wireshark and you can see that the DHCP discovery packets are being sent out by the box and then a DHCP offer packet is sent back to the box but it doesn't accept it and just keeps sending out discover packets.

If I stick on a static IP it comes up and you can access the box.

Another glitch I've seen with the RT8192CU driver is that with the XP1000 (kernel 4.0.1) the Wifi stick works perfectly once up, but on the Xtrend with kernel 3.8.7 you can use telnet and scp to get in but outbound connections from the box just get reset or just sit at syn_sent state in netstat and time out. Same sticks work fine generally with the Miraclebox Micro too but I did see similar DHCP issues when I rebuilt that but it just seems the Xtrend has some weird behaviour with the driver.

I got around last nights issue by using the old Sky Wifi - Ethernet bridge they had and it then worked fine, although not quick enough for streaming but i've told them they'll need to sort home plugs if they want to stream freesat.

I'm doing the other Xtrend on Monday night so will see if that has the same wifi problems but I'm taking some home plugs with me just in case!