PDA

View Full Version : [ET10x00] Do I need to re-flash to 23?

IAmATeaf
25-11-15, 14:28
Saw the threads on needing to re-flash in order to go to version 23 but before seeing this I saw the online green update flashing so I updated from 21 to 23 this way.

Everything seemed to go OK and checking the version numbers it shows version 23 and GST 1.6.1 but this has left me wondering after seeing the sticky if I should re-flash it from USB?

I know I could just keep quiet and do the re-flash but I was also wondering it allowed me to update online and presumably there might be others who did the same thing so the could help. :)

ronand
25-11-15, 15:14
I cant see what the problem is in following the advice on the forum. Just because it allows you to update doesn't mean its the correct method. The forum should be consulted regularly as the image is constantly being modified and improved. If it was designed solely for end users and not hobbyists then this would not be a requirement. Just back up your settings and do a couch flash and you will be back up and running in less than 10 minutes.

IAmATeaf
25-11-15, 15:51
I've no problems with doing a reflash and will probably get this done over the weekend.

As i said above I did the update online before realising. The reason I asked is that in the past where a reflash was needed I'm sure it wouldn't let you do an online update which is how I've ended up where I am.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
25-11-15, 16:05
There will be some files which will not have updated. Best to install latest image and restore.

sewalsh
25-11-15, 16:08
It would be ideal if the update code contained a flag on whether an online update or a re-flash is required. Would save a lot of headaches for those who don't frequent the forums.

ronand
25-11-15, 16:38
It doesnt really matter - people will post on the forum and ignore all messages given to them. An example just a few mins ago http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?49179-update-image

If he read the message he would know to reflash and not post on the forum. If the receiver refused to update then he would post as well. The only way is to read the forum before updating. And I mean read not just click "ok"

sewalsh
25-11-15, 19:47
If he read the message he would know to reflash and not post on the forum. If the receiver refused to update then he would post as well. The only way is to read the forum before updating. And I mean read not just click "ok"

It makes more sense to have a flag, if an online update can't be used to upgrade to the next version, just don't allow the user to upgrade. Leave the box in its stable state, don't allow an update that could possibly leave the box in an unstable state (i.e. the perpetual flashing green update icon which returns a response that no updates are available).

Case in point in the thread you just mentioned:

If you were on less than 023, you have to install latest image and optionally restore settings/plugins. You should not have performed an update.

This is the first time that user is reading that they should not have performed an online update. How were they supposed to know? We can't all babysit our devices.

Simply: If an online update can't be used to upgrade to the next version, return a SCREAMING BIG WALL OF TEXT telling the user to perform a couch/USB flash. Point them to a tutorial on how to do this if they're unaware. It would cut down on the forum being blasted by repeated questions since the update system is a great source of confusion.

birdman
25-11-15, 19:52
If he read the message he would know to reflash and not post on the forum. If the receiver refused to update then he would post as well. The only way is to read the forum before updating. And I mean read not just click "ok"Which is one reason why the, "If you don't like having to change your password every 30 days then don't use this forum." attitude is misguided.

ronand
25-11-15, 19:55
@sewalsh: I agree with you totally but unfortunately very few read what is in front of them (even a big wall of text!). A lot of people keep asking on the forum "are the feeds down" when they are given exactly that message when they try to update. And this feature was implemented in the online update to end confusion and reduce the amount of people asking on the forum. Its just too easy to ask the same thing over and over again without reading first - and that goes for a lot of questions on the forum. Its a rare question that hasn't been answered already.

ronand
25-11-15, 19:58
Which is one reason why the, "If you don't like having to change your password every 30 days then don't use this forum." attitude is misguided.

I very much doubt people will stop using the forum because they have to change their password. They just have to comply with forum policy. If forum users were allowed to dictate the policy by virtue of the fact they use the forum there would be anarchy. And the question had already been answered - the policy is to remain to there was no need to resurrect it.

birdman
25-11-15, 21:20
I very much doubt people will stop using the forum because they have to change their password. My comment was about the attitude, not the policy.

IAmATeaf
25-11-15, 22:27
I've now fresh flashed 23 and then online updated to 24.

It was a simple question and the intention was never to purposely ignore the advice of the forums. It was a mistake on my part which is why I asked.

lxt1024
27-11-15, 02:04
It would be great if an update change log could mention Flash required..