PDA

View Full Version : sat or cable choice little question re cable

baz2011uk
31-10-15, 03:42
i am looking to buy a duo2 very soon am thinking the VU+ Duo 2 (1x Twin Tuner Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 Tuner) Enigma2 Linux Cable / Terrestrial Receiver Full HD 1080p PVR READY but want to make the correct choice and input from experienced users i am sure will help
this is all very new to me so please forgive me if my terminology is not correct
i understand the receivers have options of either sat twin sat ect / cable / or combo
i have a choice of either sat or cable as i have a dish and cables installed and i also have VM as my fibre internet connection i know i would need a splitter and take a feed to the receiver from the vm
i would rather the cable due to HD content still available
but never owning a cable box before i dont fully understand the recording part of it like sat needing 2 cables to enable watching 1 channel and recording another with a twin sat tuner installed
when using cable do i need to feed the receiver with 2 cables like sat to watch 1 channel and record another or is this done with just the 1 cable if 1 then the above is a good choice for what i need am i correct or do i need to have a twin cable tuner installed

sorry if this is such a basic question but never have cable before so i am not sure

i would get a sat and a cable tuner installed when buying but want to keep the costs down a little as i am new to this i was advised to get a cheap receiver to start with being to to it but to be honest i am willing to learn and take in as much as i can and with forums like this help is never far away
i am aware i can add tuners to this receiver if needed so it leaves an option at a later date if i decide to change

Andy_Hazza
31-10-15, 07:02
Cable is different to Satellite. If for example you have a receiver with four cable tuners, all you need is feed from virmin into Tuner A. Then small good quality loopthrough cables and you would then loopthrough from Tuner A to Tuner B, loopthrough Tuner B to Tuner C and loopthrough Tuner C to Tuner D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baz2011uk
31-10-15, 13:26
Cable is different to Satellite. If for example you have a receiver with four cable tuners, all you need is feed from virmin into Tuner A. Then small good quality loopthrough cables and you would then loopthrough from Tuner A to Tuner B, loopthrough Tuner B to Tuner C and loopthrough Tuner C to Tuner D.

so with the choice of box and tuner i put above i would still need to add another tuner to be able to record 1 and watch one will read up now on loopthrough to get a better understanding but pretty sure i get the idea

Andy_Hazza
31-10-15, 13:32
so with the choice of box and tuner i put above i would still need to add another tuner to be able to record 1 and watch one will read up now on loopthrough to get a better understanding but pretty sure i get the idea

Do you want a combo receiver (satellite & cable) or just a cable receiver?

baz2011uk
31-10-15, 13:35
just a cable receiver the vu duo2 above looks a very nice bit of kit but confused over the tuner thats with it as want to record 1 and watch 1

Andy_Hazza
31-10-15, 13:49
just a cable receiver the vu duo2 above looks a very nice bit of kit but confused over the tuner thats with it as want to record 1 and watch 1

This link is for the twin cable setup >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/VU-Plus-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Linux-HD-Cable-Receivers/VU-Plus-Duo2-Duo-2-1x-Twin-Tuner-DVB-DVB-C-T-T2-HD-Enigma-2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver which lets you record a channel and watch another.

Andy_Hazza
31-10-15, 13:52
You could also opt to have a pre-installed Twin Cable Hybrid Tuner installed so this gives you more options. I.e. Record 3 channels and watch one.

baz2011uk
31-10-15, 15:09
thanks Andy so i was looking at the correct box for what i wanted to do as was the same one on wos i was looking at i did look at the twin as well but was thinking i should get used this first and then add it in after would it be a plug and play if i did this and i take it i would then use the loopthrough as you explained

Andy_Hazza
31-10-15, 15:17
thanks Andy so i was looking at the correct box for what i wanted to do as was the same one on wos i was looking at i did look at the twin as well but was thinking i should get used this first and then add it in after would it be a plug and play if i did this and i take it i would then use the loopthrough as you explained

Yeah you just have to take the casing off n you would plug the tuner in, just like adding a graphics card etc to a pc mainboard.

baz2011uk
31-10-15, 15:42
thanks for the help Andy is there any other tips that would be handy to know being as its all new to me been having a good read up on the forum and other forums to as well