PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Is it possible to defrag my harddrive using VIX?

bartjunited
11-09-15, 21:39
I have recently noticed stuttering on videos that I have recorded when playing them back.

I am assuming maybe wrongly that it could be due to the drive getting defragmented. Not knowing anything about Unix I might be wrong.

I am wondering whether this is the case and if so how I can go about defragging the drive

Thanks

Bart

Larry-G
11-09-15, 22:02
I have recently noticed stuttering on videos that I have recorded when playing them back.

I am assuming maybe wrongly that it could be due to the drive getting defragmented. Not knowing anything about Unix I might be wrong.

I am wondering whether this is the case and if so how I can go about defragging the drive

Thanks

Bart

Linux based file systems are built to avoid fragmentation in normal use so if your HDD was formatted or initialised via the image it won't ever need defraging nor is there a defrag utility for Linux as far as I'm aware.

bartjunited
11-09-15, 22:06
thanks i thought that might be the case

Any ideas as to what is causing my recordings to stutter (picture freezes and audio continues - until i press play or forward?

Larry-G
11-09-15, 22:09
No idea to be honest. I rarely use any of e2 boxes these days, but on my ultimo I have no issues with recordings stuttering and some of them have been on the HDD ( a 1tb drive ) for over three years.

ArowonA
11-09-15, 23:35
ubuntu comes with e4defrag installed, I've personally never used it but some Japanese bloke wrote a report suggesting in can improve read performance by up to 25% on fragmented files, I don't think he mentions how often files get fragmented on Linux but I know it's nowhere near as much as Windows
Report: http://events.linuxfoundation.org/slides/2010/linuxcon_japan/linuxcon_jp2010_fujita.pdf

Maybe you could try enabling debug logging and see if it logs any errors while playing back a video, you could also try telneting/ssh'ing to the box and running
top to see if any process is using an excessive amount of the CPU

Rob van der Does
13-09-15, 08:19
As stated above: an (internal) HDD should be formatted 9initiated) by the box. That way it gets all the required settings for recordings.
Fragmentation is no issue under Linux.
Speed of an drive is no issue either, as only large files will be recorded/played.