PDA

View Full Version : Failed recording - file listed as 0.00

m-vs1
01-10-15, 18:03
Hi

3 recordings in a row failed over the last couple of days. All files are listed in the archive, but as as 0.00 length. All recordings were at different times and did not overlap. All recordings were on different channels. Two of the 3 recordings were autotimers, the third was not. Is there anyway I can find out what happened?

thanks

Barry

judge
01-10-15, 18:28
What channels?
Are you using a cam? if so, which one?

Rob van der Does
01-10-15, 18:51
Was it on encrypted channels? And if so: which card were you using?

m-vs1
01-10-15, 19:01
I only use freeview so no cam

Channels were, Channel 5, Film4+1, BBC1HD

ccs
01-10-15, 19:06
The timers could still be in Menu/Timers and may show what happened.

m-vs1
01-10-15, 22:02
Yes, it states that the recordings were "done" when they clearly weren't. Hmm...my brother is about to buy one of these, best advise him

judge
01-10-15, 23:19
How much space is available on the HDD?

m-vs1
01-10-15, 23:57
Hi

just checked, 62% left.

Appreciate the suggestion

abu baniaz
02-10-15, 00:01
When were the last successful recordings for those exact chanenls, When did they first fail?

judge
02-10-15, 00:18
Hi

just checked, 62% left.

Appreciate the suggestion
40GB is the default reserved space, try reducing that or removing some files.

Rob van der Does
02-10-15, 04:36
40GB is the default reserved space, try reducing that or removing some files.
For what reason? There's 62% free space already. And 40GB is IMHO the bare minimum, as multiple recordings may be simultaneous.

birdman
02-10-15, 13:03
And 40GB is IMHO the bare minimum, as multiple recordings may be simultaneous.<off topic>
I'm intrigued as to how large your recordings are. Even at Blu-Ray "quality" that would represent quite a few hours of recording.
There is also the fact that to not start the recording guarantees that it will fail, whereas to start it in hope at least gives you a chance.

judge
03-10-15, 00:58
For what reason? There's 62% free space already. And 40GB is IMHO the bare minimum, as multiple recordings may be simultaneous.
62% doesn't always = 40GB.

birdman
03-10-15, 01:50
62% doesn't always = 40GB.Agreed (but it's along time since I've used an HDD that small - even if it were referring to the other 38%).
I was referring to the 40GB as a "bare minumum".

judge
03-10-15, 02:02
Agreed (but it's along time since I've used an HDD that small - even if it were referring to the other 38%).
I was referring to the 40GB as a "bare minumum".
You don't have to use a small HDD. Hit 10GB spare on a 40GB setting & some recordings fail.

birdman
03-10-15, 05:08
You don't have to use a small HDD. Hit 10GB spare on a 40GB setting & some recordings fail.But that would have nothing to do with the 40GB setting.
To only have 10GB free on a 40GB setting (on a disk >40GB) there would need to be no deleted recordings in .Trash that could be freed up (as, if there were any, they would be deleted until there were 40GB free).
So you would be in the same state even of you set the minimum to be 200GB rather than 40GB.

But I still reckon that 40Gb represents several hours of recording. Freeview HD uses ~2GB/hr - I suspect that some satellite broadcasts may take more, but I'd be surprised if they were >8GB/hr, so 40GB should handle at least 5 hours - not the sort of thing to stop you starting a few simultaneous recordings.

Rob van der Does
03-10-15, 15:48
<off topic>
I'm intrigued as to how large your recordings are. Even at Blu-Ray "quality" that would represent quite a few hours of recording.
There is also the fact that to not start the recording guarantees that it will fail, whereas to start it in hope at least gives you a chance.
40GB more or less guarantees enough space even if simultaneous HD-recordings start and overlap. Remember the 40GB-check is only mad when a recording starts.

m-vs1
04-10-15, 21:26
Hi

Device reports that Trashcan = 25GB and 571 Gb(61%) disk space. Just deleted contents of deleted items but trashcan reports 21GB with 574Gb (61%) disk space, compared to the figures previously.

Had the device since Christmas last year. No problems with timed recordings until this week. The pattern since Tuesday is:
Tue, 21:55, Rush, Film4+1 success -
Tue, 21:55, New:CSI - Last ever episode C5 - Fail - first time (that I can recall) that a recording had failed.
Wed, 0:20, Serenity Film4+1, - Fail
Wed, 19:55, Great British Bakeoff BBC1 - Fail - This was an autotimer that had worked for the previous episodes. After this failure I deleted the autotimer and created a new timer for the repeat on Sunday
Wed, 20:55, Grand Designs C4 - success
Thu, 22:35, 24Hrs in A&E More4, - recorded from buffer - I watched most then recorded it. Success
Fri, 1:05 Horizon: Which Universe are we in? BBC2HD, Fail
Fri, 20:55, Have I got news for you BBC1 W Mid, Fail
Fri, 22:55, New: BBC Music John Peel Lecture, BBC4HD, Fail
Fri, 23:45, Young Detectives Film4+1, Success
Sat, 19:55, Paul Gambacini, BBC R2, success
Sat, 20:20, Doctor Who, BBC1HD, fail
Sat, 22:25, In case you missed it, BBC2HD, Success
Sun, 10:55, Athletics, BBC2HD, Success
Sun, Great British Bakeoff, BBC1 W mid, 13:55 fail

Just noticed that EPG data is very patchy, ie, epg ok up until 1am on Tuesday - no data for any channels until 19:00 Tuesday. OK after that until 1630 on Wed when it's a bit patchy, some gaps until 0700 on Thursday, no data again until 0630 on Friday.

If anyone has an explanation, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

ccs
04-10-15, 21:47
Freeview reception for me on Friday night (21:45 ish)/Saturday morning using Belmont was so bad that I switched everything off to avoid any failed recording issues.
Pick tv seemed ok, but the bbc mux's were pretty much dead.

I don't know whether the high pressure weather we're getting at the moment could cause the problems you're experiencing.

abu baniaz
04-10-15, 21:49
Freeview had a reshuffle on the 1st.

m-vs1
04-10-15, 22:18
OK, feel like a bit of an idiot. Last Tuesday we had an electrian doing some work. He had to move the unit in which the Duo2 is placed. I've just checked and one of the cables had popped out of the tuner socket. I'm assuming this will be the cause. I'll set some recordings to see what happens.

Thanks for all the help

cactikid
04-10-15, 22:51
yes i was going to post if you used a twin feed and viewed other stuff at same time,common problem second feed issue glad your sorted:thumbsup:

abu baniaz
05-10-15, 00:07
OK, feel like a bit of an idiot. Last Tuesday we had an electrian doing some work. He had to move the unit in which the Duo2 is placed. I've just checked and one of the cables had popped out of the tuner socket. I'm assuming this will be the cause. I'll set some recordings to see what happens.
Thanks for all the help

We should have asked you to check that all tuners can receive the affected channels. That would have revealed the issue straight away. Glad you are sorted and thank you for posting back.

The reason why some succeeded and others failed, is a different tuner being used instead of the one with the dislodged connector.

birdman
05-10-15, 04:48
Freeview had a reshuffle on the 1st.I don't think that the BBC muxes did, and the only things which shuffled (AFAIR) were the logical channel ids of YourTV (and Enigma2 doesn't use the LCNs), and Community Channel moving to COM7.
But I do recall COM7 (BBC 4 HD, BBC News HD, etc) actually disappearing for a while. Threw me a bit as I did a rescan at the time to find "Talking Pictures" - they were back on the next pass though. (And it was the Sandy Heath transmitter, as there was no signal for them on the TV either).