PDA

View Full Version : Realtek RTL8192CU driver missing from fresh 3.2.015

aido
21-10-15, 17:45
I've just received a Micro box today and it doesn't look like the latest build (3.2.015) contains the Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n driver.

I bought the Gigablue module from the sponsor with the box and it wasn't detected at all with a fresh flash until I downloaded the RTL8192CU driver from the plugins via a bridged connection off a laptop wifi.

Is the Realtek RTL8192CU driver supposed to still be included in the image by default as if so it's missing?

Sicilian
21-10-15, 17:59
No its not currently pre-installed, in needs installing via online plugin feeds.

aido
21-10-15, 19:06
Thanks mate, it's working lovely, just finished off tweaking it but it's a really nice fast little box - might have to upgrade the other half's XP1000 soon and give that someone else!

ccs
21-10-15, 19:41
No its not currently pre-installed, in needs installing via online plugin feeds.Pity it's not on all images - having to create an ethernet connection every time I reflash is a real pain.

aido
21-10-15, 21:44
Pity it's not on all images - having to create an ethernet connection every time I reflash is a real pain.
It did look like it's built into the factory Miraclebox image as that detected the USB wifi adaptor which is what initially confused me.

If the drivers could be added into the base images that would probably save a lot of people a lot of time but I guess they were removed for a reason?

Sicilian
21-10-15, 23:02
Not been removed, the RTL8192CU drivers have never been pre-installed for this model. Problem is, how many drivers do we pre-install? If we installed all drivers it would make the image huge to flash.

aido
21-10-15, 23:12
I'm not sure what chipset is in that Ferguson 150Mbps one mate but if that and the Realtek RTL8192CU from the GigaBlue 300Mbps one were preinstalled that would cover the two options that the sponsor sells?

I worked around it quite easily but it might just make life easier for those situations where the box is being set up away from a router?

birdman
22-10-15, 02:10
Not been removed, the RTL8192CU drivers have never been pre-installed for this model. Problem is, how many drivers do we pre-install? If we installed all drivers it would make the image huge to flash.What about creating a /media/hdd/additional-packages directory which is populated with all add ons before flashing, and after flashing (when the set-up script runs) all those packages are added to the image?
This would mean it doesn't have to download them after a flash - which fails if one of those packages is the network hardware driver.

DaMacFunkin
22-10-15, 09:33
Why doesn't the user not just source the driver file before a flash and store it on the hard drive or usb drive then install it manually after flash?

ccs
22-10-15, 10:01
Why doesn't the user not just source the driver file before a flash and store it on the hard drive or usb drive then install it manually after flash?If it's that easy then maybe you could explain exactly what to do.
It's not obvious to some poor souls like me where the driver is stored, and how to "install" it afterwards.

Sicilian
22-10-15, 11:11
Why doesn't the user not just source the driver file before a flash and store it on the hard drive or usb drive then install it manually after flash?

You can't, due to dependencies.

DaMacFunkin
22-10-15, 13:38
I don't need to do it because I wouldn't rely on wi-Fi for exactly this reason, but and it is the same with computers, everything has become so easy and immediate, the saying GIYF is so appropriate, I've learned most things I have learned in the last 20 or so years by searching the internet, the information is out there, have you actually tried searching for "E2 <your driver> ipk"?

DaMacFunkin
22-10-15, 13:40
You can't, due to dependencies.

But they could source the ipk and store it for future flashes.., for all my PCs I have a folder containing basic driver files and programs incase I need to do a clean install.

aido
14-12-15, 22:02
It looks like this went into build 029 - happy days and thank-you if so as that will save loads of time in future when reflashing boxes :)

Or did I misread and it's added an RTL8192EU driver?