PDA

View Full Version : help with bricked vix solo

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 09:40
hi i made this thread yesterday and no answer yet
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47840-ts-media&p=373410#post373410
i installed tsmedai from the feeds on vix and its caused it to hang on startup
also wont recognise my usb now so i cant flash it
can u flash from telnet or ftp?

DaMacFunkin
09-09-15, 09:48
If you are sure it isn't a clone I would try and obtain a different usb stick, preferably a less than 8gb, I use a 2gb Kingston in all my boxes and stuff and it has never let me down, failing that you will have to go the rs232 route (good luck).
Oh and think twice about installing TS media again.

john doe
09-09-15, 09:52
if you have backed up your image, try install that again and update

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 10:43
i wont be installing it again
shouldnt really be on the feeds if its going to do that:/
defo not a clone as its out of the shop here

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 10:43
if you have backed up your image, try install that again and update

havnt got a backup
really pissed off with this
seems tsmedia has known issues with vix

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 10:59
any other usb sticks to suggest?
i cant buy kingston usb on the highstreet none in stock

twol
09-09-15, 11:08
any other usb sticks to suggest?
i cant buy kingston usb on the highstreet none in stock
Take a deep breath!
Most usb sticks will work.
Just buy one..... Doesn,t have to be usb 3.0 or super fast or loads of gigabytes.
Format Fat32... If not sure there is a tool on the forum for doing that.
Copy over the appropiate image folder
Make sure nothing else is attached to the receiver and follow the flashing procedure for the receiver.:)

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 11:16
Take a deep breath!
Most usb sticks will work.
Just buy one..... Doesn,t have to be usb 3.0 or super fast or loads of gigabytes.
Format Fat32... If not sure there is a tool on the forum for doing that.
Copy over the appropiate image folder
Make sure nothing else is attached to the receiver and follow the flashing procedure for the receiver.:)

ive tried 3 different pen drives now mate:/ verbatim 8gb pny 4gb and a sandisk 8gb all formatted to fat32:/

judge
09-09-15, 11:17
Any USB stick will work if its formatted properly.
As for 3rd party plugins, that's another story...

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 11:22
Any USB stick will work if its formatted properly.
As for 3rd party plugins, that's another story...

so ive just been using windows format tool.poster above mentioned a tool to format with?
worth a shot then? as these pen drives work for recording/moutning for epgs ect

ronand
09-09-15, 11:29
HP format tool is the name of the commonly used utility - google it. Are you sure you are expanding the files correctly onto the usb drive? What files are on the usb drive?

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 11:48
HP format tool is the name of the commonly used utility - google it. Are you sure you are expanding the files correctly onto the usb drive? What files are on the usb drive?

so ive been formatting the usb drive with windows format tool to fat32 then extracting vix 3.2.004 3rd of september release:/
when in the usb stick the directories are vuplus--solo--then the vix stuff

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 12:51
ok so formatted my verbatim 8gb usb stick with hp format tool and stuck new version of vix in it vuplus-solo-
doesnt try to boot via usb stick just hangs on openvix window

ronand
09-09-15, 13:28
If the openvix screen comes up then the receiver is not loading from the usb stick. Make sure there is nothing else connected and try a different usb port. Do not use a large usb stick - 1gb or 2gb is plenty.

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 13:30
If the openvix screen comes up then the receiver is not loading from the usb stick. Make sure there is nothing else connected and try a different usb port. Do not use a large usb stick - 1gb or 2gb is plenty.

have u tried to get a 1 or 2 gb usb stick lately?:P

wullboy
09-09-15, 13:31
If you happen to have a second usb stick on the box, then remove it first....just a thought m8 [ 2gb lg usb stick work ok m8 ]

wallnut
09-09-15, 13:31
I know the HP format tool is the one that most people recommend but I always use MiniAide Fat32 Formatter (Home Edition) to format my usb sticks ( Google for it).
I was then able to flash my solo with usb sticks that it previously didn't recognise.

Once your up and running It might also be a good idea to set up a swap file, and remember not to install too many plugins as the solo has limited memory.

ccs
09-09-15, 13:32
Daft question, are you powering off the receiver at the mains first before attempting to flash?

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 13:37
If you happen to have a second usb stick on the box, then remove it first....just a thought m8 [ 2gb lg usb stick work ok m8 ]

nah no 2nd stick or anything buddy

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 13:38
I know the HP format tool is the one that most people recommend but I always use MiniAide Fat32 Formatter (Home Edition) to format my usb sticks ( Google for it).
I was then able to flash my solo with usb sticks that it previously didn't recognise.

Once your up and running It might also be a good idea to set up a swap file, and remember not to install too many plugins as the solo has limited memory.

if i get this working again lol this is simply to watch tv with no mor efancy stuff lmfao

browneyes1888
09-09-15, 13:39
Daft question, are you powering off the receiver at the mains first before attempting to flash?

yep full power off
my backs broke lol

stewartie4
09-09-15, 15:53
The steps I normally use after running into similar issues.
1. Format the flash drive to fat32 (windows, or HP has worked for me)
2. Drag the zip file to the root of USB flash drive
3. Extract the zip file there
4. detete the zip file
5. Remove any USB device attached to device (eg. HDD)
6. plug the drive in the front port
7. switch off using the switch at the back, leave off for 5 seconds
8. switch on and watch the VFD for a message that says "press power"
9. Press the power button (obviosuly)
10. remove the flash drive when it reboots

Things to note:

remove ALL usb devices (this was an issue holding me back)
ensure is is formatted FAT32, use slow format if it is not recognized