PDA

View Full Version : 4K and More: LG talks future of OLED & first details on 2016 OLED TVs

twol
03-11-15, 11:20
Interesting flatpanelshd interview with LG on their OLED.
Sorry for the long url :)

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1446462482&utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=First+details+on+LG%27s+2016+OLEDs+%26 +future+concepts+-+Plex+launches+on+Apple+TV+-+Xbox+One+gets+Windows+10+with+update+-+Netflix%27s+first+movie+is+a+hit&utm_campaign=20151103_m128073228_FlatpanelsHD+-+November+3%2C+2015&utm_term=_0D_0AExclusive_3A+LG+talks+future+of+OLE D+_26+first+details+on+2016+OLED+TVs

DaMacFunkin
03-11-15, 13:36
Like I keep saying they are a way off having a consumer set that is any good with HDR, they obviously didn't explain why OLED can currently only produce about 400 nits but you can read about that in other places, I'm a plasma lover and I obviously want OLED to do well, but if you need a 4k tv with all the latest tech and standards in the next couple of years it will have to be LCD I'm afraid.

Ashley69
23-12-15, 21:09
I have been reading on the forum about HDR but never got round to finding out what it was.
Today I found this interesting article.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdr-for-tvs-explained/

So it looks like different TV manufactures will put the own spin(name) on their HDR

twol
23-12-15, 21:53
So often standards are an abused collation, where competing companies stress their positives, try to minimise their negatives and worse bend the standards so their negatives become a positive.
Some players have achieved market dominance by this plus a marketing spend greater than the rest put together :)

Stanman
24-12-15, 13:19
HDR standard going to take some time to bed down as according to av sites 2 competing ones.

Am almost set on the telly am going to buy and not overly fussed on HDR atm.

Just need the price to drop😊😊

DaMacFunkin
24-12-15, 14:56
As with HD audio formats all competing HDR formats will have a 'core' value set that is expected to work on other HDR equipment, Dolby Vision is the one most Film studios are being wooed by, but no consumer set in Europe can reach the minimum requirement of 1000 nits, Dolby Vision recommends 1500 which might just burn your eyes out lol.