PDA

View Full Version : Background Check

roybach
23-10-15, 15:28
Hi all, Still suffering crashes at infrequent intervals , updated to Vix 3.2.015 with no noticeable improvement at all . Is anyone able to explain why I get the message " A background update check is in progress* ? I have automatic software update disabled. I am unable to FTP , download Plugins or do a Settings restore while this mysterious check is going on. :confused:

Larry-G
23-10-15, 15:33
Hi all, Still suffering crashes at infrequent intervals , updated to Vix 3.2.015 with no noticeable improvement at all . Is anyone able to explain why I get the message " A background update check is in progress* ? I have automatic software update disabled. I am unable to FTP , download Plugins or do a Settings restore while this mysterious check is going on. :confused:

There is no such thing as a automatic software update on ViX and there never has been nor will there ever be. There is however a update check that simply pings the server to see if a update is available then notify's the user accordingly.

roybach
23-10-15, 15:58
Hi Larry-G, thanks for the response , sounds like you know something about the subject . Enclose three pictures for your perusal and hopefully you may offer some explanation as to the cause of the error messages. 453394534045341

lxt1024
24-10-15, 00:48
I got this error once so far after flashing build 15 couple days ago. I'm guessing because someone mentioned the site will be up and down at the moment?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

lxt1024
24-10-15, 09:10
Turned on the box just now and was looking through my recorded programs, exited this to go back to live tv and the error screen appeared same as Roybach and his screen shots. Any ideas what this is about and whether to be concerned?

roybach
24-10-15, 11:23
I don't think that the Vix team know the answer , over the last couple of weeks I have sent log files and also made posts here but have failed to get any positive response from anyone , there are other posters on the forum with the same problem with other makes of boxes . I am personally suspecting a virus has infected Vix as it appears that when users including myself revert to an earlier Image that worked the same errors are still present , just as if the problem is now resident in the STB's memory. I even contacted Golden Interstar in Germany asking if they could inform me of a means of wiping the LX2 clean , they suggested re loading the Boot Loader which I tried without achieving anything, the problem remains. :mad:

lxt1024
24-10-15, 11:36
Possibly. Also, I have done about 4 usb flashes and the front display of the Vu+ Duo2 shows progress info and percentage etc smoothly and completes. The last flash for build 15 I this time used the download image to hard drive method and noticed that the onscreen progress mentioned 5 bad blocks but normal. I know this can be normal for bad blocks for memory and drives but this extra info shown does make me wonder...

lxt1024
24-10-15, 11:58
Saw an older post and the bad blocks should be ok if it stays the same. Would still like to know whats causing the error message though....

Larry-G
24-10-15, 12:22
I don't think that the Vix team know the answer , over the last couple of weeks I have sent log files and also made posts here but have failed to get any positive response from anyone , there are other posters on the forum with the same problem with other makes of boxes . I am personally suspecting a virus has infected Vix as it appears that when users including myself revert to an earlier Image that worked the same errors are still present , just as if the problem is now resident in the STB's memory. I even contacted Golden Interstar in Germany asking if they could inform me of a means of wiping the LX2 clean , they suggested re loading the Boot Loader which I tried without achieving anything, the problem remains. :mad:

wow, just wow.

so because no one came along to wipe your arse for you in a timely fashion, your now trying to accuse ViX of being infected with a virus ?. seriously dude go sit under the stairs with your tin foil hat on.

Maybe no one answered you because the same question has been asked and answered many dozens of times over several years. and no just because your box says it has a background check in progress does not mean its infected with a virus. Jesus H Christ your a moron.

Larry-G
24-10-15, 12:24
Saw an older post and the bad blocks should be ok if it stays the same. Would still like to know whats causing the error message though....

It's not a error message, its just a totally different way of flashing the box to using a USB stick and nothing at all to be worried about.

roybach
24-10-15, 15:32
Thanks for the personal reply Larry-G , as a beta tester you are a credit to the Vix team.

abu baniaz
24-10-15, 16:09
Most people attach their logs to thread with their issue.

There are others who send their logs from the receiver, but also post their problem on the forum with a full descrtiption. They also quote the reference number that is given when the logs are submitted.

roybach
24-10-15, 17:13
Have done/ tried all means available abu baniaz ,and have also had a reference number given with the proviso to quote if I had any questions regarding the errors , I was not aware that I needed to follow up from my end so to speak . I took it upon myself to wait for support to respond if and when they had an answer, otherwise I could possibly be rudely flamed for my impatience .

abu baniaz
24-10-15, 17:26
Where is the log attached?
Where did you post the reference numbers?

roybach
24-10-15, 20:41
Logs sent using the link as advised by yourself abu on 13/10/15 -post 2 " LX2 Driving me nuts" . I Enclose the latest log for perusal . Sorry , but I didn't post the reference number anywhere , I just received it after the aforementioned.

abu baniaz
24-10-15, 20:45
your receiver is crashing here:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 660, in <module>
runScreenTest()
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 466, in runScreenTest
plugins.readPluginList(resolveFilename(SCOPE_PLUGI NS))
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/PluginComponent.py", line 104, in readPluginList
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/PluginComponent.py", line 30, in addPlugin
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/Hotplug/plugin.py", line 67, in autostart
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/posixbase.py", line 408, in listenUNIX
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/unix.py", line 293, in startListening
CannotListenError: Couldn't listen on any:/tmp/hotplug.socket: [Errno 2] No such file or directory.

Peterj
24-10-15, 20:55
Do you have USB devices connected?
Try without them.

abu baniaz
24-10-15, 21:12
Please try the following:

Download latest image.
Disconnect ethernet cable from receiver.
Reboot router.
Flash image.
Do not restore settings
Do not restore plugins.
Connect ethernet cable
Set up your receiver from scratch. Install bear minumum of plugins. Keep a record of all plugins you install. Add plugins gradually.

Please also note the following for future support threads:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!

roybach
24-10-15, 21:13
I have indeed a 32 gb Usb Flash drive connected with a Picon folder , Cross EPG, Backups, and Log files folder stored on it. Surely nothing to cause repeated crashes?
Will try your suggestions abu but believe me other than removing the cable before a Flash I have done all the rest , the only extra Plugins I install is Autobouquet 28e and Softcam mg_camd 138.
and used to work fine with this configuration previously. Off to re flash as per suggestion .

Peterj
24-10-15, 21:50
The hotplug handles among others USB devices.

abu baniaz
24-10-15, 22:07
upload your mg_cfg to this thread please.

did you install Mgcamd from the plugin menu?

judge
25-10-15, 02:41
Finally managed to get this background check error today.
Only happened on one of multiple boxes (TM2T).
As background software update check is only run every 6hrs by default, presume it was down to my network being bogged down at the time or my router in a reboot when I realised.
No crash, just an error stuck on screen on a headless box, so didn't spot it at the time.

Larry-G
25-10-15, 07:31
Thanks for the personal reply Larry-G , as a beta tester you are a credit to the Vix team.

Maybe I was a little harsh but I do tend to get a little peed off at people who blindly run around screaming that their box is infected with no form of proof, that kind of thing sticks even when there is no truth to it. same thing applies to people who think it's their rite to demand support without realizing every one of us here does this entirely on our own time for free, we are not paid tech support but satellite enthusiasts exactly like your self, regardless of who you bought your receiver from, be it the sponsor or not. If you want help there is a way to go about it without making a tantrum out of nothing.

2stein
25-10-15, 09:03
Maybe I was a little harsh.
you?... no... never...

Larry-G
25-10-15, 10:01
you?... no... never...

LMAO, have a look in MK's bootlogo thread. I think the newest one kind of sums me up, wouldn't you say so ?.

roybach
25-10-15, 11:23
upload your mg_cfg to this thread please.

did you install Mgcamd from the plugin menu?
Hi abu baniaz , Yes, Mgcamd installed from Plugins.

roybach
25-10-15, 11:38
abu baniaz -Carried out a re flash exactly as you advised , went through the basic setup selected "simple"- "single" - " 28.2e " - "automatic scan* and crash. Log file enclosed.

Rob van der Does
25-10-15, 11:52
Looks like an Mgcamd-issue to me.
Can you try an other CAM please?

roybach
25-10-15, 14:14
Looks like an Mgcamd-issue to me.
Can you try an other CAM please?

I can't load any other cam due to not being able to download any Plugins or FTP to the STB , which of course is another problem I'm experiencing. The only time I manage to FTP and download Plugins is for a short period of time after the initial re flash , once a crash has occurred as in post 27 then FTP and Plugin downloads is impossible. It will require a re flash for me to enable a change of Softcam.

ccs
25-10-15, 14:20
Won't a telnet "init 4" prevent the crash and then ftp will be available?

roybach
25-10-15, 15:16
Thanks ccs, I'm not familiar with Telnet commands but shall make a note of your hint as it could be indispensable as a work round .

Sicilian
25-10-15, 15:18
Thanks ccs, I'm not familiar with Telnet commands but shall make a note of your hint as it could be indispensable as a work round .

Can you please fresh flash build 007 from here http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/GI-Xpeed-LX/Archives%203.2/openvix-3.2.007.release-xpeedlx_usb.zip

Do a fresh flash and setup. DO NOT RESTORE ANY SETTINGS OR BACKUPS. Setup fresh.

DO NOT ONLINE UPDATE. Stay on build 007 and report back.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY EXTRA'S. NO SOFTCAMS, NOTHING.

ccs
25-10-15, 15:21
Thanks ccs, I'm not familiar with Telnet commands but shall make a note of your hint as it could be indispensable as a work round .In case you do use it at some point, "init 4" stops enigma and "init 3" restarts it again.

Sicilian
25-10-15, 15:23
@ Roy, please follow my post 32.

roybach
25-10-15, 15:46
Sicilian, I shall do it now and thanks ccs, all noted

roybach
25-10-15, 16:11
Re Flashed 3.2.07 as requested , Crashed during Satellite 28.2 channel scan as in post "27" ?????????? :confused:

Sicilian
25-10-15, 16:25
Ignore automatic scan, use autobouqetmaker or manual scan for now.

roybach
25-10-15, 16:56
Done , used Autoboquetmaker, that worked as no crashes yet.

Sicilian
25-10-15, 16:59
Done , used Autoboquetmaker, that worked as no crashes yet.

Please keep us posted. Do not update or add anything extra. Let us know after 24 hours please.

Also note Automatic scan does normally end up in a long spinner, if left long enough it does clear after a whiles, depends on satellites and speed of receiver.

roybach
25-10-15, 17:19
Crashed after less than one hour of viewing. :confused::confused:

Sicilian
25-10-15, 17:23

Are you 100% sure you used build 007?

Please post a photo of the following screen, Menu > Infoformation > About and also Blue Button > ViX > Softcam setup.

Thanks.

Sicilian
25-10-15, 17:35
After it crashes, can you FTP to the receiver?

Huevos
25-10-15, 17:50
What softcams do the people with this crash have installed?

Sicilian
25-10-15, 18:14

I've twice asked you not to install anything extra, your log clearly shows you installed MGcamd 1.35a.

roybach
25-10-15, 19:35
I hold my hands up Sicilian ,I did indeed install Mgcamd 1.35a as I was curious to know if indeed it was possibly the cause of all the grief rather than wait 24 hours, I did re-flash immediately after without any add-ons and it has been stable since doing so , if it proves to be the case that the Softcam is the root of the problem it begs the question of "why" ?. I can FTP right now but can't seem to do anything with plugins - download or remove any. And yes I am on 3.2.07 as shown in picture. Thanks for your patience.45380

Sicilian
25-10-15, 20:00
I hold my hands up Sicilian ,I did indeed install Mgcamd 1.35a as I was curious to know if indeed it was possibly the cause of all the grief rather than wait 24 hours, I did re-flash immediately after without any add-ons and it has been stable since doing so , if it proves to be the case that the Softcam is the root of the problem it begs the question of "why" ?. I can FTP right now but can't seem to do anything with plugins - download or remove any. And yes I am on 3.2.07 as shown in picture. Thanks for your patience.45380

Please report back after 24 hours using as free to air with no extra's installed.

Also please post your mg_cfg file.

roybach
25-10-15, 20:25
45381 mg_cfg file as requested,

roybach
25-10-15, 21:24
Crashed again ,this time without any Softcam installed .

Huevos
25-10-15, 22:29
No one in the ViX team can replicate this crash.

Please describe how you did your install. Did you restore a backup when you installed the image. If so please post the backup.

Sicilian
25-10-15, 22:43
Once setup, please disable this:

Blue Button > ViX > Softcam Manager > Press Menu whilst in the softcam manager screen and disable softcam frozen check, set to no.

Let us know the outcome.

roybach
25-10-15, 22:43
I re flashed as suggested by Sicilian using a USB Flash drive , proceeded through the basic setup configuration manually , used Autobouquet maker to scan 28.2e only inserted a USB flash drive and mounted it and configured Logs to be dumped to it. Selected Sky UK as epg provider and the epg file again to be stored on the flash drive . disabled any automatic software updates and that was about it. Watched the rugby ,had tea ,watched a film and Crash.

ccs
25-10-15, 22:44
Old thread, I know, but there may be a clue...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?4750-Errors-in-cam-check-log

roybach
25-10-15, 22:49
Disabled softcam frozen check, but should mention that no Softcam is installed and wasn't at the time of last crash at 20.10

roybach
27-10-15, 11:59
Update. Box was stable after the last mentioned crash but only as an FTA box ,left it on overnight and was surprised to find it still running in the morning , Loaded softcam mgcmd 135a and using mg_cfg and newcamd.list from a known working box and it worked for two hours before crashing, following the crash I was unable to download any plugins or FTP to the box and the Autostart in the Network menu would not respond to selection via the remote. :confused:

Huevos
27-10-15, 12:05
Logs please.

roybach
27-10-15, 13:18
Just re flashed 3.2.007 and set up basics, ran autobouquetsmaker all good , installed Plugin Autobouquet (28e) and ran successfully . now Plugins and FTP not working. Not sure if the attached logs relate to this .
I would be agreeable to loan this box to a member of the Vix team for analysis if they think they may achieve something from it.4541845417

Sicilian
27-10-15, 13:37
Just re flashed 3.2.007 and set up basics, ran autobouquetsmaker all good , installed Plugin Autobouquet (28e) and ran successfully . now Plugins and FTP not working. Not sure if the attached logs relate to this .
I would be agreeable to loan this box to a member of the Vix team for analysis if they think they may achieve something from it.4541845417

You've posted crashlogs from two different images.

I tested an LX2 yesterday all day and night using build 016, no issues at all.

Peterj
27-10-15, 13:48
Have you already flashed using image manager?
If not use image manager to download an image and flash that again.

Mr. Mister
27-10-15, 14:45
Just re flashed 3.2.007 and set up basics, ran autobouquetsmaker all good , installed Plugin Autobouquet (28e) and ran successfully .

Hi Roy.
Can i ask the reason why you have installed Plugin Autobouqet 28e ..??
You have no need for that if your using Vix inbuilt autobouquetmaker..
Or am i missing something.. ?

roybach
27-10-15, 15:43
1 Sicilian : I tried 016 re flash hoping for a result. Maybe my box is the problem.
2 Peter J: I'm not familiar with Image Manager , more details would be appreciated.
3 Mr Mister: I find that it groups the channels more to my liking. Why it prevents access to Plugins after installing as well as stopping FTP working
Thanks all

Peterj
27-10-15, 15:51
menu -> setup -> VIX
you wil find a backup manager for making backups of your settings and plugins,
and you will find an image manager to make a complete image backup or restore.
Also you can download the newest image in the image manager and 'restore' it.

I hardly ever use an USB stick for flashing. Mostly the image manager.

roybach
27-10-15, 22:31
Thanks for the info Peter J , I was not aware that it was possible to download the newest image , I shall have a play with that tomorrow. Admin can feel free to close this thread as I think all avenues have now been covered. Grateful to all who have contributed , thanks everybody.