PDA

View Full Version : Recycling old sky hdd

Ford1
29-09-15, 19:16
As the title suggests, I am trying to use a freshly formatted hdd from a old sky box. The drive was formatted on Windows pc and was accessible. However the mount manager in vix shows size:unavailable mount:none device: /dev/sda1 type:unavailable

Any help?

abu baniaz
29-09-15, 19:21
Have you tried to mount it?

Ford1
29-09-15, 19:38
Yeah, then I re read and had forgot to initialize! Slow learner trying to hard, just formatting a 4gb usb pen to use with epg. Then got to change skin to blue-hd so it's more like sky for the kids to use. I'm getting there, just need to slow down and a brew first.:thumbsup:

Andy_Hazza
29-09-15, 19:38
As the title suggests, I am trying to use a freshly formatted hdd from a old sky box. The drive was formatted on Windows pc and was accessible. However the mount manager in vix shows size:unavailable mount:none device: /dev/sda1 type:unavailable

Any help?

You need to initialise first, which is linux formatting and will format to ext4 which is what you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
29-09-15, 19:59
My apologies, I was unaware we can nl longer mount fat32 devices.

twol
29-09-15, 21:13
Yeah, then I re read and had forgot to initialize! Slow learner trying to hard, just formatting a 4gb usb pen to use with epg. Then got to change skin to blue-hd so it's more like sky for the kids to use. I'm getting there, just need to slow down and a brew first.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you are getting there. With my memory I always find it useful ( especially for linux systems) to either print out and file any online advice or write down what I have done ... Probably because this will not be the last time you do this type of setup.:)