PDA

View Full Version : newbie who has just started

tin.top
20-12-10, 23:07
Hi Let me introduce myself.
I am a tecchie who used to dabble in cable.
I have decided to go to the satellite side due to more HD channels.
I can't find the answer to these questions, ,but if I have missed it I apologise in advance.

I have spoken with the sponsor (world of satellite) and decided to buy :
80cm Orbital Solid Dish Orbital80cm
TM-2600 Super
Inverto Black Premium 0.2dB Twin £14.95
VU+ Duo Twin Tuner HD PVR DVB-S2 Enigma2 Satellite Receiver

now All i need to do is set it up.
so I need some assistance in:
how to link the motor to the lnb (i..e is it in series, and if so which is first)
I was not planning to get a satellite finder. I was planning to copy my neighbours dish and then see if I got a picture. WIll this work, or should I spend some more pennies?
How can I check I have thor?

Before I change image can I perform some basic checks?

Also I am originally a programmer (VB, C++, c#), and am interested in creating/modifying images. Can anyone point me towards some sites, that will help me understand how to progream in linux?
I am willing to help (time permitting!)
Regards
TT

silverfox0786
20-12-10, 23:27
firstly you forgot to get a wall or floor stand and twin coaxial cable

ok now set up your dish to 1w as your starting pont from true south

go to dishpointer for help on locations

once done you should be ok

with respect to setting up box once thats done come back and look at a few stickies on how to set it up

the lnb and motor is dieseq so it will be one coaxial cable to connect it all as you are using twin just use one coaxial to connect to port 1 of lnb then to motor then to tuner a the other can be left direct from lnb to tuner b

tin.top
21-12-10, 12:06
Sorry I should have said that I also order a J clamp.
I spoke to the guy from WOS, and he said that I coudl use some NTL cable I had. (I must say that I was surprised by this as I though tthat cable was a lower frequency)

At a risk of sounding stupid (again), what is 1W?

Chunkey
21-12-10, 12:20
1W is the location of the Thor satellite.

bobonthejob
21-12-10, 12:41
Hey mate...

Sounds like this is going to be a DIY jobey...

Well..let me just say.......................... Have fun :D

I dont it this way too... managed to put up the dish and everything myself...was quite chuffed to be honest.

Golden rule though..........Make sure that the pole is plum..and bang on straight...Otherwise you will miss the arc of satellites.

Make sure your motor is set to 0 and try and align up with 1W (thor). Once you flash the box with an image you could use Satellite Finder (not the best) but will let you know whether you have a lock on the selected satellite.

From the LNB... 1 wire to motor....1 wire to Tuner A or B of Box....Lastly wire from motor to the next tuner (depends on where you plugged the first cable).

Check out the below...they will help...and read the manual for the motor...it will give you all the angles that you need to set on the motor and the dish itself. (Not entirelyu accurate - but very good guidline)

www.dishpointer.com

Get your longitude and latitude from the above site. remember.... a minus number means west. e.g. -1.042 = 1.042 West

Hope the above helps.

Sicilian
21-12-10, 14:31
A good way to find guide on installing a motorised dish is to google how to install a motorised dish, you should even find some videos ;)

Personally I always use an installer.

tin.top
21-12-10, 15:39
Hi Bob,
Thank you for your input.
I will let you know how I get on.
There appears to be some conflicting information regarding the elevation between dishpointer and the documentation provided by the motor.
I think the best thing will be to put it up and then see what the receiver says.

The items arrived today, but I have no hard disc yet. Should I wait until I get the hard disc before I flash the unit?

bobonthejob
21-12-10, 16:02
You can flash with out a HD...so not to much of a worry that.

Go with what the manual says...I in the end was very minorly off.

tin.top
21-12-10, 16:11
hi Bob, I think I will have a go tonight.
(I will try the image 1.3)

Sicilian
21-12-10, 16:24
hi Bob, I think I will have a go tonight.
(I will try the image 1.3)

Once flashed to a software update. Blue button > Software management > Software update.

tin.top
21-12-10, 17:14
Sicilian,
What is the purpose of going to Software update?
Are you suggesting that I should perfrom a software update?
Regards

Sicilian
21-12-10, 19:44
Sicilian,
What is the purpose of going to Software update?
Are you suggesting that I should perfrom a software update?
Regards

Yes perform a software update. See this thread for online updates http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?4346-VIX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v1.3-Online-Software-Updates

tin.top
21-12-10, 23:15
Excellant, guys thank you for your help. After some failures with poor usb sticks, it worked and the unit updated it self.
Now lets see if I can the satellite up this weekend. I will let you know how I get on!

tin.top
22-12-10, 23:23
Hi All, Thank you for your advice. I got the hard drive today and put it into the box. Very easy to format, and I even managed to ftp some movies and pictures.
I am that little step closer!!
Thank you all for your help
I will update you when you when I have installed the satellite!

tin.top
25-12-10, 00:02
Hi Guys ,
Right I managed to install the dish and after some comedy moments (think about Mr Bean and the aerial scene and you will get the idea!) I managed to lock on to a satellite.
I tried to follow the instructions in a thread called http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?213-Basic-newbie-setup-procedure-for-VU-Duo-for-Dummies which I suspect is for a previous image.
Anyway I tried an automatic scan and got loads of services! Great I thought.
I tried to load a bouquet via DreamBox edit. I am not sure this really worked as I get errors saying :
Neither a "services" nor a "lamedb" file was found in directory "%" on the Dreambox. /var/tuxbox/config/enigma/

I am not sure what I was doing! I tried to upload a bouquet from Silverfox!
I cant get any channels, and I don't understand why!
Am I missing something obvious?
Apologies if these are 'obvious' questions.
Regards
TT

silverfox0786
25-12-10, 00:08
you need to do a full scan too

the other thing is you uploaded to enigma1 you need to set dbedit options to enigma2

if your using vix then just go to plugins and get my settings there they will go in correct place and will start automatically without needing a rescan

tin.top
25-12-10, 00:19
Hi Silverfox, you rock!!!
I am downloading your settings from the plugins. I did not realise how many plugins are available.ow
Its stuck on a console window stating restrating your satellutes configuration... Does this take some time?
(Once I get myself set up, can we discuss programming as I am en ex programmer (vb C++, c#)
Regards
TT

tin.top
25-12-10, 00:34
hi Silverfox, I had to manually reset the box, but it appears to have picked up the bouquet.
When i try and watch BBC1 (1000) it says Service not found SID not found in PAT.
(satfinder is picker up Astra 2A etc. I believe that this is correct. SNR ~ 60%)
Any thoughts?

silverfox0786
25-12-10, 01:22
hi mate sometimes the settings need a manual restart sometimes they are ok are restart by them selves

what i think with the bouquets is you have added too many bouquets and its confused the box as ch 1000 is not bb1

you may need to reflash the box and just get the bouquets from the plugin menu and it will work fine

tin.top
25-12-10, 14:13
Hi, Can anyone confirm which satellite I should be going for? I am in the UK, and thought that is shoudl be Astra. Is this correct or should I be going for THOR?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stanman
25-12-10, 14:16
Do you have a motorised dish or a fixed dish. If fixed than what is it pointed at? If its an old SKY dish than you need ASTRA on 28.2E and SIlverfox boquets from the downloads via blue button.

tin.top
25-12-10, 14:29
Hi STan Man,
I have purchased a .8 m dish and a motor from world of satellite.

Stanman
25-12-10, 15:18
The installer should have set it up for you?

Download the catseye or Mr Mr multi stat boquets and away you go.

tin.top
25-12-10, 16:52
Hi Stanman,
I am trying to do it all myself!!
I can't seem to lock onto Thor, and to be honest I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do.
Do you know what settings I should have in Satfinder to ensure the correct position?
Regards

silverfox0786
25-12-10, 18:40
when setting up go for 1 west thor

and my setting wont work for motor setup sorry

you need a bouquet that has motor or rotor included in it thats one more motor setups

basilyoung
25-12-10, 19:33
ok a breif method to follow

yes line up to thor, heres how
make sure the surport pole is true perpendicula
the motor should be set to zero ( the degrees are marked on the motor )
the dish needs to be inline ( look down the lnb arm of the dish ) with the motor, so it appears to be straight
move the whole assembly to piont true south
dependant on where you are the angle of the motor needs to be set to ( if liverpool ) Latitude 53
the dish setting would be almost vertical, or if down south, slightly pointing upwards
set the unit to BBC world 11325 H snr set to 24500 fec 5/6
gently mover the whole assembly slightly left right and the dish needs to be lifted or dropped slightly as well, until you hit a good signal/piccy
lock up the assembly evenly
then put your usal settings into your tuner config

use dish pointer http://www.dishpointer.com/

then try and get 28 east
baz

tin.top
26-12-10, 12:14
Hi Basil Young,
I have some further questions that I hope you will beable to help me with.
The motor appears to have a scale as does the dish.
Should the latitude (on the motor) be set to ( if liverpool ) Latitude 53? If so what the angle on the dish be 30?
Secondly how can I set a channel?

Regards

tin.top
03-01-11, 23:12
Hi All, I thought that I would provide you with an update and thank you for your assistance so far.
In the end I gave up with the Satellite Satfinder and purchased a unit from Screwfix that does that same thing.
Upon using it I found out a couple of things.... (in my opnion)
The Satfinder has a refresh rate which is too slow to use by iteslf.
If there is any short, the power to the LNB is disabled and will not come back on until you change the satellite you are looking for.
So far I gave up with the motor and tried directly with the dish/lnb. I pointed roughly towards astra and picked it up in 10 mins. (In fact the signal was so strong that I need to put an attenuator on the lnb to find the optimum signal)
I used Sliverfox (thanks) boquet and got some basic channels. I have managed to record and play some divx's. So it is great I am still learning and will attempt the motor sometime this week.
Regards TT