PDA

View Full Version : Motor Advice

Dicpenderyn
07-11-15, 22:39
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding motors that you may be able to answer?

My current motor seems to have a little bit of "rotational play" in it - by that I mean the dish doesn't seem sturdy and solid.

When I drive the motor to 30W for example it failed to lock on and get a signal.

I looked at the degree markings on the underside of the motor and saw that it was out i.e not on 30W, I slightly rotated the dish by hand (not with buttons, just a slight twist) to make up for the "play" to 30 and I got a signal.

I guess my questions are - does my motor sound goosed and if so, what would be a good replacement?

I have a 1mtr dish and it does get quite windy where I live.

When a dish is attached to the motor arm, should there be any play in the dish/motor setup or should it be well rigid, like no rotation at all???

Thanks in Advance Guys,

Rich

DaMacFunkin
07-11-15, 22:50
Do you know if the motor has nylon gears, they go loose with wear and tear, I would recommend a new motor with metal gears.

Clabs
07-11-15, 23:04
Rich

No - there shouldn't be any real play in the dish and you kind of answered your own question - you can move the dish slighgtly by hand and get a signal.

Unless something else is loose, then what DMF said - most likely worn gears.

If you post back with the make/model of motor you currently have then I am sure someone will be able to give some recommendations for a replacement.

Dicpenderyn
07-11-15, 23:43
Hi DMF/Clabs,

Thank you both for your speedy replies...

I've just found my motor manual - it's an Icecrypt DM-200... I only paid £40 for it so I guess it has nylon gears in it!

Thanks,

Rich