PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] USB's not recognised !! Grrrrr !

doeflax
14-11-15, 17:51
Okay, I realise this topic has probably been done-to-death but I'm at the edge of despair now!
I am trying to load a new vix image onto my VU+ Duo (original) but my box is completely refusing to recognise the usb drive.
It boots up and quickly looks at the usb, but then proceeds to load the image already on the box.
I have tried various brands of usb sticks, and have formatted to fat32 on my pc before loading the image (open vix 3.2.009) every time. Tried different images, alternative usb ports, & different size usb sticks, all to no avail. Was wondering if any forum members have come across this problem, and of course have they overcome it ??

judge
14-11-15, 18:18
If you can't get a USB stick to flash, try couch flashing.
Use blue button -> ViX -> Image Manager to download & flash the image.

bellejt
14-11-15, 18:40
I have an old 256 Mb flasdrive usb stick.Works every time.Just make a partition from 256 Mb on your stick in fat32.Download the image and unzip directly to the stick.

simono5
14-11-15, 20:09
Format using 'HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool'. Worked for me.

cactikid
14-11-15, 22:21
i only use max 8gb cruzer,kingston or integral and no issues.

Bazzer
15-11-15, 00:51
If you can't get a USB stick to flash, try couch flashing.
Use blue button -> ViX -> Image Manager to download & flash the image.
Do what judge says I have never had a problem doing it this way

birdman
15-11-15, 02:49
It boots up and quickly looks at the usb, but then proceeds to load the image already on the box.
Have you installed the files in the correct place?
You need to have the vuplus directory at the root (top) of the USB file-system. This contains just the duo directory, which itself contains the 5 files from the downloaded zip.

doeflax
17-11-15, 22:56
just wanted to say a big thankyou to all those members that offered assistance.
I'm not there yet. But still tackling the various suggestions.
Will of course post any useful findings for those in the same boat :lol3:

ronand
17-11-15, 23:07
Why don't you follow the advice given in post #2 - you've been at this for 3 days. With the image manager it's actually quite rare to need a usb stick any more.

birdman
18-11-15, 03:11
Why don't you follow the advice given in post #2 - you've been at this for 3 days. With the image manager it's actually quite rare to need a usb stick any more.With modern battery technology and jump leads you probably never have to bump-start a car, but it nice to know you can do it. (I've done it on my own, thanks to being parked at the top of a slope).

Bear in mind that the USB flashing should work, and if you've totally screwed up your network and can't access the system then it would be the only way out.

judge
18-11-15, 04:36
With modern battery technology and jump leads you probably never have to bump-start a car, but it nice to know you can do it. (I've done it on my own, thanks to being parked at the top of a slope).

Bear in mind that the USB flashing should work, and if you've totally screwed up your network and can't access the system then it would be the only way out.

Yawn ...

abu baniaz
18-11-15, 08:32
Have you tried this?

We recommend a Kingston USB stick max 8GB

birdman
18-11-15, 11:50
There is also the possible issue of whether the filesystem is on the raw device or if a partition table has been used, which I think is the reason behind #4.

The one I use has a partition table (so shows up as /dev/sdx1 on the box, not /dev/sdx.

birdman
18-11-15, 11:51
Yawn ...You have an aversion to expecting things to work correctly?

Foxylady
18-11-15, 14:29
You have not got an external usb hard drive or usb pendrive connected in the rear usb port's have you?
If so, simply remove them, as these will cause the problem, then start flashing with front usb.
Once flashed, simply reinsert your external devices back in.
i use a shell branded 1gb pendrive, always have for 4 years with my loyal duo, no failures ever.
Having a bigger capacity drive is not the answer, i's just which one will work.

judge
19-11-15, 00:32
You have an aversion to expecting things to work correctly?

Nope, I've an aversion to long winded support replies.

IAmATeaf
25-11-15, 10:24
On my duo the front USB port could only be used to flash if I gently pushed the pen drive to the right and held it there as it booted. I think for me the kids being lazy got used to using the front port to plug in drives and some mullered it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk