PDA

View Full Version : Boosting my wifi signal. How best to do it

Lynnzer
13-11-15, 19:26
Problem. My router is located upstairs. It's showing a 20mb connection from the fibre optic cable but the signal downstairs is poor at less than half. My Firestick goes into buffer mode a lot while using it.
I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area so what best to do.
I had thought of a Powerline Adapter but of course the Firestick doesn't have any facility for connection to an ethernet cable at a downstairs adapter.
Is it best to get a kit anyway, then connect a downstairs router (or something) to it at the wall socket and do wifi direct from that, or what?

I know I sound thick as a newbie but I'm sure you'll understand.

Huevos
13-11-15, 19:31
My choice would be CAT6 from your router to downstairs. Downstairs have a wireless access point that also has ethernet sockets.

Lynnzer
13-11-15, 19:37
My choice would be CAT6 from your router to downstairs. Downstairs have a wireless access point that also has ethernet sockets.

Can't do a cable feed to downstairs I'm afraid. It just isn't feasible.
So does that just leave a powerline option?

I'd have my telephone line extended downstairs for the router but I can't do that either. Or at least not without some hefty expense.

Trial
13-11-15, 20:12
Hi,
I use DLAN ("Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Powerline Starter Kit") which has a normal LAN port as well as WiFi-AP at the end points.

ciao

Mr. Mister
13-11-15, 20:20
How about a wifi repeater.. ??

twol
14-11-15, 09:22
G
Can't do a cable feed to downstairs I'm afraid. It just isn't feasible.
So does that just leave a powerline option?

I'd have my telephone line extended downstairs for the router but I can't do that either. Or at least not without some hefty expense.
Can you qualify the "not feasible" its surprising what can be done providing the property is yours :)

Trial
14-11-15, 09:37
Hi Mr.Mister,
with a repeater you can boost the signal quality between a device and the WiFi but only up to the repeater. Between repeater and router normally the rate is cut in half because 2 APs have to share the same frequency.

ciao

2stein
14-11-15, 10:19
i used dlan for a while... it's better than a bad wlan connection... you have to make sure the devices are plugged into sockets connected to the same power phase (assuming you have multiple).
but nothing can beat a real cable :-)

bigkenny
14-11-15, 17:48
Homeplugs are what you need I have two consumer units and they still work around my house. I use another router in another room (connected to one of the home plugs) that is used in bridge mode to send my wifi signal round more of my house that the orginal router cannot reach (welsh thick stone walls). No messy long cables to muck about with