PDA

View Full Version : stopping a recording without deleting it?

fredphoesh
28-10-15, 15:53
Hello guys
I have been trying for about an hour to figure out how to stop a timer recording before it finishes automatically WITHOUT deleting the recording.

What I have been doing is this:

1/ create timer recording using the EPG
2/ press the bottom "REC" red button to get a list of options
3/ choose 5 - stop timer recording
4/ see my current recording listed, but have only two options, Delete or Add

Delete will stop the recording AND delete the recording. ADD will add another timer...

so this is rather baffling...

Any ideas how to stop recording without deleting?

Thanks,
Mark.

judge
28-10-15, 16:45
What image & build are you using?
Try short press green for list of timers.
Highlight the recording timer & press red to delete it.
This will leave the recorded part where you saved it.
You will also have options when pressing record on live TV if it's recording that service.

fredphoesh
28-10-15, 18:19
What image & build are you using?
Try short press green for list of timers.
Highlight the recording timer & press red to delete it.
This will leave the recorded part where you saved it.
You will also have options when pressing record on live TV if it's recording that service.

Hi
Thanks for the response. I have customised my short press green to do something else, but that timer list is the same list AFAIK which you get to when you press the REC button and then choose to STOP TIMER RECORDING. If you do that, you get to a screen which says Delete or Add as the two options. If you press Delete, you delete the actual recording! Which is very unintuitive, and I still do not see a way to stop the recording without deleting it...

I updated my image today via Software Update in Settings..., so have nothing to update.

Still baffled...

ccs
28-10-15, 20:45
You can go into movies/recordings, select the programme, red to delete, and select stop recording.

fredphoesh
28-10-15, 22:11
You can go into movies/recordings, select the programme, red to delete, and select stop recording.

Hi
That is so weirdly implemented IMO.
If you go to timer, delete will delete the recording, not just the timer
If you press the stop button, nothing happens
If you press the record button and choose stop timer recording, you go to the timer interface where you can only delete the recording and timer.

but thanks, now I will go to the movies/recordings list to stop a recording!

very, very odd...

birdman
29-10-15, 03:00
Hi
That is so weirdly implemented IMO.
If you go to timer, delete will delete the recording, not just the timerIt doesn't for me - I've just confirmed it (since that is how I've always deleted running timers).
When I go to the timer list and delete a running timer it just asks me whether I wish to delete the timer. If I answer yes then the recording stops, but the existing part of the recording still exists in its original location.

And if I press Record then select option 5 (Stop timer recording) then the menu you get to is the timer list (i.e. the same as a standard green button).

I have spotted a different bug while testing this, though. If you delete a recording (the file - not a timer) and then delete another one with the same name (i.e. another part of the same programme) then it overwrites the first deletion files in .Trash (as it has the same name). Not all that important though, as any full recording would have different names (from the start time-stamp part).

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 07:23
How odd! I wonder if it is channel related... Did you start your recording by using the EPG?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 08:10
How odd! I wonder if it is channel related... Did you start your recording by using the EPG?

... AND NOW IT'S WORKING!
I will keep an eye on it... and see if there's any specific conditions that might cause it.
Cheers,
Mark.

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 08:14
1- Using the 'Rec'-button for stopping a timer only works for 'quick entry timers' (timers made via the 'Rec'-button).
2- Deleting an active timer will not delete the actual recording.
3- The movie list has the option to stop a timer (movie list --> red), with or without deleting the recording.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 08:20
Hi Rob, thanks, yes that is how it is working now, but wasn't yesterday!

And now to figure out how to stop timeshift. Pressing stop takes me within a second of being off, but the words timeshift still show on the info bar. I also configured the green button to stop timeshift but it doesn't take the word away from info. And now it's gone after two minutes of pressing stop...

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 08:51
Have you configured Timeshift to the 'ask user' setting?
If you do, you get questions about what you want to do when you hit the 'stop'-button.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 09:06
Have you configured Timeshift to the 'ask user' setting?
If you do, you get questions about what you want to do when you hit the 'stop'-button.
Hi Rob,
In timeshift settings, there isn't an ask user option...
Timeshift location
Auto start after...
Show warning?
Save after zap?
Stop timeshift while recording?
Use timeshift seek bar?

Is there some other place to set this?

Stanman
29-10-15, 09:27
Timeshift - save action on zap

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 09:35
Hi,
I now changed it to ask user, and pressing stop doesn't stop timeshift
Pressing the green button I configured to stop timeshift doesn't stop timeshift either
Neither of those options ask me anything.
I've checked to see its still set on "ask user", so it is...

How do I "zap" a channel I'm already watching?

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 10:09
Hi Rob,
In timeshift settings, there isn't an ask user option...
Timeshift location
Auto start after...
Show warning?
Save after zap?
Stop timeshift while recording?
Use timeshift seek bar?

Is there some other place to set this?
I hope the two screenies speak for themselves:

45455 45454

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 10:14
What do you press to see the second screen? I only got that when changing to another channel

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 10:28
Any action that would you get out of timeshift.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 10:30
Like pressing stop?
Like pressing a customised key to stop timeshift?
Neither works!

So this means you have to change channels to stop timeshift?

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 10:32
Yes, just checked: 'Stop' also brings up this screen.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 10:33
Nope, not on vu solo2 or vu zero running latest openvix...

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 10:38
I will make a video to show you, but should probably be start a new thread to help other who may have this problem... Thanks for your help! Cheers Rob, Tot siens?

judge
29-10-15, 10:47
Nope, not on vu solo2 or vu zero running latest openvix...

Just checked here on Solo2.
With timeshift enabled & all other settings as default.

When in timeshift, pressing stop exits timeshift.
Changing channels brings up the what do you want to do with timeshift menu options.

All working as expected.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 11:06
Just checked here on Solo2.
With timeshift enabled & all other settings as default.

When in timeshift, pressing stop exits timeshift.
Changing channels brings up the what do you want to do with timeshift menu options.

All working as expected.
Ok ill do a video, I just checked too... As I'd said n the beginning, pressing stop takes you half a second behind real time, and info still displays timeshift as half a second behind... After 12 minites of waiting,timeshift is still half a second behind... But it is still ON!

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 11:21
Have a look at this video

https://youtu.be/Wlo1BG29xeU

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 11:35
Hehe, no need t prove your statement. But that's not how it's supposed to be, and not how I can reproduce.
However: I don't have the same box, and drivers play a role in TS as well.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 12:53
Hehe, no need t prove your statement. But that's not how it's supposed to be, and not how I can reproduce.
However: I don't have the same box, and drivers play a role in TS as well.

Hey there Rob,
What do you mean by drivers? I'm using a HDD, and the same thing happens if I use memory stick... what kind of drivers, can I change/fix them?
Cheers.

Rob van der Does
29-10-15, 13:07
Nope: drivers are supplied by the manufacturer of the box, and they're closed source.
They are a layer between hard- and software.

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 13:10
Hmm, but I have two brand new VU boxes from world of satellite shop, so they "should" have the newest and proper drivers?

judge
29-10-15, 13:43
Hmm, but I have two brand new VU boxes from world of satellite shop, so they "should" have the newest and proper drivers?

Drivers are rarely bug free & yes, you do have the latest.
I notice this issue the odd time on my Solo2 as well. Not a big deal though?

fredphoesh
29-10-15, 14:13

Hi, no, not a big deal... it just "feels" like "something is wrong" and that it is using the hard drive unnecessarily... though I suppose it is using the hard drive anyway since I can press rewind at any time and go back a bit, even without setting the timeslip to be on each time.

Thanks for all the input...
Mark

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 11:51
Judge, I take that back, actually it is a big deal... I recorded the WTA tennis this morning because I was working, and got back home ready to watch, pressed the red key to stop recording, which gave me the option to Stop Recording. Then it took me to the timer window and asked if I wanted to delete "WTA Tennis Finals", but this didn't say if this meant the timer (assumed since I was in the timer interface) or the media. So I press red to Delete, and BOTH timer and recording disappeared, lost, gone... No recoding to watch, and all I was doing was to stop recording. I do think this is a big deal, as this is something I will need to be able to rely on frequently.

Any hopes to fix this bug?
Tx
Fred

Rob van der Does
30-10-15, 12:05
You have been offered a number of ways to stop a timer. As you apparently have found a possible issue with one of them, why do you still use it?
The most easy one (at least IMHO) is movielist --> red --> stop recording. I do that all the time and never had any issues at all.
Having said that: I never use the rec-button at all, neither for starting a recording, nor for stopping one, nor for adding a timer.

judge
30-10-15, 12:06
Judge, I take that back, actually it is a big deal... I recorded the WTA tennis this morning because I was working, and got back home ready to watch, pressed the red key to stop recording, which gave me the option to Stop Recording. Then it took me to the timer window and asked if I wanted to delete "WTA Tennis Finals", but this didn't say if this meant the timer (assumed since I was in the timer interface) or the media. So I press red to Delete, and BOTH timer and recording disappeared, lost, gone... No recoding to watch, and all I was doing was to stop recording. I do think this is a big deal, as this is something I will need to be able to rely on frequently.

Any hopes to fix this bug?
Tx
Fred

Can you take screenshots to describe what you mean?
I've never had any recordings delete without telling any box to delete them.
Stop recording doesn't = delete recording.

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 12:07
Because I did what was obvious... I forgot the work-around to stop the recording. There are not "a number of ways", just that one... I will try remember to use that next time. Thanks.

judge
30-10-15, 12:15
What work around to stop recording?
Stop recording has always worked as expected, same as stop timer, delete timer and so on...

Rob van der Does
30-10-15, 12:17
Because I did what was obvious... I forgot the work-around to stop the recording. There are not "a number of ways", just that one... I will try remember to use that next time. Thanks.
There are three:
1- Via the rec-button
2- Via the timers
3- Via the movie list

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 12:17
What work around to stop recording?
Stop recording has always worked as expected, same as stop timer, delete timer and so on...

Hi Judge,
Here is a video I just made... which shows the bug pretty clearly!
https://youtu.be/bfmvkI4GrVM

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 12:19
There are three:
1- Via the rec-button (does not work, as it just takes me to the timer)
2- Via the timers (deletes the recording, as in the youtube video https://youtu.be/bfmvkI4GrVM)
3- Via the movie list go to a movie to stop a recording? hmmm... I will try that, but that is certainly a work-around, as movies are not current recordings!

judge
30-10-15, 12:24
Timeshift & recordings are different things, both save differently. Are they being confused here or am I missing something?

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 12:27
Rob and Judge, BTW, I will test to see if the fact I was on Timeslip makes all the difference...
What I was trying to do this morning was to start recording the two tennis matches, come home, "rewind" to the start of the recording and watch it while continuing to record... but I did not know how to do that so I used TIMESLIP to go back 2 hours to watch from the beginning, then wanted to stop the recording when I knew the matches were over... this is when I inadvertently deleted the recording.

Thanks for the help,
Fred.

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 12:30
Timeshift & recordings are different things, both save differently. Are they being confused here or am I missing something?

No, I am not confused about what they are... see my response about why I was using timeshift sent a few minutes ago. Did you watch the video?

judge
30-10-15, 12:32
You can start watching a recording while its still recording by pressing the file list button. No need to start watching by timeshift.
Deleting a recording and stopping timeshift are different things.
Maybe I'm not getting your description of a bug?

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 12:35
You can start watching a recording while its still recording by pressing the file list button. No need to start watching by timeshift.
By - file list- do you mean the movies button? There wasn't any current recording there to play. This is what I was trying to do, but isn't my prime concern at the moment.

More important is the deletion... yes, I'd consider deleting a recording when you specifically chose to stop a recording a bug.

Rob van der Does
30-10-15, 13:05
As far as I understand the last couple of posting, this is about (improper) using timeshift. This has nothing to do with timers and hence not with deleting a imer or stopping a recording.

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 13:10
As far as I understand the last couple of posting, this is about (improper) using timeshift. This has nothing to do with timers and hence not with deleting a imer or stopping a recording.

Hi, actually that is not true... see the video below which shows the same bug WITHOUT timeshift.
https://youtu.be/eyTu4zLf6OI

Rob van der Does
30-10-15, 13:31
Well, no idea then. I can't reproduce this.

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 17:09
Well, no idea then. I can't reproduce this.

The only things I have "done" to my box are customise the coloured buttons, installed some networking addons to get remote box to box recorded media sharing... maybe I should create an image of my box, then factory reset it. If it does not work, I may have to try blackhole, if that does not work, I will return the boxes as faulty.

fredphoesh
30-10-15, 20:07
OMG the greatest of red faced apologies here... See the yellow LOCATION button???? Sheesh. I clicked that, selected had, and whammo, all my "missing, and deleted" recordings are there!

Thanks for your patience, I will edit the opening post so anyone using the forum and has a similar problem can check location first.

Cheers, Fred...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/d489777fa1d66f8ddc54c959bcbed2cd.jpg

Rob van der Does
31-10-15, 04:54
LOL I knew it wasn't the box's fault :cool:
Anyway: good to see the 'issue' sorted and for sure you're never going to forget this functionality :p

fredphoesh
31-10-15, 08:28

Thanks... now I changed the LOCATION I can see my current recording in the file list and playback from the start while continuing recording... very nice to miss adverts, pause for a cup of tea etc... cheers!