PDA

View Full Version : vu+ duo2 goes to standby and EPG problem

sectoid1
08-10-15, 11:28
Hi,
I've been having 2 problems with my vu+ duo2 for some time now and I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm running the newest Hades (I think it's 0.18).

1. My vu+ duo2 goes to standby randomly for no reason from time to time. Sometimes few seconds just after I turn it on, sometimes few minutes after.

I turn it on, it goes to standby, I turn it on again and it goes back to standby. This may happen a few times within a minute but sometimes I turn it on and nothing happens for and hour or two and the story begins. Basically it's completely random and very annoying. Any idea why this may happen?

2. I set my box to update EPG every morning. It does that and then sometimes during the day I turn the box on and notice that all EPG data are gone. So I have to update it manually or wait until next morning for automatic updates. This is very annoying as it also happens randomly. Sometimes EPG stays on for couple of days, sometimes it's gone the same day it updated. Any idea of what may be the cause of it? The information is stored on USB.

Also when I unplug my pendrive and plug it back on, the box doesn't read the EPG data stored on the USB, even when I manually go to options and tell it to load them from there.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2stein
08-10-15, 11:40
have you turned hdmi-cec on?
had the same phenomenon until i turned off hdmi-cec.

sectoid1
08-10-15, 12:04
It's on. But if I turn it off, won't I have control via HDMI anymore?

Willmoore
08-10-15, 12:36
I would start by doing a FRESH FLASH to latest image 3.2.010

2stein
08-10-15, 13:03
It's on. But if I turn it off, won't I have control via HDMI anymore?
yes, that's the downside.

2stein
08-10-15, 13:08
I would start by doing a FRESH FLASH to latest image 3.2.010
it's still in the latest builds... recreated it last with 3.2.003

sectoid1
08-10-15, 14:32
Thanks, I'll turn HDMI-cec off and see what happens.

What about EPG? Anyone has encountered similar problem?

sewalsh
08-10-15, 15:01
Adding my 2 cents:
- I had this EPG problem. My vuduo2 would randomly fail to load the EPG after a restart. I moved the EPG cache from USB to the Internal Flash. I haven't had the problem since.
- Random shutdown of the box shortly after startup (from a Powered-off state or Standby). I've had this issue since build 7 of 3.2. I only recently started using PowerTimers to manage the on/off state of my box to save on electricity consumption so my suspicion is with that HOWEVER, I have to delve into the log files to confirm.

abu baniaz
08-10-15, 15:20
quite possible that USB disk is failing. can you try with another one?

sectoid1
08-10-15, 15:31
sewalsh, my PowerTimers are off, so unlikely it's got something to do with it. Maybe it's got something to do with my TV, but I'm sure HDMI control from TV is off. I'll check that.

Abu, I had this problem previously with my other USB stick so I changed it to a new one, but that didn't seem to resolve the problem.... unless both of them are faulty? I don't want to load EPG to internal flash as it's quite big.

sectoid1
09-10-15, 09:31
OK, I turned off HDMI-cec and so far so good. The box was on for about 2h yesterday and didn't go to standby. Hopefully it'll solve the problem.

Will this be fixed in the new release of Hades?

Still don't know how to solve the EPG problem. A this is the second USB I've tested, I don't want to get another USB just to learn that this is not the memory stick fault.

Thanks

2stein
09-10-15, 09:59
OK, I turned off HDMI-cec and so far so good. The box was on for about 2h yesterday and didn't go to standby. Hopefully it'll solve the problem.

Will this be fixed in the new release of Hades?
Thanks
i have been waiting for a fix for a year now... the vix guys claim it's a vu driver problem. so, don't expect a fix soon, if at all.

2stein
09-10-15, 10:01
by the way: another symptom of that problem is that the box randomly switches to other channels. nice as well. :-)

2stein
09-10-15, 10:02
re epg: i have the file on my harddisk... no problems at all.

Andy_Hazza
09-10-15, 10:15
Hades is an obsolete image now. To benefit from new enhancements and drivers you are best fresh flashing ViX 3.2-010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sectoid1
09-10-15, 11:30
First I was on Apollo and moved to Hades as you guys said Apollo wouldn't be supported anymore and Hades would be the only supported version. Now there is something new again :p How many more new images will be released this year? :) :D

Ok, I'll get the new flash. Are those problems solved there?

2stein
09-10-15, 11:32
the standby problem will still be there.

twol
09-10-15, 12:19
K
First I was on Apollo and moved to Hades as you guys said Apollo wouldn't be supported anymore and Hades would be the only supported version. Now there is something new again :p How many more new images will be released this year? :) :D

Ok, I'll get the new flash. Are those problems solved there?
You don,t have to update ... It,s upto you:)
However, plugin updates and features are likely to be only on the "current image" only.
If it annoys you that much you could try another image such as Openpli ..... If its a VU issue, you will not see any change ... But if you do then may be there is a resolution. Not worth trying another open alliance image as I would expect the CEC code to be similar across images.

sectoid1
09-10-15, 13:38
I quite like Vix image. I tried blackhole long time ago and had exactly the same issues, so I moved to Vix, as I thought the issues were related to the image. Apparently are not :)
Thanks

sectoid1
13-10-15, 12:54
So after a few days of testing I'm convinced this problem lies in HDMI-CEC. It's off at the moment and the box hasn't gone to standby not even once.

As for EPG - so far so good :)

Thanks everyone!

2stein
13-10-15, 12:57
So after a few days of testing I'm convinced this problem lies in HDMI-CEC. It's off at the moment and the box hasn't gone to standby not even once.
Thanks everyone!
i reported that problem to vu+ as well... maybe you should do so, too.

sectoid1
11-10-16, 12:50
Hi Guys :)

I want to refresh this thread as I'm still having problems.

1. EPG - the same problem as in the 1st post. EPG data dissapears randomly. When I turn my vu duo2 on, sometimes the EPG is there sometimes it's completely gone. The box is set to update every morning. However sometimes during the day the EPG is gone completely. I noticed it usually happens when I put my box to deep standby. Sometimes there's no problem for couple of days but sometimes it's gone the same day. Couple of months ago I moved from a pendrive to HDD to store EPG data but this didn't change anything. Any ideas how to solve this, but please don’t tell me NOT to put my box in deep standby :p :)

2. Updates – the green update dot flashes ALL the time. I update, restart and few seconds later it flashes again. Then I check if there are any updates and the screen doesn’t show any updates, yet the green dot is still there. How to solve this? I think I'm on the newest soft - 4.2.

Thanks a lot :)

jasper1974
11-10-16, 12:57
Try backing up settings and then doing a complete install of image from the vix menu or a USB

sectoid1
11-10-16, 13:00
I'd have to check exactly but it's one of those Openvix 4.2 and I believe it's up to date. But to be honest I've always had these problems (for at least a year) even on previous releases.

I tried backing up and reinstalling again - didn't change anything :(

Andy_Hazza
11-10-16, 14:27
Could you try in normal Standby mode for a day or two, then at least you can rule out if its Deep Standby that has the issue or not?

sectoid1
12-10-16, 11:07
Yes, I've tried that before and left it on normal standby yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's related to Deep standby, but I don't understand why would this happen. Shouldn't EPG be loaded regardless?
Loading the EPG date from the hdd (in options) doesn't bring it back. Only downloading again helps but it's pretty annoying as it takes about 30 min and channel cannot be changed during this process. Is there any soluton to that instead of using 'normal standby' only? Or maybe another update should fix this? :)

Talking about updates - any idea about my update problem with permanantly flashing green light? Is it just me or does anyone else have it?

Thanks

Andy_Hazza
12-10-16, 20:19
Yes, I've tried that before and left it on normal standby yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's related to Deep standby, but I don't understand why would this happen. Shouldn't EPG be loaded regardless?
Loading the EPG date from the hdd (in options) doesn't bring it back. Only downloading again helps but it's pretty annoying as it takes about 30 min and channel cannot be changed during this process. Is there any soluton to that instead of using 'normal standby' only? Or maybe another update should fix this? :)

Talking about updates - any idea about my update problem with permanantly flashing green light? Is it just me or does anyone else have it?

Thanks

30 mins? The Vu+ Duo2 if setup correctly only takes 1 to 2 mins to parse n gather n generate CrossEPG data, so something definitely wrong in your setup. As for the permanent flashing green light, you must have done a software update when it was noted to do a usb or couch flash and restore settings and plugins.

abu baniaz
12-10-16, 20:44
He is probably using crossepg downloader for several online providers

Andy_Hazza
12-10-16, 23:32
Even so shouldn't take 30 mins surely?

sectoid1
13-10-16, 06:49
Hi Andy,
As Abu said, I'm updating EPG from 3 different providers - from astra 19.2, astra 28.2 and hb 13. I'll post later what they are exactly.

Is there any faster way to update EPG without using crossepg?

I don't understand what you mean here: 'you must have done a software update when it was noted to do a usb or couch flash and restore settings and plugins.' Could you please explain?
Thank you!

Andy_Hazza
13-10-16, 07:22
Hi Andy,
As Abu said, I'm updating EPG from 3 different providers - from astra 19.2, astra 28.2 and hb 13. I'll post later what they are exactly.

I don't understand what you mean here: 'you must have done a software update when it was noted to do a usb or couch flash and restore settings and plugins.' Could you please explain?
Thank you!

Hi, A good example would be for instance lets say you were on 4.1.005 and you did an online update to 4.1.010, but in between 005 & 010 there would have been a sticky post regarding not doing an online update, but using either usb or a couch flash and restoring your settings. It happened as my family n friends had the same. Easy fix. What build are you on now?

abu baniaz
13-10-16, 07:35

I would use:
CrossEPG (OpenTV EPG/signal wire) for 28.2 only

EPG/XMLTV importer (internet download) for non 28.2 services

Please take time to read the following:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!

No harm has been done, no need to apologise. Please bear in mind for future support questions.

sectoid1
16-10-16, 17:18
Sorry, been away

I would use:
CrossEPG (OpenTV EPG/signal wire) for 28.2 only

EPG/XMLTV importer (internet download) for non 28.2 services

That's what I have set a the moment. Sky 28.2 using OpenTV and 2 other providers using XMLTV importer. Still takes about 30 min. Maybe my internet is slow? I get max 600 kb/sec

Hi, A good example would be for instance lets say you were on 4.1.005 and you did an online update to 4.1.010, but in between 005 & 010 there would have been a sticky post regarding not doing an online update, but using either usb or a couch flash and restoring your settings. It happened as my family n friends had the same. Easy fix. What build are you on now?

Sorry, I thought I was on 4.2 but I'm on 4.1.

I always update using USB. Never used internet to update. Do you think that updating to 4.2 would fix the problem? I remember having the same flashing green problem on previous updates. Nothing really changed.

Thanks a lot.

Andy_Hazza
16-10-16, 17:35
If you chose to go to 4.2.009, you wouldn't be able to use a backup to restore your settings/plugins, so basically setting up as new.

sectoid1
17-10-16, 10:29
But will updating to 4.2 solve my missing EPG data and green flashing update thing? If is, I'm willing to do that.
Thanks