PDA

View Full Version : Strange Issue

joysleep1
28-10-15, 19:31
Hey guys
Not sure if this problem is with my particular box (et10000) or could be an issue with other e2 boxes but i am having a weird tuner issue.
I woke up this morning and found that while my box is in standby. It shows the letter B on the front indicating that Tuner B is in use. I confirmed it when i clicked OK on the remote and while on a cable channel it showed a letter B next the C. I quickly checked that i am not recording anything any port forwarding is currently off. Nothing being downloaded. I do not understand what is using Tuner B. I never had time to fully investigation and thought it might turn itself off after i come back from work. (Note. Tuner B is a satellite tuner)
I came back and it is still in use. No one is using the tuner and i can not understand why it is in constant use. The hardrive goes into standby so it obviously is not using it to view a channel or anything
It is strange
Any ideas??
Thanks guys

Larry-G
28-10-15, 19:35
open a telnet session and issue the netstat command, this will show you if any one is connected to your receiver remotely and give their ip address etc.

joysleep1
28-10-15, 21:12
open a telnet session and issue the netstat command, this will show you if any one is connected to your receiver remotely and give their ip address etc.

But that's impossible
I've shut down port forwarding and my remote server

Larry-G
28-10-15, 21:31
But that's impossible
I've shut down port forwarding and my remote server

Of course it's not impossible. Port forwarding is not the only way some one can hack into a Enigma2 based receiver, it's just the easiest way to find boxes in the first place. As has been stated numerous times Enigma2 has nothing in the way of a meaningful security setup barring a simple user name and password combination. If your receiver has been hacked in the past it's very easy for them to find and hack you again unless you tightened up your security.

So run the command and see for your self or don't it's up to you.

Sicilian
28-10-15, 21:36

Thx Larry, one my home receivers keep getting of the sat tuners occupied. Going to try this next time it happens.

joysleep1
28-10-15, 21:49
OK Larry
Can you explain this a bit more than. I go to network then click telnet. The service is running. What exactly do I need to do?

ronand
28-10-15, 22:20
You need to use a telnet client on your pc such as putty.

ccs
28-10-15, 22:26
...or enable the windows telnet client (google "enable telnet windows").

joysleep1
29-10-15, 18:05
i downloaded putty but then i am confused about what to do next. But the strange thing is that if someone was trying to hack into my box and view a channel then my hardrive will continue spinning as if i was watching something.
But it is silent with just the icon B on the front. i am tempted to to do a reflash but i was wandering if i can take my appollo settings and used that in the new build?
Is that possible?

birdman
30-10-15, 04:09
Of course it's not impossible. Port forwarding is not the only way some one can hack into a Enigma2 based receiver.Assuming that the box is behind a router, rather than connected directly to the Internet, how is any external system going to connect to it without port forwarding? I (and NSA/GCHQ) would love to know.

Rob van der Does
30-10-15, 04:29
There is an other option, one I run into quite often. If you have devices in your LAN being used for streaming from the box (a PC, laptop, mobile (kids?), STB) it happens quite often that the tuner of the server box isn't being released when the device stops streaming.
So what I would do is:
1- 'netstat' in telnet: that will tell you if any device (on LAN or WAN) is actually connected.
2- disconnect the LAN-cable from the server to make sure no device is connected any more and see if the tuner is being released.
3- If no connected devices show up: reboot the box and see if it is 'free' now (and remains so).

Rob van der Does
30-10-15, 04:33
Assuming that the box is behind a router, rather than connected directly to the Internet, how is any external system going to connect to it without port forwarding?
Only way I can think of is when the box has also wifi and uses the Wireless Accesspoint plugin. But then a stranger should be very close by.

joysleep1
30-10-15, 10:13
Hi rob
I flashed to the latest build and that seems to have fixed the problem.
Now I have another issue where I can't get my second receiver to share the hardrive using mounting access point. Every time I try to install nfs share on my primary receiver it keeps rebooting but not installing
I need to look into this now