PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use a USB DVB-S2 tunner

Alanp
23-12-10, 12:00
Is it possible to use a USB DVB-S2 tunner on the DUO to make it a tripple tuner would be great if possible

irishchris
23-12-10, 12:06
according to a mail from sundtek they now have it working on dreambox 800 and they think it "should" work on a vu+ but it has not been tested. by all means if anyone gets one i have the drivers for the dvb-s2 skytv ultimate usb sundtek tuner and can guide you through the process for installation. i would but i already have all usb tuners used {1 X sundtek dvbt, 1 X usb hdd, 1 X usb flash}

irishchris
23-12-10, 12:09
update:

" We might be able to get support for this, currently it is not evaluated!

Dream Multimedia supports DVB-S/S2

at this time it is impossible for VU + suport to DVB- S2 (mostly known as HDTV channels, as they do not support the new API yet.
Dream Multimedia fixed the new API support around a week ago we are still evaluating since we have just received the first stable DVB-S/S2 devices a few days ago.

And set top boxes will DVB-S/S2 be evaluated within the next 1-2 weeks "

pooface
23-12-10, 12:10
according to a mail from sundtek they now have it working on dreambox 800 and they think it "should" work on a vu+ but it has not been tested. by all means if anyone gets one i have the drivers for the dvb-s2 skytv ultimate usb sundtek tuner and can guide you through the process for installation. i would but i already have all usb tuners used {1 X sundtek dvbt, 1 X usb hdd, 1 X usb flash}

Just wondering what your reasoning for a usb hdd and usb flash is?

I've just got rid of my usb flash and now using a portable (60gb) usb hdd. It is much faster and more stable for me as my swap partition and use it for timeshift and picons etc... Would then free up one of your usb to try as a third tuner :p

irishchris
23-12-10, 12:13
Just wondering what your reasoning for a usb hdd and usb flash is?

I've just got rid of my usb flash and now using a portable (60gb) usb hdd. It is much faster and more stable for me as my swap partition and use it for timeshift and picons etc... Would then free up one of your usb to try as a third tuner :p

i had been debating whether to remove the usb flash drive and solely use the usb hdd for swap picons etc but when i tried it it kept waking my hdd up and constantly spinning and felt like a hotplate when i touched the back of the hdd enclosure where the fan is

Alanp
23-12-10, 12:17
Ok thanks for reply I will try and get one and may ask for your help when I have it Thanks

irishchris
23-12-10, 12:25
Ok thanks for reply I will try and get one and may ask for your help when I have it Thanks

no problem

Palinkat
05-01-11, 11:29
Hey guys,

Will it be possible then to use the Sundtek DVB-T and the Sundtek DVB-S2 at the same time, turning the DUO in a QUADRO :)?

Thanks

bassethound
05-01-11, 12:29
Its not possible to run two DVB-T tuners at the same time at the moment as the code is not there from VU

Palinkat
05-01-11, 15:01
Thanks bassethound, does the limitation also applies to running 1 DVB-T and 1 DVB-S2?

Thanks

bassethound
05-01-11, 15:21
Sorry i dont know the answer to that Palinkat i only know that VU only wrote the code to allow 1 DVB-T run with the inbuilt tuners

Diablo13
05-01-11, 23:18
So if I used a DVB-T in one of the unused usb ports, would I still be able to record from this third tuner to the VU+duo's internal hdd?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but I have never used an add on tuner before, though the idea of a third tuner to use on odd occasions seems like a useful one.

silverfox0786
05-01-11, 23:33
So if I used a DVB-T in one of the unused usb ports, would I still be able to record from this third tuner to the VU+duo's internal hdd?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but I have never used an add on tuner before, though the idea of a third tuner to use on odd occasions seems like a useful one.

Yes you would a Tuner C as DVB-T would give you another recordable tuner and you can continue watching on the sat tuners even record DVB-T and SAT and view the Other or many other combos

Diablo13
06-01-11, 01:54
Thanks for clearing that up for me silverfox.
What an awesome idea that you can simply add tuners by plugging them into a spare usb slot. It just shows the true versatility of the box and its something that would never have occurred to me if I hadn't read this thread! :thumbsup:

Now as I said earlier I have never used an add on tuner with anything, so can anyone recommend a good suitable one to use in this way, as it means I could then probably remove a freeview box from under my telly? :beer_toast:

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 07:13
Thanks for clearing that up for me silverfox.
What an awesome idea that you can simply add tuners by plugging them into a spare usb slot. It just shows the true versatility of the box and its something that would never have occurred to me if I hadn't read this thread! :thumbsup:

Now as I said earlier I have never used an add on tuner with anything, so can anyone recommend a good suitable one to use in this way, as it means I could then probably remove a freeview box from under my telly? :beer_toast:

buy a sundtek bit rxpensive but officailly supported by vuplus or you can buy a third pay one that is being worked on to be compatible so far an Azureware or NOVA-T,

with NOVA-T being the cheapest to get hold of but with that there may be a small wait b4 you can use it on VIX

Alanp
06-01-11, 08:34
Awaiting delivery of a DVB-S2 skytv ultimate usb sundtek tuner (not easy to get hold off)

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 08:45
Awaiting delivery of a DVB-S2 skytv ultimate usb sundtek tuner (not easy to get hold off)

have you checked the VU plus website if that is supported i have a feeling its not

Sicilian
06-01-11, 12:23
The Avermedia Volar Black HD is available at currys and pcworld for £19.97 atm ;) Will only tune SD Freeview though, not HD Freeview.

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 13:24
not sure how this will work but it should work on vu duo and the sky ultimate

put .sh file n tmp
chmod 755
start .sh file in telnet
follow prompt

heres a small report on it in respect to dreamboxes but in a german site it seems to work on the vu duo

posted today by sundtek

we are also waiting for reports from customers how the tuner performs, our tests were competitive. DVB-S2 will be supported within the next 1-2 weeks on the dreambox (the dreambox system is sending some requests which don't seem to be conform to the linux DVB API, since DVB-S2 works well with normal Linux PCs we'll work it out on the dreambox as well).

Stanman
06-01-11, 13:39
Are there any working HD freeview tuners?

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 13:43
Are there any working HD freeview tuners?

what i suspect is the main drivers in vu and the mux of the freeveiw that is why it dont work the avermedia is a hd tuner but wont tune hd in the british isles

irishchris
06-01-11, 14:13
the problem with the british isles is that the uk uses dvb-t mpeg 2 for its sd and dvb-T2 for its hd channels. ireland and a lot of europe use dvb-t mpeg 4 for its sd and hd and so the likes of avermedia etc work for our hd but for uk you would need a dvb-T2 usb tuner for hd

Stanman
06-01-11, 14:16
Chris any of those on the market and working for VIX?

is this any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WINTV-Mini-stick-HD-Compact/dp/B001P05QSU

I need a HD as well its HD:)

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 14:17

not yet stan

irishchris
06-01-11, 14:20

this one would work on pc etc but is not supported by vix at present.

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?4122-World-s-first-DVB-T2-tuner!-PCTV-systems-nanoStick-T2-290e-DVB-T2

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 14:21

is this any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WINTV-Mini-stick-HD-Compact/dp/B001P05QSU

I need a HD as well its HD:)

what you need to make sure stan is the stick is T2 HD not MPEG 2 HD and then with that said it needs to work on duo as well and vix does not have drivers at present for any of those sticks that are T2

DVB-T2 is what is needed for us

Stanman
06-01-11, 14:24
That would make the box complete for me anyway, as it does what I need it to do and the lovely things it could do but I dont know about, dont worry me:D

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 14:24
found this model that is T2 but again is all about working on the DUO

Hauppauge 23076 PCTV Nanostick T2 290E HD Digital USB 2.0

scan is selling it for £77

Stanman
06-01-11, 14:27
Heres hoping Andy gets some free time to sort this out. Should have learnt bloody programming!!

irishchris
06-01-11, 14:28
yes as i said only dvb-t2 will work but are very few models at mo and are overpriced but in time will come down

Palinkat
06-01-11, 16:29
Sorry i dont know the answer to that Palinkat i only know that VU only wrote the code to allow 1 DVB-T run with the inbuilt tuners

I have asked the question to VU+ Support, let's see what they say.

gipo
06-01-11, 23:53

Does this also mean that a "dual" DVB-T usb will not work? Will it ever?

Diablo13
07-01-11, 16:49
The VU Duo does what it needs to and more, and with 2 built in tuners it compares well to any other receivers around.
I think it would be great to add a third tuner, but I don't really see the point of adding only an sd tuner, unless your desperate for it?
It seems that the best thing to do now is wait awhile before shelling out for one, so that more HD types may become available and there is time for VU to write the necessary support firmware for them.

gipo
07-01-11, 18:20
Im in Ireland, where we wont be using dvb-t2. However at the minute the channels here are on one mux. Later this year there will be two, so that will limit the capabilities of recording on one mux and allowing to watch the other. So there will be some good need for this here, also I would think likewise in many european countries.

Huevos
07-01-11, 21:41
I don't really see the pointThe point is for just a few quid your Vu starts working as a hard drive recorder for terrestrial TV. Anyway right now the current HD offerings on UK terrestrial are only at a testing stage, current TVs don't have T2 tuners, and T2 STBs and PVRs currently cost a fortune.

Alanp
13-01-11, 18:26
not sure how this will work but it should work on vu duo and the sky ultimate

put .sh file n tmp
chmod 755
start .sh file in telnet
follow prompt

heres a small report on it in respect to dreamboxes but in a german site it seems to work on the vu duo

posted today by sundtek

we are also waiting for reports from customers how the tuner performs, our tests were competitive. DVB-S2 will be supported within the next 1-2 weeks on the dreambox (the dreambox system is sending some requests which don't seem to be conform to the linux DVB API, since DVB-S2 works well with normal Linux PCs we'll work it out on the dreambox as well).

Thanks mate should be despatched in about a weeks time according to sundtek I will let you know how I get on