PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] (to VU+ Zero) - Cannot get Duo2 hard drive to mount on Zero.

realdannys
29-10-15, 14:27
Ive been trying for days now to get my VU+ Duo2 drive to mount on my Zero so it can share recordings, timeshift, picons etc.

Ive had it work ONCE for one night and the next morning it was broken again. I tried to remount it the same way, but nothing. Timeshift says the bookmark is unwritable, no recordings show up and I can't add any new bookmarks.

Ive enabled both NFS and Samba on the Duo to try with both from Zero. I've tried as NFS with no password (which is the time it actually worked!) and ive also tried wit root and a blank password. Ive tried Samba with no login and with root and blank. Ive rebooted both boxes numerous times.

Ive added manually and from the network search where it does see the box. At times ive managed to get the box mounted where I can manually navigate to the recordings but if I set it to "replace hard drive" as I want, it just fails again.

Everytime the network amount shows success and that the drive is mounted, but its never worked properly. I'm completely out of ideas, do I need to refresh my Zero? If so, what is the EXACT recommended way to mount the box? Via NFS or Samba (or turn neither on, on the Duo2?) should I use no login, or should I use root with no password? Should I add manually or via the network add? Should I add it as HDD2 or the standard HDD? Should I mount first and then go back and use as replacement HDD? Or should all of these options work and something else is broken here.

judge
29-10-15, 14:54
Maybe start with a fresh flash if you're mounts are now messed up & you're not sure how to fix them.
You only need NFS, install it on both boxes.
When done & both boxes are rebooted, on the client box, use Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Mounts setup -> Network browser.
When the server box shows, click it, pick no for username & password. Highlight & click the /media/hdd/ (or however it's mounted) share, again no for username & password.
All defaults including AutoFS on the following screen should be fine except for use as HDD replacement, set this to yes.

realdannys
29-10-15, 19:45
Thanks Judge - thats how i'd been doing it in the first place, so i'll try another reflash of my slave box and cross my fingers it works and sticks this time. Otherwise i'm at a loss and might need to post up debug logs.

cactikid
29-10-15, 23:37
when you said rebooted as in powered off at rear then on and ip of boxes have not changed?

realdannys
29-10-15, 23:52
when you said rebooted as in powered off at rear then on and ip of boxes have not changed?

No mate, i've given them static IP's.

judge
30-10-15, 00:12

I set all boxes with static IP's. When they reboot, they always have the same IP.
Multiple boxes using this method of sharing HDD, EPG, recordings an so on for years without issue.

realdannys
30-10-15, 00:19
I set all boxes with static IP's. When they reboot, they always have the same IP.
Multiple boxes using this method of sharing HDD, EPG, recordings an so on for years without issue.

The only thing I hadn't done from your initial instructions is also install NFS on the client box as I'm guessing its only to share as a NFS share not read which is built into linux, but i'll give it a go anyway as its whats working in your setup. The time I did once get it to actually act as the replacement drive (without NFS installed on the cilent) was doing the rest of your instructions exactly, so i'll just try to reflash the client and see what happens when I try again from scratch.

judge
30-10-15, 00:28
The only thing I hadn't done from your initial instructions is also install NFS on the client box.
I share HDDs between multiple boxes, some with HDDs, some without.
By default I just install NFS on all boxes.

realdannys
30-10-15, 00:47
I share HDDs between multiple boxes, some with HDDs, some without.
By default I just install NFS on all boxes.

Its worth a shot, I guess it doesn't really influence why my box doesn't mount, but computer based things can be weird at times! Probably starting from scratch and doing your instructions here the FIRST time might help - as I think the very first thing I did was try to manually mount it as I knew its IP and I think I would have entered a username with blank pass as I assumed it would want the default user and blank password. But when it did work I did as you said and left that blank, so best to just reset everything and try that again from scratch I guess.

judge
30-10-15, 00:55
Its worth a shot, I guess it doesn't really influence why my box doesn't mount, but computer based things can be weird at times! Probably starting from scratch and doing your instructions here the FIRST time might help - as I think the very first thing I did was try to manually mount it as I knew its IP and I think I would have entered a username with blank pass as I assumed it would want the default user and blank password. But when it did work I did as you said and left that blank, so best to just reset everything and try that again from scratch I guess.
At least 3 or 4 different ways of mounting drives in E2, not to mind each of those ways rules & when they get confused it can be a bit of a nightmare to fix them all.
IMO, best to use 1 way that you know works on all boxes.

realdannys
04-11-15, 14:20
At least 3 or 4 different ways of mounting drives in E2, not to mind each of those ways rules & when they get confused it can be a bit of a nightmare to fix them all.
IMO, best to use 1 way that you know works on all boxes.

Just wanted to let you know I did a refresh and added from scratch and all is working well so far! :)

realdannys
27-11-15, 14:38
Update to this - its flakey as hell.

I'd say it works about 20% of the time. But worse still if the Zero crashes or needs to be rebooted it totally loses the network shares and I have to add them from scratch again.

Even when I add them, I get a green tick as if they are working, but I still need to reboot a few times until it occasionally uses the Vu+ Duo2 drive as a replacement hard drive and hey presto, the EPG and picons are there and everything works...for a short time. I've tried reflashing from scratch multiple times and every version up to 023 (which had other massive problems so i've rolled back) but it just never sticks or works properly.