PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Dual Boot

paulsysp
15-11-15, 20:12
Hi All

Is there any way I can dual boot 2 vix images?

As I am having issues playing .MKV files, I thought it would be easier as a stop gap solution if I have the option to boot either to Apollo or 3.2..

Cheers

twol
16-11-15, 08:22
I know there is a multiboot plugin .... Never tried it (no need on et8500 it,s standard) ... But its in un use by some images.

judge
16-11-15, 09:19
If you're having problems playing media files, better off encoding them properly than looking for a flakey solution.

paulsysp
16-11-15, 12:16
Hi

I will try download this plugin, not available on the extensions list.

The files are encoded correctly they play fine on Apollo but not on 3.2, the video plays for 1 second and then a black screen, sound is fine though.

Thanks

rossi2000
16-11-15, 17:38
openmultiboot in extensions in the feeds

DaMacFunkin
16-11-15, 20:32
Is it really that safe though or even practical? Don't you need the images stored on USB and basically what you are doing is re flashing it every time you change image, am I right?

rossi2000
16-11-15, 20:40
nope.
it isnt flashing an image everytime.

twol
16-11-15, 20:53
I actually agree with Judge that it is better to fix the issue (for this sort of problem), but certainly multiboot seems to be widely used on other images.
For me a multiboot is the ideal solution, as I tend to build my own images, which is why I like the ET8500 that has it built in ..... Its a great test machine.
.... And actually if supported I could see a benefit on any new box like the VU+4K as you can save a "working" image while testing new versions/extensions on another boot image.

Clabs
16-11-15, 23:08
I actually agree with Judge that it is better to fix the issue (for this sort of problem), but certainly multiboot seems to be widely used on other images.
For me a multiboot is the ideal solution, as I tend to build my own images, which is why I like the ET8500 that has it built in ..... Its a great test machine.
.... And actually if supported I could see a benefit on any new box like the VU+4K as you can save a "working" image while testing new versions/extensions on another boot image.

Totally agree - better to fix the issue for that type of problem.

Having said that, I also have at ET8500 that has dual boot built in. Dual boot is something that would never normally interest me but since Remote Channel Stream Convert stopped working for me since 3.2.004 I have been looking everywhere for a solution. I have been able to flash many different images (to no avail), but at the end of the night and when my brain is fried, it is great to be able to quickly boot into a known working image with all my settings to actually watch telly :)

judge
16-11-15, 23:22
but since Remote Channel Stream Convert stopped working for me since 3.2.004 I have been looking everywhere for a solution.

Remote Channel Stream Converter working fine here on current & development builds.

Clabs
16-11-15, 23:42
Remote Channel Stream Converter working fine here on current & development builds.

Not currently working for me - Vu Duo2 server and ET8500 as client - choppy video when flicking between channels. Works perfectly with VIX 3.2.004 on the client, but juddery/choppy video on all subsequent builds including 021. Oh - server is 3.2.021.

Thanks Judge.

judge
16-11-15, 23:57
Not currently working for me - Vu Duo2 server and ET8500 as client - choppy video when flicking between channels. Works perfectly with VIX 3.2.004 on the client, but juddery/choppy video on all subsequent builds including 021. Oh - server is 3.2.021.

No issues here using release build 21 & dev builds. Using VU & TM as servers & TM, ET as clients.

Fuzzy
17-11-15, 00:36
Working fine on build 21 for me too, with duo2 as client and solo2 as server.

paulsysp
17-11-15, 10:04
How can I fix the issue when the problem is with Vix 3.2 and my VU Duo2 not playing the file?? The exact same file plays fine on my android device, PC and also when using Vix Apollo image..

This is why I'm asking how to dual boot..

If the Vix team can fix this, I have no reason to dual boot.

Please note this issue is effects my VU Duo2 on the Hades image and also 3.2 and has not been fixed since April 2015..

DaMacFunkin
17-11-15, 10:23
There is a new gstreamer coming this week maybe that will fix it.

paulsysp
17-11-15, 11:18
Hopefully!! Vix is great.. But disappointed this has not been fixed in such a long time.

Please note not taking a jab at the Vix team as they do a great job for a free piece of software..