PDA

View Full Version : First descision, help needed.

Ford1
27-09-15, 16:32
Good afternoon,

I'm about to re fit my home av equipment, having used a free, OPENBOX V8S, (supplied by my father who didn't like it) along side my sly uk equipment, sky+ hd 2tb, sky+ hd 1tb and sky+ 80gb white, I have made the decision that for the use I give sky, mainly freesat use, I can do without paying massive subs, for content I frankly can live without.

This has led me to the ENIGMA 2 satellite systems, BUT I only have a limited budget to get started with, (once I've stopped sky subs ill have some more).

I was ideally looking for a enigma 2 box, with twin tuners, allowing to record and view separate feeds, I was also hoping for a box with at least rf modulation, to enable use of existing cabling to another room, (I understand some people's view of tv over rf, but it saves having to run new cables).

initially only one box will be needed, however this could rise to three. two children's rooms, then the parents room. for now it will just be for myself and wife, and family room.

After having a quick look, I've found some options, and would like some advice.

I have seen and heard good reviews of the VU+ DUO set box's, I initially was ready to purchase a TECHNOMATE TM TWIN OE, but have seen the XTREND ET9500 for a very good price off WOS.

so please, could someone advise, of the last two options, what would be the better box to use as a main every day box, I have noticed that the TECHNOMATE TM TWIN OE, seems to be a little dated, but is it better than the newer EXTREND 9500?

Excuse the rant like post, I hope you can understand what I'm after. :confused:

Sicilian
27-09-15, 17:58
Xtrend ET9500 has better spec CPU, more RAM and flash memory, good price at the moment. That would be my choice.

dwarf
27-09-15, 18:34
If you can afford the extra £30 go for the et8000 it's an excellent box

Ford1
27-09-15, 18:55
Thanks for the reply's Im thinking of taking the ET9500 with a 1tb hard drive. What's the difference in the ET9500 and ET8000 ??

dwarf
27-09-15, 20:30
Faster processor, Double the ram, ability to take a third tuner and can support cable/terrestrial and satellite

abu baniaz
27-09-15, 20:58
The Twin is very dated, I'd buy a newer gen receiver. The RF modulator is good tohave, but you can achieve the same with a standalone unit.

As you have a 2TB HDD in one of the Sky receivers, I'd get a receiver which takes a 3.5" HDD and use the one from the Sky receiver. Some only take 2.5".

twol
27-09-15, 22:16
Out of interest how many feeds are coming into the house? Do you have more than 1 dish and what is the lnb(s) setup (twin, quad,?)
Do you plan to run the E2 receiver initially alongside or replace one of the Sky boxes?
Just thinking of your growth plans .. Its better to think ahead!
Also what WiFi coverage is available across the house?

... And Yes the ET8000 would be my choice:)

Ford1
27-09-15, 22:50
I have 6 feeds, 3x2 in 3 rooms, these are each then split via rf cable to 1 extra room each, and all magic eye operated.

The first purchase will initially run along side the sky box in the family room until everyone has got to grips with it, then the sky boxs will be removed one at a time and replaced with new Linux box's.

Cost is a huge factor at the moment.
Looking at "the numbers" I would of thought the 9500 to be newer/better than the 8000 ??

All the input is great. I'm literally swapping money between accounts to purchase a box by the end of Monday.

The rf out can be overcome by the use of external rf modulator so that overcomes that problem.

If I add a dvb t2 tuner will that output via rf?

Cheers so one last push for recommendations before I hit buy on this box?

Forgot to mention, all tv points have hardwired lan access points, no need for WiFi on the boxes.

And forgot again, 2 extra feeds will be initially installed from the spare outputs on my octo lnb to feed the new Linux box initially, before being removed along with the sky box.

Hope that cleared everything up?

judge
27-09-15, 23:11
As you have LAN access in the rooms without feeds, you'd be better off using than that rather than rf cables.
Are you planning on adding terrestrial or cable at any stage in the future?
I wouldn't be removing the 2 new feeds, the more feeds the main box has, the better.

Ford1
27-09-15, 23:59
No sorry, only the rooms with sky box's currently have lan access. I had looked at tv over cat 5e to send signal to other rooms but will be relying on standard rf for now. They are only bedrooms so only have relatively small (32") tv's and they are smart wireless. So most content is either streamed from main server pc, or through iPlayer etc. It is the other 3 rooms that all have, twin sat feeds, terrestrial aerial over coax cable, and dedicated lan ports.

judge
28-09-15, 00:04
So, 3 rooms have 2 sat & 1 terrestrial feeds?
1 of those rooms will have 4 sat & 1 terrestrial feeds soon?

Ford1
28-09-15, 00:16
Yep, that's about it.

judge
28-09-15, 00:40
Just my opinion so.
2 x Xtrend ET8000 for the rooms that have 2 sat & 1 terrestrial feeds.
1 x Most current gen E2 boxes that you can use at least 4 Sat & 1 terrestrial feeds on (don't remove those 2 feeds when done testing), Sponsor won't put you wrong on a recommendation.
Power-plugs for the rooms that don't have feeds & use current gen boxes with no or single tuners.

Ford1
28-09-15, 00:46
Can I transmit tv signal over cat 5 through power plugs and the use of hdmi extenders? I've seen them on eBay, but do they only work using direct cable?

Going for a et8000 tomorrow, first box to try, hope it works as well as expected. If so then another 2 will be ordered.

twol
28-09-15, 08:07
Can I transmit tv signal over cat 5 through power plugs and the use of hdmi extenders? I've seen them on eBay, but do they only work using direct cable?

Going for a et8000 tomorrow, first box to try, hope it works as well as expected. If so then another 2 will be ordered.

ET8000 is a good solid box, does what it says on the tin.
As much as I dislike power plugs, they will work in your environment for providing LAN access (not TV signal direct).
So as Judge suggested, power plugs in the non-Lan bedrooms, connecting ethernet cable to sat receivers probably with no tuners. They will use an E2 plugin (Remote channel server) to connect to one of the E2 receivers with Sat cable connections. So they run in a client/server relationship (so no need for a tuner on the client box) ..... but WILL use one tuner on the server receiver when connected by the plugin.
Set your sat cable receivers up with static IP's so the client receivers know which Sat cabled receiver they are talking to!

So for example if your main ET8000 has 3 tuners (max on ET8000) then you can watch/record and serv(er)ice one of the other bedroom (non Sat cable) receivers.

As you replace the Sky boxes you need to remember when deciding on the number of tuners that you will tie up a tuner if accessed by one of the non sat cable receivers!

So if you replace the sat boxes with 3 ET8000's (each with 3 tuners), you could watch and record on each ET8000 while the powerplug receivers would each access one of the the ET8000 receivers for their TV access.

Hope I haven't confused you or me :)

Andy_Hazza
28-09-15, 08:11

Hardwired only. Won't work with power plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judge
28-09-15, 08:48
Hardwired only. Won't work with power plugs.

Using power plugs without issue for 3yrs now... All streaming & recordings working fine.

twol
28-09-15, 09:03
and obviously (?) you don't need a magic eye, each box controls its own channels via its own remote. The ethernet receivers see a copy of the channel list(called a Bouquet(s)) on the server box (or a subset - you can decide)

You can also set up recordings on the main box and access those via the lan on another receiver/PC

twol
28-09-15, 10:02
No sorry, only the rooms with sky box's currently have lan access. I had looked at tv over cat 5e to send signal to other rooms but will be relying on standard rf for now. They are only bedrooms so only have relatively small (32") tv's and they are smart wireless. So most content is either streamed from main server pc, or through iPlayer etc. It is the other 3 rooms that all have, twin sat feeds, terrestrial aerial over coax cable, and dedicated lan ports.
Thats what the powerplugs are for.... Give you lan access in the 3 rooms without... Then you can forget about rf and putting cat5e into these rooms... Its really dead simple.!
I have a 3 level house (cellar, ground and upstairs) and can put lan into everyroom with powerplugs .... Providing there is an electric powerpoint!
In my cellar, I have a bedroom with mediaplayer, sat receiver and TV all connected to the network via a powerplug.... No need for rf or cat5e (and in my case a powerdrill to get through the concrete floors and walls)

Ford1
28-09-15, 11:54
Cheers for all the input, I ordered a 8000 at 1am (was worried I'd talk myself out of it!) How long does initial setup take, I've read a few guides to using enigma, and ftp server from pc so I'm fairly confident.

And on the powerplug side, would a cheep zgemma box work as a receiver only box fed through the xtrend box. (only need a cheep box?)

judge
28-09-15, 12:06
Cheers for all the input, I ordered a 8000 at 1am (was worried I'd talk myself out of it!) How long does initial setup take, I've read a few guides to using enigma, and ftp server from pc so I'm fairly confident.

And on the powerplug side, would a cheep zgemma box work as a receiver only box fed through the xtrend box. (only need a cheep box?)
Set-up should only really take a few minutes, esp if only using one sat position.
As for zgemma box, avoid at all costs.

Sicilian
28-09-15, 12:16
If you want a cheap budget receiver look at these:

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Mutant-Linux-HD-Receivers/Mut@nt-Mutant-HD1200

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-X1

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/golden-interstar-receivers/Golden-Interstar-Xpeed-LX1

The 1st too are higher powered than the bottom two, both have dual threading 750mhz cpu's.

twol
28-09-15, 12:25
Cheers for all the input, I ordered a 8000 at 1am (was worried I'd talk myself out of it!) How long does initial setup take)
Just take it slowly!
Its important to play with the box and learn .... it is in no way like a Sky box.
Using ABM can take a few attempts to get the right channel lists (Bouquets)
Also getting the Epg sorted, depending on how you do it can take some time.
Choosing the best skin is also critical so it look's nice ... suggest perhap's one of the VIXBMC 1080 skins e.g. bello or confluence

So take your time:)

Important you are comfortable with both and the results before showing the family.

Ford1
28-09-15, 12:35
I believe the zgemma s2 are "clones" I have a friend who sells them and says nothing but good? But it's likely I'll go the legit route and make world of satellite my go to store from now. Like I mentioned, I've come from a v8s receiver and sky, so anything's got to be a step up.

Are the hdd's easy to fit to the xtrend box, I salvaged one from my sky box but it's only 500gb, and its 3.5" rather than 2.5". I do also have a spare 320gb 2.5" laptop drive so hopefully one will fit?

Sicilian
28-09-15, 12:48
Are the hdd's easy to fit to the xtrend box, I salvaged one from my sky box but it's only 500gb, and its 3.5" rather than 2.5". I do also have a spare 320gb 2.5" laptop drive so hopefully one will fit?

Easy self explanatory cradle inside :)

Once installed, boot receiver and initialise, menu > setup > system > storage devices.

judge
28-09-15, 12:48
Anybody that sells zgemma boxes will say nothing but good. They're full of shit & selling cheap dodgy clone boxes with no safety checks done. Sorry.

Andy_Hazza
28-09-15, 13:03
Using power plugs without issue for 3yrs now... All streaming & recordings working fine.

No Judge, he asked question about hdmi extender over cat5/6, that is what I was referring to.

twol
28-09-15, 14:55
I believe the zgemma s2 are "clones" I have a friend who sells them and says nothing but good? But it's likely I'll go the legit route and make world of satellite my go to store from now. Like I mentioned, I've come from a v8s receiver and sky, so anything's got to be a step up.

The disk's I removed from Sky boxes were both Seagate "slim" disk's so being thinner than the "normal" 3.5 very easy to fit.

Ford1
28-09-15, 18:18
hi again, back from work, just want to say the interaction on here is top notch! thanks again for your advice, cant wait for tomorrow now getting slightly excited. :cool:

Im sure ill be more on the xtrend forum as of tomorrow, I hope they are as helpful as you guys have been!

As the guys at World Of Satallite are flashing a copy of open vix for me, what files, if any should I have downloaded ready for the install process, as in, best ftp to use, and any ABM / CROSSEPG. I understand that the BLUEHD skin is installed via the box itself?

twol
28-09-15, 19:11
Im sure ill be more on the xtrend forum as of tomorrow, I hope they are as helpful as you guys have been!

what files, if any should I have downloaded ready for the install process, as in, best ftp to use, and any ABM / CROSSEPG. I understand that the BLUEHD skin is installed via the box itself?
1. xtrend forum, good site but its not vix, their image is different and it helps to understand German
2 ABM is installed and you can download the required plugins directly from the OpenVix image.
Worth installing filezilla for ftp and putty for telnet client onto windows/unix on PC.

Ford1
28-09-15, 19:56
Sorry, I ment the xtrend sub forum on here. I'll get hold of filezilla, and I already have putty on desktop machine I think.

Thanks again helpers!!

abu baniaz
28-09-15, 20:22
Majority of functions in the the image are the same. Best to ask questions in the image support section.

Please read the thread in link below which explains things better.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!