PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue quad or vu+ solo 2

moonmandeclan
02-11-15, 15:40
hi folks , I am quite new to here so was just looking for some advice , I have been melting my head over the last 2 weeks since opting to upgrade from skyboxf5 to a more meaty Linux box, I was wondering what you guys would choose from the Gigablue quad or VU solo2 and why. Or would I be better going for a cheaper box until I knew what I was doing with them ?(and if so what cheaper box would you choose yourselves) thanks in advance guys.

judge
02-11-15, 15:42
Out of the 2 you mention, l prefer the Solo2. Just feels zappier & nicer remote...

Mr. Mister
02-11-15, 15:54
Disagree.. Quad is brilliant.. and remotes are very good indeed..

You can add 2 extra tuners to the quad.. to make it 4.. I have this done on one of my Quads.. and its totally faultless..

But cant do that to the Solo2.. I have a brand new Solo2 here.. and i wont take it out of the box until such times as i have someone for it.. Would not use it myself..

Willmoore
02-11-15, 16:44
Disagree.. Quad is brilliant.. and remotes are very good indeed..

You can add 2 extra tuners to the quad.. to make it 4.. I have this done on one of my Quads.. and its totally faultless..

But cant do that to the Solo2.. I have a brand new Solo2 here.. and i wont take it out of the box until such times as i have someone for it.. Would not use it myself..

You make it sound like the Solo2 is a bad box (which it is not) because it can not support four tuners - many people don't require that many tuners. Me for one.

The Solo would be an excellent choice as would probably any box the sponsor sells. It's all down to to the op requirements.

Mr. Mister
02-11-15, 16:59
Defo not making it sound a bad box.. Its an excellent box..

Just not for me.. And like you say.. It all depends on whats the OP wants.. Which were sketchy in the first place..

Maybe he dont need 4 tuners.. But if you were to offer me a choice between the 2 for free.. Id take the Quad all day everyday..

just my preference..

nsw9154
02-11-15, 17:55
my first proper receiver i bought to replace a Blade 7000 was a Solo2 and i was very happy with it until i realized that i needed more than 2 tuners, so i bought a Duo2 that was at the time the Big Daddy of the receivers, i have since then purchased a LX3 a very good receiver but for some reason is now very hard to find, a Mut@nt HD2400 another excellent receiver - a Xtrend ET10000 and last but not least in January of this year a Quad+ but i could not get used to the remote control so i put it back in it's box and was going to sell it
but a few months ago i decided to try it out again, and i am glad that i did because it is a cracking little receiver and at the moment i tend to use it more than my others
and i am getting used to it's remote i just wish that the top buttons where a little bit larger
one thing to remember with the Quad+ remote is that it is universal and if you press the TV Button like on every other remote to get the Bouquets it disables the remote
you have to press the GIGA Button to get the remote back, and you have to press the FAV Button for your Bouquets :confused:
but once you can get over that little quirk its a very good receiver and i would have no problem recommending the Quad +

joysleep1
03-11-15, 12:55
Does Gigablue support transcoding tho?

skippie
03-11-15, 15:09
yes it does

joysleep1
04-11-15, 10:13
yes it does

hardware transcoding?

divil_a_bit
04-11-15, 17:28
The Quad+ supports h/w transcoding.

I have a Quad+ and I love it. Actually, I have 2 of them. I wanted a 2nd box for another room and decided it ticked all the boxes so why not.

I have to agree with an earlier post about the remote control: I've used a lot better. The PRV functionality on the remote is poor (the Play, Pause, Stop, Fwd, Rwd and Record) are all in a very poor location and not easy to use. I ended up buying 2 Harmony remotes for the 2 boxes to make the receiver more usable

I'd definitely recommend the Quad+

Larry-G
04-11-15, 17:32
hardware transcoding?

Allows you to stream live TV over the Internet to other devices / mobiles etc at a lower bitrate than the original broadcast stream. The receiver re-encodes or transcodes the stream on the fly thus cutting down on bandwidth needed and thereby lowering the amount of data used. Both boxes can transcode but the quad has more functionality in this area.

Simply both boxes are great for what they do and I have / use both. Both however have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Either box will do what you want but the solo2 is a little limited in tuners in my opinion but if that's not important to you then fair enough.

Sicilian
04-11-15, 23:46
[QUOTE=divil_a_bit;381217]The Quad+ supports h/w transcoding.
[QUOTE]
both the quad+ and solo2 do software transcoding, not hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk