PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue QUAD+ PLUS] Time shift Issues still

mansfieldweb
13-11-15, 04:51
Whilst in time shift, everything works fine but if stop is pressed to catch up with live tv, the box more often than not crashes.
If you fast forward to the end of the time shift buffer or simply press Channel Up/Down to change channel, it doesn't crash.

This has been doing this now for quite a while. Has anyone found a resolution to this?

I've done a complete refresh with a different hard disk with no settings recovered etc and still the same. It did work quite well at some point many versions ago!

Thanks guys

mansfieldweb

Joe_90
13-11-15, 12:08
I have found that my Quad+ is not behaving properly in timeshift in the 3.2 series of releases either. However, I have not had any actual box crashes, nor can I reliably repeat the problem in order to help diagnose the issue. I believe myself that the Gigablue drivers are to blame as there have been several changes to them in recent weeks. The Hades releases 018 or Apollo 166 seem to be much more stable but then you have the issue of not having the latest tweaks to the underlying software.

outrage_uk
14-11-15, 09:23
My Quad+ (3.2.021) works fine with time shifting (apart from the annoying not recording the full program "bug") (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?48240-Recording-rest-of-the-program-while-timeshifting). I use a 64GB USB flash drive for EPG and time shift - maybe that's worth a try?

nsw9154
14-11-15, 09:34
i paused a program yesterday to make a cup of tea when i pressed play nothing happened, i had to stop the timeshift and missed the program that i paused it for :mad:

i think i will be going back to Hades 018 if this can not be fixed as i use timeshift all the time on all my receivers

Joe_90
14-11-15, 13:45
My Quad+ (3.2.021) works fine with time shifting (apart from the annoying not recording the full program "bug") (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?48240-Recording-rest-of-the-program-while-timeshifting). I use a 64GB USB flash drive for EPG and time shift - maybe that's worth a try?

I have a 1 TB internal HDD. Records perfectly fine. It's not a filesystem issue - seems to be a software/driver interaction problem.

outrage_uk
14-11-15, 14:32
I also record on internal hdd, although in my experience with this box it seems to run better using USB for time shift. For the sake of a tenner it might be worth a try thats all i was suggesting.

nsw9154
16-11-15, 04:20
now today my Quad+ froze and gave a constant spinner, but i was not using time shift i was watching the Darts that i had recorded on the afternoon
and i was at the time of the lockup recording the Final to watch later, all i did was rewind the recording and when i pressed play it just stopped, their was no crash log either as i had to switch off from the back to get it to reboot, but once it rebooted my recording automatically started recording again and luckily it was during the adverts :)
and afterwards all my recordings played back without a problem - i tried to replicate it but nothing i did crashed or locked it up :confused:

i also thought that i would try using a 64 Gig USB stick for time-shift but i could not get it to configure to time-shift it recognizes the usb stick in the back port but i could not get it to recognize it when i tried to set up the time-shift am i missing something

45718 45719 45720

birdman
16-11-15, 10:54
i also thought that i would try using a 64 Gig USB stick for time-shift but i could not get it to configure to time-shift it recognizes the usb stick in the back port but i could not get it to recognize it when i tried to set up the time-shift am i missing something What about selecting the "<List of storage devices>" in image 2?

nsw9154
16-11-15, 15:56
i finally managed to get my 64Gig USB memory stick to be recognized and used for time-shift i had to format it to EXT3 and then Mount it, and the 1st time i tried it out my Quad+ crashed
but it was after i had watched the program that i had paused - rewound and fast forwarded - without a problem it seemed to crash as i stopped the time-shift to put it back into normal viewing :confused: and this time i got a crash log and a few Debug logs so i have posted them all as they might be slight differences that might help pinpoint why it crashed

divil_a_bit
17-11-15, 23:47
I've been using Hades.018 on my Quad+ and I see the exact same problem.
"Whilst in time shift, everything works fine but if stop is pressed to catch up with live tv, the box more often than not crashes.
If you fast forward to the end of the time shift buffer or simply press Channel Up/Down to change channel, it doesn't crash."

I just don't hit stop to catchup when in timeshift. It's a very minor issue but it's one I wish was fixed. I tried OpenVix 3.2.XX and the problem was still there so I just reverted to Hades.018
When I know the problem has been fixed in the driver, I'll upgrade my version of OpenVix.

There was a release of the Quad+ drivers where this bug wasn't present but there were other much more serious problems.

I have 2 Quad+ receivers - one with an internal HDD for Timeshift and one with a USB key for Timeshift. Both behave the same problem

divil_a_bit
18-11-15, 09:13
After reading this thread last night, I tried to reproduce this crash on both my Quad+ boxes ... and FAILED! The problem just isn't there :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm still using Hades 18 on both boxes.
In the past, I used to see this problem about 50% of the time.

Joe_90
18-11-15, 13:58
That was my experience also - see post #2
I am using 3.2.021 now, though, just to keep current with latest image. Hopefully the drivers will be sorted soon.

nsw9154
20-11-15, 04:09
Quad+ crashed twice last night once after pressing stop after i had watched the time-shifted program, and again setting a program to record after the event
but what i did not realize is that it recorded the program but after the crash i decided to watch it instead then found the recording later i also got crash logs and Debug logs but it crashed again twice trying to watch the 1st debug log so i have sent them all i forgot to mention that i am running 3.2 build 021 03-11-2015

mansfieldweb
31-01-16, 22:59
Has anyone noticed any improvement with this - I'm finding it's no better, maybe even worse!

Who is this Michael @ Gigablue who writes the drivers, I think he needs to be taught how to write reliable and functional drivers. Every single driver he writes seems to exhibit exactly the same problem. It even crashes in timeshift with openMips and OpenATV in exactly the same way.

Timeshift works (reasonably) OK unless STOP is pressed to catch up with live TV and bang (the box crashes and reboots)

I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought this heap of crap and will never buy another gigablue as long as I live!

:-)
02-02-16, 16:52
In my experience Timeshift last worked properly in Apollo ViX - on my Vu Duo2 - if you timeshift rewind it will go back to the beginning of the Timeshift BUT then keep on going to other end of timeshift in a loop - if you press play it will playback but then you have to fast forward through the loop the same number of times you accidentally rewound through the loop - ViX used to auto stop at the beginning of the timeshift and automatically go into playback so no looping issue.

Saving timeshift to HDD almost never works - results are wildly unpredictable - used to work on Apollo – but going back to Apollo is not realistic.

Also if you are watching a program from timeshift that ends on schedule the box goes berserk if you fast forward through to the next program that has already started- pressing stop to get back to real time TV causes a massive pause but generally does work.

Timeshift on Apollo used to work even better than $ky timeshift - come on ViX let’s get back to those days of effortless timeshifting - we know you can do it!