PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find VU Solo box via windows explorer network share

JOHNSTON
11-09-15, 00:03
Hi Team

I used to run Black hole before switching to VIX and with black hole I literally did nothing to get this working it just appeared in my network list when I opened windows explorer on any laptop I could navigate the VU solo box.

This made copying files an absolute breeze but since installing VIX I have to use filezilla to access the folders in the box. I would like to go back to the glory days of it just appearing in my network list at the side of explorer. Is this possible?

JOHNSTON
11-09-15, 00:18
Just to clarify I prefer to manually copy files FROM pc INTO my VU hard disk and leave them on the VU hard disk. I saw the guide about mounting / accessing a windows folder via the box but I do not want that.

judge
11-09-15, 00:27
Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> NFS setup or Samba setup, depending on the OS you want to connect from.

ArowonA
11-09-15, 00:27
Judge beat me to it.

JOHNSTON
11-09-15, 10:06
Thanks Judge

I am wanting to connect from Windows (various flavours Vista and 7) so would NFS be the choice here?

I am reading NFS is faster which is what I would be more interested in, as my box is connected to my router via CAT5 cable (no wifi) so I am not so worried about security. Or should I be perhaps?

** edit **

I've went for NFS I think from reading that it should be ok to use this option but I would still welcome feedback/opinion :cool:

** EDIT 2 **

Hmm so it has been installed and is running according to the box however I am not seeing it appearing in windows explorer?

ArowonA
11-09-15, 10:33
Samba would be a lot easier to use with windows client, Windows doesn't come with an NFS client (AFAIK)

JOHNSTON
11-09-15, 11:05
I attach a picture to explain what I mean / used to see. There was no setup required or installation of NFS/Samba an icon just appeared here when I turned the Solo box on when I ran black hole. Since upgrading to VIX it no longer appears.

Is it possible to make this icon appear again?

ArowonA
11-09-15, 11:07
Yes you need to install Samba on your box to get that icon back.

JOHNSTON
11-09-15, 11:08
Samba would be a lot easier to use with windows client, Windows doesn't come with an NFS client (AFAIK)

Installed this also and still I don't see anything appear in windows explorer?

Like I was under the assumption that I would see a network icon in windows explorer. Is this not the case with NFS / Samba?

ArowonA
11-09-15, 11:19
If you have Samba installed it should appear in your network list, does it show as running on the box?
You can also try accessing it from windows by pressing the 'Windows key' + 'R' and then typing \\IP_Address_Of_STB (for example \\192.168.1.1) and then click OK and it should pop up with the shares. You can ignore NFS as it's mainly for connecting to other Linux systems

JOHNSTON
11-09-15, 13:02
Yes it appears now which is excellent just need to experiment with how to play media. Thanks so much

JOHNSTON
21-06-16, 19:09
Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is occurring again. I tried the above which fixed it before but this time it just stays as an eggtimer and does nothing :confused:

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall samba maybe?