PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Flash new image via ftp only is it possible ?

degoosefish
25-09-15, 13:21
Is it possible to flash a set top box without using USB? I want to add the latest image to a VU zero or VU duo via remote install via teamviewer and install new image from scratch. I would imagine this is risky but can it be done has anyone done it/tried it. If anyone has done it can they please advise thanks.

twol
25-09-15, 14:09
I am sure you can acees the running image and then copy the new image to the imagebackup folder and then get it to reflash..... But after that don,t see how you would access the image once it reboots as nothing is setup including the images network ip address

degoosefish
25-09-15, 14:18
Thanks just the box is stuck with spinning vix and won't boot any further can't access image manager so I need to flash from turning on and off box and hoping that it boots correctly but I aint sure where I would dump the new image file within the receiver, tmp folder , boot , to actually trigger the new flashing

Huevos
25-09-15, 14:22
If your current install is knackered you will need to install from USB.

c9550927
01-10-15, 13:52
That's not strictly true. he can use the serial port, or use JTAG and I2C to flash the nand directly, he can also use the CFE to do a network flash too IIRC.

Peterj
01-10-15, 14:12
I am sure you can acees the running image and then copy the new image to the imagebackup folder and then get it to reflash..... But after that don,t see how you would access the image once it reboots as nothing is setup including the images network ip address

I do this all the time.
After the flash it will get ip address from dhcp server. You can have a look into your router (DHCP server) which address is given.
Your tv-set will give the normal first setup pages.

Rob van der Does
01-10-15, 15:38
That's not strictly true. he can use the serial port, or use JTAG and I2C to flash the nand directly, he can also use the CFE to do a network flash too IIRC.
Well, surprise me and tell me how-to exactly.

c9550927
02-10-15, 09:18
No problem, all here to share info. What do you want me to explain?.

Serial only flash are are done with NFI images and VTI Util. I've done this in the past and it does work. The downside of this is that not many teams produce images in NFI format anymore, 99% of them do usb only. However, during my recent mission to restore a box I discovered that when you build an openpli image, the built process also produces an update to date .NFI image too.

Serial Guide
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18-VU-Utility-and-guide-for-usage-of-the-VuUtility

As for the I2C/JTAG method thats also documented many many times on many sites. I'm more than happy to talk you through too if you want. It involves buying a USB programmer that will interface with the Broadcom SoC in the STB. That SoC connects with 4 jumper wires via a pin header on the PCB (GND/3.3V/SDA/SDL) to the usb programmer and you need to use BBS3 (Broadcom studio) to program the (possibly blank) Nand with at the very least the CFE if you can use the USB interface to finish the job (which is quicker), or you can just program the whole nand this way.

I've done a VU UNO this way but its pretty similar for a DUO/UNO and probably other machines in the range, the only thing that differs is the pin header layout.

Please LMK if you need to me explain any part of this in detail. I'm more than happy to impart what I know.

I documented my travel replacing my nand in my UNO on another site and did point to that in one of my posts on here, but I'm open to helping anyone I can with any questions.

BBS3 + PDF on how to wire things up.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nk7u7dcx62lsetz/nBKi6byn3P/VU%20Tools%20zum%20Wiederbeleben%20JTAG.rar

You know what If i get time, this weekend I'll do a write up of the process. There are COUNTLESS tutorials on the interwebs on how to do this though, thats how I learnt :)

Unless you are talking about the network based flash?. I've never done that but interrupting the boot I saw that the CFE did support flashing and it appeared to support tftp baed flashing. I've only JUST recovered the box and am not in the mood to play with it, just stating that it appeared to support it. I have done the other two methods (serial/i2c) personally, so if his USB port is dead, there are options.

c9550927
02-10-15, 09:50
actually that link I posted "BBS3 + PDF on how to wire things up" has all the info you need on the I2C way. if you have further questions, LMK and I'll try and help.

Rob van der Does
03-10-15, 16:00
The VU-Utility and NFI-images are ancient history. Even the VU-site don't hold them any more.

twol
03-10-15, 16:47
The VU-Utility and NFI-images are ancient history. Even the VU-site don't hold them any more.
True apart from the original VU+ models but apparently there is a usb image to nfi converter ... not that I would capable of doing all this trickery! :)

c9550927
04-10-15, 17:19
True apart from the original VU+ models but apparently there is a usb image to nfi converter ... not that I would capable of doing all this trickery! :)

Like many things its easier once you give it a go :)

Truth be told, once you can build your own images, you dont need such tools. :thumbsup: