PDA

View Full Version : ultra HD receivers

fintannl
16-09-15, 16:55
Currently have the old vu duo. Buddy of mine has the vu duo2. Wondering are both these boxes ultra HD compatible. Is ultra HD simply an updated HDMI standard or is there now a totally new connection between receiver and TV. If it is just a HDMI standard update are all receivers that have HDMI output effectively ultra HD compatible. Thanks

Larry-G
16-09-15, 17:02
Pretty much all current tv's and set top boxes are incompatible with the 4k broadcast specs so you will need to buy new kit if you want to watch 4k video / programming. so no your old duo nor the duo2 for that matter will work with 4k.

fintannl
16-09-15, 17:27
I see there is a giga ultra HD receiver. I find it strange that the duo2, which is a recent box wasn't made ultra HD compatible. While I appreciate that ultra HD TVs have so may more pixels than a traditional HD TV I struggle to understand why a new receiver is required. If it is still a HDMI connection surely its a software update to the box to support the ultra HD standard? Or is there some new hardware on the receiver end that is required. Thanks

Larry-G
16-09-15, 17:34
To be honest i'm not a expert on the subject but as far as I know its two fold.

While the existing HDMI 1.4 standard can technically cope with 4k video it is limited to 30 frames per second or 30Hz, which is fine for most video but most broadcasters are looking at using higher frame rates for broadcasting their content.

also you were correct in your assumption that new stb's and tv's need new hardware for 4k that is simply not present in the current generation of HD tv's / stb's.

As for the Duo 2 that can hardly be called a cutting edge box. The 4k standard was not even finalized by the time the duo2 came to market for starters and it's almost two years old, even at launch it was not the best spec it could have been. 2 years in this game may as well be ten when it comes to supporting new standards like 4k.

mann
16-09-15, 17:41
I see there is a giga ultra HD receiver. I find it strange that the duo2, which is a recent box wasn't made ultra HD compatible. While I appreciate that ultra HD TVs have so may more pixels than a traditional HD TV I struggle to understand why a new receiver is required. If it is still a HDMI connection surely its a software update to the box to support the ultra HD standard? Or is there some new hardware on the receiver end that is required. Thanks

In short you need first a 4K telly in order to view any 4K delivered media..
A new box is needed (4k capable) in order to process the media the box is delivering..it needs/uses a different type of processing in order to deliver the 4k picture..
Very much along the lines of a HD receiver v SD receiver

Manny92
16-09-15, 17:57
Read this article http://linux-tv.com/vu-annonces-the-vu-solo4k/

Larry-G
16-09-15, 18:00
Dont expect E2 running on that box any time soon as it's being built on the arm 2 architecture and not broadcom as with other Vu+ boxes.

DaMacFunkin
16-09-15, 20:53
Other people say E2 runs on arm 2 fine you just need the kernel.

fintannl
16-09-15, 23:25
Interesting article. Does this mean we need a new receiver for 8k, 16k, 32k etc. It is promoted only as a 4k receiver

Andy_Hazza
17-09-15, 07:35
4K will replace the HD and HD will replace the SD. 4K will be here for 5 years at least and in that time SD will be phased out. Thats how I see things moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
17-09-15, 07:50
Dont expect E2 running on that box any time soon as it's being built on the arm 2 architecture and not broadcom as with other Vu+ boxes.
Yep, it does run E2. Already did at the Anga.

Rob van der Does
17-09-15, 07:51
May take even longer. See how many SD 4:3 services there still are out there.

Trial
17-09-15, 08:12
Hi,

I find it strange that the duo2, which is a recent box wasn't made ultra HD compatible.
the Duo2 is 2 years on the market and developpment started at least 1 year before. At that time there were no chips to support h265 in hardware. The VU+ 4K will be one of the first UHD STBs on the market. Roumors say it will come next month.

ciao

DaMacFunkin
17-09-15, 08:44
And I will have one as soon as it does, with no channels to watch lol.
Ps the Japanese have been trialling 8k broadcasts and hope to launch channels and consumer equipment by 2019, but I think by the time 8k comes to Europe it will be iptv.

Rob van der Does
17-09-15, 10:41
Well, there are some demo-channels already, and surely there will be several 4K-services in due time.
But if this warrants a new receiver remains the question. 3k & 8k are driven by manufacturers for economical reasons, not to please customers.

DaMacFunkin
17-09-15, 11:06
There is Canal+ 4k but there seems to be a vagueness if the solo 4k will support the ci+ protocol? I have only seen information on French sites and as I don't speak French I let the funky music do the talking...

Rob van der Does
17-09-15, 11:21
Never count on any E2-receiver to support CI+; it's a contradictio in terminis.
If it does work, it will only be temporarely and only for one or more specific CI+ CAM('s).

Trial
17-09-15, 11:41
Hi,
Germany already has itīs first commercial UHD channel. It is the well know Pearl TV UHD. There should be also Fashion TV UHD already. So 2 channel you do not want to miss:-)

ciao

Rob van der Does
17-09-15, 11:43
WoW..... running to the shop right now :D

fintannl
17-09-15, 21:59
Hi,

the Duo2 is 2 years on the market and developpment started at least 1 year before. At that time there were no chips to support h265 in hardware. The VU+ 4K will be one of the first UHD STBs on the market. Roumors say it will come next month.

ciao

I am struggling understanding this. So bear with me. In the good ole days we had SD provided over scart. Then HD came along with a new connector and associated standard. Now we move to uhd. So I get I need a uhd TV based on amount of pixels. But if you look at the stb its still a HDMI connection. You mention h265 which is a compression technology, as I understand it. And video compression is done using software algorithms not hardware. That's how I understand it which is why it confuses me why a new 4k stb is required?

ronand
17-09-15, 23:19
Its not about the video connector (hdmi) - video decoding is done by hardware - that's why a new receiver is required. That's also the reason why very few receivers can display 4:2:2 feeds as the codec support is not provided by the hardware.

fintannl
17-09-15, 23:54
As such 8k, 16k, 32k etc will all require new stbs. Or is the case that a module can be replaced in the receiver to lift it to the new level?

judge
18-09-15, 00:15
You can currently buy a 4K TV for about €400, an 8K TV for about €10,000.
Both pretty much useless while there are little to no broadcasts.

Any E2 box will also need new chips & new development to support 4K+, won't be happening any time soon.
Enjoy the box you have for now & a good few years to come.

Trial
18-09-15, 07:49
Hi,
the CPU of the STBs are on the level of an elementary school but for MPEG/h264/h265 you need a degree. I will say the CPU is only inside the box to control other hardware and give you a nice GUI. Decoding and displaying is done in specialized chips. A lot of people are thinking that only because a box has a CPU with 1.3 GHz they can be compared to a free programmable PC. To give you an impression the CPU inside Solo2/Duo2 have the performance of a >10 year old PC.

Beside decoding for UHD at leat HDMI 2.0 is needed and current boxex only have 1.4. For full UHD features you also need HDCP 2.2. HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2 are only around a year old.

Interessting is also that some UHD TV sets of 2014 are not able to watch UHD from sat.

ciao