PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth spending the money?

mk753
05-05-10, 19:59
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and to the linux receivers therefore apologies in advance for asking the questions: I want to know whether installing an image on the receiver is important for connecting the it to the CCCam server? I mean can we connct to CCCam without any image? and my second question is whats the advantage to installing an image? do we getany extra channels or is it just for the menus's etc. I have tried to find out the ans to the questions but after reading all the threads couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance

satmanbasil
05-05-10, 23:07
Hi mate

Ok first of all lets just sort out ur worries over "images" think of them like an operating system say windows the box needs them to operate , when you receive the vu+ it has the manufacturer Image installed. However some people whos hobby is all things satellite feel that the original software is lacking and have developed there own taylored to the needs of satellite hobbyist. CCCam can be installed in the original software so that sorts part of your question As for the need to install another image this would be down to your needs and taste images like VTi HDFreaks give u on screen information about the channels encryption used etc also give u easy access via plugins to add extra progs from cams - settings etc only by way of CCcam will u access extra channels via share. Changing a image is dead easy you only need a usb stick drive format it fat32 and make a folder called vuplus then inside that folder make another called duo... inside the duo folder u copy 3 files then power off the receiver from the rear and insert the usb in the front usb port switch on the receiver and follow on screen instructions its that easy. hope this cast any worries u have about images and take the plunge

regards
satmanbasil

Sicilian
06-05-10, 09:43
The only way you will get extra channels is buy buying a valid subscription or joining a cardshare scheme. I wouldn't recommend joining a big public card sharing server, it will most likely freeze as hell. Google 'cardsharing', sorry we cant speak in depth about card sharing here.

vunoob
06-05-10, 12:37
Without an image the box will just be blank (an expensive paper weight) with no operating system,

As to it being worth the money, It depends. If you are new at this and are not sure how to start ect, it could be a better idea to do more research or buy a cheaper alternative as a beginners receiver just incase.

The thing is you need to know basic networking skills and it is time consuming dealing with linux receivers. Its not only about the free channels for all us linux users, its about the hobby also.

To get anything wothwhile you will have to spend money yourself in one way or another.

Sicilian
06-05-10, 12:45
Imo this receiver is worth every penny, its the best in its price range available.

If your buying it as a Linux Enigma 2 HD Dual tuner receiver that can use CCcam as client and server I'd have to say yes its 100% worth every penny.

mk753
06-05-10, 21:06
Thanks everyone
satmanbasil reply was very comprehensive and exactly what I wanted, but i'll follow Sicilian advice on the receiver choice but I am not sure when are they going to arrive in the UK market, I can't wait now like many others.

Vunoob I appreciate your concern but to clarify I am new to the linux box only otherwise I can easily handle programming and LAN issues, that my hobby in the office as well.

Thanks once again to all but special thatnks to Satmanbasil and Sicilian.

mk753
07-05-10, 20:32
Hi everyone,
One other question to my mind, does the image make difference in setting up the motorised dish? as I have motorised dish with me and the blind search ofcourse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MK753

satmanbasil
07-05-10, 21:28
Hi mate

In theory it shouldnt as most images are basic set programes put together by image makes with there own altered menu's and graphics. In my own setup I have never bothered using the STB i have always plumbed for an independent sat positioner controlled by myself i just zap what bird i wanna look at then channel hop with the STB . I done this for years after hearing many horror stories of people messing with diseqc and crashing there dishes into the wall...sounds a little backwards to some of you i know but im happy with the way it is.

regards
satmanbasil

mk753
07-05-10, 21:39
Thanks satmanbasil,
I might not be able to do that as the sat positioner in another room, it may sound wierd but actually dont want to run the messy wires to my room so have to stick to the receiver option. I am using the DiseqC Motor option when I change the sat on the receiver remote, it sends the signal to the positioner (which is placed in another room) which in turns moves the dish. I hope this clarifies the position. I hope that the receiver would allow me to position the dish.

Regards,

Mk753

Sicilian
07-05-10, 21:40
Why dont u connect the Diseqc motor to the VU+? Your going to be running coax cable anyways.

mk753
07-05-10, 21:45
Hi Sicillian,
This is what I would do but just wanted to make aure that the VU+ works that way. I hope that the images are compatible the DiseqC motor.

Regards,

Mk753

Sicilian
07-05-10, 21:54
Of course m8, you shouldn't have an issue with a Diseqc motor.

JUst connect up, once your running u can just use a Enigma2 settings pack from our downloads section. They will have your satellites, settings and bouquets.

mk753
07-05-10, 22:06
Hi Sicillian,
I was just going through the Vunoob thread "Squeaky noise when I move motor", I hope that doesn't happen to me as I am using a TM positioner which is powering the DiseqC motor, but the signal is sent by receiver through the coax cable, the TM positioner then sent the 24V signal using the 4-wires cable to the dish motor.

Regards,

Mk753

Sicilian
08-05-10, 06:40
Hi Sicillian,
I was just going through the Vunoob thread "Squeaky noise when I move motor", I hope that doesn't happen to me as I am using a TM positioner which is powering the DiseqC motor, but the signal is sent by receiver through the coax cable, the TM positioner then sent the 24V signal using the 4-wires cable to the dish motor.

Regards,

Mk753

In all honesty, thats the first report I've read about about a squeaky noise when the diseqc motor is being moved. So personally I wouldn't worry.

mk753
08-05-10, 14:24
Thanks Sicillian fo your honest opinion. I surely wait for the availability of the box.

Regards,

Mk753

mk753
18-05-10, 14:35
HI everyone and Sicilian,
I have finally bought the box. I am new to linux boxes and to VU+ as I was using TM before. Anyway, I have been trying to setup satellites but finding it a bit difficult, eventually i will get there but after some time. I have a few questions 1) what is multiboot and meoboot? 2) Why my cam is not working in the box despite making it my default cam.

TIA

grtmoby
18-05-10, 14:49
As far as i know:

multiboot is the ability to boot more than one image having them on a usb. much more like dual boot in desktops/laptops when u have different operating systems (xp, vista, linux...etc.) and when u start ur machine, u select which one to start.

meoboot is a very light, not invasive, Multiboot tool for Enigma 2 images.
MeoBoot is the answer to those who wish to have an alternative to the existing multiboot tools, which have now become a kind of image in the image, controlling your DM/vu, doing tasks that go beyond their purposes, reaching large file sizes. (from the developer's team website)

for the cam to work u need cccam and to set its .cfg file

hummer66
18-05-10, 14:55
Multiboot is where you run one image in flash and then others from usb stick meoboot is a boot manager .
As the great Monty once taught me, it is so easy to install and backup with a usb stick, so is it worth doing a multiboot.
Im assuming the images run more smoothly being installed in flash
please correct me if I’m wrong.

Sicilian
18-05-10, 14:55
Just to add to grtmoby's great reply. For a softcam like CCcam to work you either need a valid subscription, be a member of a cardshare scheme or softcam keys.

Google is your friend regards a cardshare scheme. Sorry want discuss in depth here.

mk753
18-05-10, 15:02
Hi everyone,
Its a great help. I guess I don't need multiboot or meoboot.... never used it on my laptop as grtmoby described. Would it be possible to clarify how could I change or what do I change in the CCcam so that it could work cams?

thanks

Sicilian
18-05-10, 15:06
Hi everyone,
Its a great help. I guess I don't need multiboot or meoboot.... never used it on my laptop as grtmoby described. Would it be possible to clarify how could I change or what do I change in the CCcam so that it could work cams?

thanks

You need to provide a bit more info. Have you got a valid subscription? Or have you joined somekind of card sharing scheme? What channels are looking to open?

mk753
18-05-10, 15:19
Hi Sic,
I have got Diablo2 Cam and it would open some channels on 19.2 and 13 (JSC sports etc). Is there a way I can make it work again?

Thanks

Sicilian
18-05-10, 15:32
Hi Sic,
I have got Diablo2 Cam and it would open some channels on 19.2 and 13 (JSC sports etc). Is there a way I can make it work again?

Thanks

I've seen keys files floating around the internet for the Diablo2, but got to be honest I've never used or played with one. Do you know how to program/update the keyfiles in it? Might be best to start a new topic here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?33-Other-Satellite-Hardware for the Diablo2, so it gets a bit more exposure.

mk753
18-05-10, 15:41
Hi Sic,
Yes its easy to update the software on Diablo2 but you need a programmer for it like CAS3+ which comes with its own drivers etc. You can update the software with a USB lead from any computer. It can also be formatted files deleted / added etc using CAS Studio software. I might be able to add a few pictures later but to be honest a lot of info is available on other sites. I can just cut and paste from there if anyone wants it.

Thanks

Sicilian
18-05-10, 15:45
Well its sounds like you know how to update the Diablo. Have you tried just sliding it into the CI slot then re-booting your VU+ Duo to see if you can clear anything?

mk753
18-05-10, 15:48
Yes I have done that already seems like nothing is happening but just to make sure I'll test it in the TM as well to see whether it clears any channels now as I have not been able to update the software for over 2 months now.

grtmoby
18-05-10, 16:26
we need info what cam are you using and which card that goes into it.

satmanbasil
18-05-10, 23:07
Hi mate

Not had the time to look at ur cam problem yet but my experience of the kathrein with enigma2 was that u had to go into setup and select common interface where if cam is installed ur see it listed cam1 or 2, then and i say this from kathrein experience u had to nominate the channels or providers that u want the cam to decrypt. If i get a moment i will go in and check the proceedure but i think its almost the same as most i have experienced so far with this brill box matches what i did with the kathrein.