PDA

View Full Version : Password change after 30 days

Kojo_
10-09-15, 07:43
Forum requires password change after 30 days (I think itīs too often...) and when changeing it, there is an "optional" email change field which is reguired to process password change.

Could you make the email field really optional, so that we dont have to enter it during password change.

Thanks.

Andy_Hazza
10-09-15, 07:55
If you worked for an organisation you have to change every 30 days, so no different to any other. And it only happens once a month so no big deal, you will have to live with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronand
10-09-15, 08:01
The email change is optional - just leave it blank.

adm
10-09-15, 09:58
I've never filled in anything in the email fields when doing a password change.
From memory, my default user email is already populated in one box and I only change the password.

adm
10-09-15, 10:07
If you worked for an organisation you have to change every 30 days, so no different to any other.

In my place of work this seems to make the system less secure as most people have their multiple changing passwords written down in obvious places because they cannot remember them otherwise. The system enforces secure passwords where old passwords and variants cannot be reused and passwords must contain a mix of upper and lower case with at least 1 number and one special character. To compound the problems every time the company introduces a new piece of corporate software there is an imposed new user name which is in a different format to any other user name on the system.

Kojo_
10-09-15, 13:53
Itīs required. Another thing is that this behave differently regarding from where you come to change it. Reminder fills my username to email field. Manually changed it fills email address to both fields.

ronand
10-09-15, 22:23
That is a problem with your browser automatically populating fields with the wrong data. No-one else needs to put a new email address.

birdman
11-09-15, 00:31
Itīs required....but it is an admin decision to require it.

judge
11-09-15, 00:54
Null argument. Policy has been in place for many years & works well.

birdman
11-09-15, 12:20
Null argument. Policy has been in place for many years & works well.Possibly not. I suspect a lot of them are just a password with a changing number in them (which is what usually happens with a forced frequent change). Other similar sites seem to manage without password changes. Just because it appears to work doesn't mean that something less "annoying" to users wouldn't work equally well.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/458857/Password_guidance_-_simplifying_your_approach.pdf

rossi2000
11-09-15, 12:27
i have to say the frequency of changes annoys me, but i have to deal with it.

NeRd666
22-10-15, 14:08
Yes it seems a bit excessive. It annoys me.

2stein
22-10-15, 15:07
very annoying to me as well... never seen this anywhere else.

Peterj
22-10-15, 15:12
It's only 12 times a year.

robsunited
22-10-15, 16:16
It's only 12 times a year.

Good to see our security being taken seriously with these password update reminders. Very useful online habit to have in this age of the hack etc...

ArowonA
22-10-15, 21:06
I agree with some of the other post. Working in IT and being a certified ethical hacker (which is just the most pointless, worthless computer course I've ever took, but got to spend 3 weeks in India :)) I think having to change your password every 30 days actually decreases security as people will tend to write it down or reuse passwords they've used elsewhere (plus the fact that if you forget your password a new one is emailed in clear text which is valid for 30 days) it would be better if you made sure the passwords are encrypted securely and salted, which im guessing they are :)

Marvel
23-10-15, 12:36
Please for the love of God turn this off. My bank doesn't make me change my password every 30 days! So why the hell a satellite forum requires this is beyond me :mad:

Andy_Hazza
23-10-15, 12:41
Please for the love of God turn this off. My bank doesn't make me change my password every 30 days! So why the hell a satellite forum requires this is beyond me :mad:

Tough!!

Larry-G
23-10-15, 15:29

Yeah well you can come and cry to us when some little scrypt kiddie hacks your bank and nicks your life savings until then tough shit, either lean to live with it or find another forum. it's really that simple.

bellejt
23-10-15, 15:41
just use the same password :) But anoying when watching the site on phone

Marvel
23-10-15, 16:37
Yeah well you can come and cry to us when some little scrypt kiddie hacks your bank and nicks your life savings until then tough shit, either lean to live with it or find another forum. it's really that simple.
You think flaming me will change my mind ? It's an annoying feature and I'm entitled to my opinion.

And why the frig would I come on here to cry if someone hacked by bank account hahah

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

2stein
23-10-15, 16:54
just overkill.

Larry-G
23-10-15, 17:07
You think flaming me will change my mind ? It's an annoying feature and I'm entitled to my opinion.

And why the frig would I come on here to cry if someone hacked by bank account hahah

If I were flaming you, you would know about it pal. never the less this is not a democracy and the current security measures are here to stay.

twol
23-10-15, 17:37
Which is why you should take a deep breath and accept it ....... this is at least the 3rd time this has been discussed.
I am surprised that it even sees the light of day ... its a dead topic:)

ronand
24-10-15, 03:00

Judging by your post count you don't come on here much anyway

jukkal
24-10-15, 11:05
just overkill.

Agreed. After all, this is not a bank and I don't think anybody posts any sensitive information here. And people CAN change their passwords as often as they like, even when they are not forced to.
But like somebodiy wrote, this is not a democracy. And we don't get to vote about it.

fredphoesh
24-11-15, 11:54
Hello guys,

My bank has not insisted I change my password in 5 years, neither has my account with my other bank, my social security account, my pretty much everything in my life... so I don't understand why there is any need for this forum to be so concerned for my security that it asks me to change my password every month, it seems over the top, bordering on completely nuts.

I got this message today: "Your password is 33 days old, and has therefore expired."

Can you guys please change this rule, it is unnecessary and I cannot remember many passwords, and am not always able to use Lastpass as I may be logged in on another computer.

Tx
"Fred" (hows that for tight security, not using my real name... foxy ey? (it's Mark.)

electrocop
24-11-15, 12:48
I agree, it is insane. None of the other satellite forums require that the password is changed from one year to the next.

(Send me a PM if you want to know my solution to this)

duoduo
24-11-15, 13:15
I have asked this before, you won't win fellas it is to stay as is. I did learn something I didn't know when asking previously, you can just type the same password again so no need to change.

abu baniaz
24-11-15, 15:19
DW do it although not as frequent
DK do it
LSS used to do it until a few months ago

There was a hack on one of the forums a while back. This is why this policy is there.

s2tephen
24-11-15, 17:18
Why don't you put it to a forum vote.

Sicilian
24-11-15, 17:24

Cos I wouldn't listen :lol3:

Anyway its been relaxed a little, not totally :p

Larry-G
24-11-15, 19:11

Because this is not a democracy and you frankly dont have a say in the matter, like it or not.

I have said this before and will say it again, the requirement to update your password every so often is here to stay so stop moaning accept it, or go to another forum. it really is that easy.

djkross
24-11-15, 23:19
Was it a hack? Or was it just a SQL db dump? As if it's that password changes won't matter. Also I might have changed a password here yesterday *EXAMPLE* then signed up to another site with same details then that site gets sql'ed. the method fails, none of my business just saying.

fredphoesh
24-11-15, 23:23
Because this is not a democracy and you frankly dont have a say in the matter, like it or not.

I have said this before and will say it again, the requirement to update your password every so often is here to stay so stop moaning accept it, or go to another forum. it really is that easy.
Could you please give the reason that rule is there?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

ronand
25-11-15, 00:26
The admins have decided upon it - reasons are not needed. You can like it or lump it. Its been asked many times before and has not changed so far. Forums are not the place for free speech or "democracy" - if it were there would be no un-elected mods/admins.

abu baniaz
25-11-15, 00:31
The two threads have been merged.

fredphoesh
25-11-15, 01:10
The admins have decided upon it - reasons are not needed. You can like it or lump it. Its been asked many times before and has not changed so far. Forums are not the place for free speech or "democracy" - if it were there would be no un-elected mods/admins.

"Reasons are not needed"? If there is no reason then why not change it to something more sensible for the reason of being sensible. Or do you mean, the admin do not need to give reasons because, well, they just don't feel like it? If that is what you mean, that sounds really childish and a bit disrespectful of it's members. It seems like it would not take very much to be polite and to let members know why they need to do something so unusual as to change passwords. I do beta testing for Adobe, in 10 years of being on their forum I have never needed to change my password... not for my bank or my tax records... these are much more private and "serious" accounts.

abu baniaz
25-11-15, 08:58
Some old threads.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36486-30-day-password-change

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?19726-why-password-reset-every-40-days-or-whatever-it-is

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9931-renew-password

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6646-why-change-password

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?4030-change-password

2stein
25-11-15, 09:51
"Reasons are not needed"? If there is no reason then why not change it to something more sensible for the reason of being sensible. Or do you mean, the admin do not need to give reasons because, well, they just don't feel like it? If that is what you mean, that sounds really childish and a bit disrespectful of it's members. It seems like it would not take very much to be polite and to let members know why they need to do something so unusual as to change passwords. I do beta testing for Adobe, in 10 years of being on their forum I have never needed to change my password... not for my bank or my tax records... these are much more private and "serious" accounts.
i totally agree. but some forum owners just like to demonstrate their power...

mobileman
25-11-15, 10:03
Get a grip and stop whinging password and account security is in the press everyday

Also when changing and as mentioned you can keep it the same so the 10 second hardship actually takes less time than your ramblings on this thread [emoji85][emoji13]

fredphoesh
25-11-15, 10:06
Actually it didn't, I wrote a long post on my phone and lost it because I couldn't sign in... Very annoying actually. WRT security, what user info needs to be protected, what size dish you have?

mobileman
25-11-15, 10:16
Actually it didn't, I wrote a long post on my phone and lost it because I couldn't sign in... Very annoying actually. WRT security, what user info needs to be protected, what size dish you have?

No maybe the forum gets hacked , they then had your password and used it and tried it on your other sites including you banking / financial / shopping accounts and then start to defraud you of goods and or money the more regular this is changed the less likely you could get caught out

Now reading this thread a lot of you probably use same password on everything and then would get stung and spend a lot more time changing all passwords and going through stolen identity issues

I have over 170 logins for various sites and accounts all are different and random generated using blowfish encryption so if that gets hacked then I'm in serious shit anyway as must be down one really after me !! also and banking ones aren't stored anywhere other than head.

So question is what damage could be done with that one password and associated email address and or private message information rather than your dish size ??

Sicilian
25-11-15, 10:43
i totally agree. but some forum owners just like to demonstrate their power...

Some of the comments on here are absolutely f&*King ridiculous!!! Demonstrate power????? FFS!!! This is 1st time I've ever sworn or got majorly annoyed in any thread ever since I opened this Forum.

There many reason why password change is in place, security for our members, spam bots, all sorts. Spam bots often lay dormant after registering, then after a period of time start posting shit. With the password change it helps block them.

Basically like or lump it :)
I have enough on plate than to listen or read BS like this! I've just spent most of the morning fixing other stuff on OpenViX server, then get accused of wanting to 'Demonstrate power'! Get a F&*King life man! :finger:

2stein
25-11-15, 10:50
quod erad demonstrandum :finger:

Sicilian
25-11-15, 10:53

Carry on taking the piss and I will demonstrate my power (as you put it), 1st and last warning, I don't have time for bullshit like this. I'm a fair person and do listen, I've even posted that it's been relaxed a little. It's in place for the security of the forum and it's members.

Bazzer
25-11-15, 10:59

Get a life man for Christ's sake I bet you are the first to come on here if you have a problem with other issues you should be thankful for what these guys do instead of moaning about a minor thing :mad:

fredphoesh
25-11-15, 11:06
Wow, forgot to take your hormone pills? I was never rude, so object to your inappropriate tone. As I've said over and over, (and no more because I'm boring myself) this password change thing is a first time for me, and I'm on about 200 sign ins. Not even lastpass forces me to change my master password.

Anyway, I'll use the 10 second work around next time.

Sicilian
25-11-15, 11:13
Anyway, I'll use the 10 second work around next time.

Thank you for alerting me to that, expired passwords can now no longer be re-used for 180 days.

Thread closed.