PDA

View Full Version : DVB-T drivers for other sticks

Houdini
19-12-10, 16:27
Hello ViX gurus,

pardon my forward approach, but I would like to port some more DVB-T drivers for the ViX team. I have done one for the AzureWave DVB stick; maplin special (when I used DE image.. but that team had Primadonna attitudes which I didnt like) and I have ported the AverMedia Volar drivers to a 2.6.18 linux distribution and would like to get it going on the Vix Image. Before I get started I would like to make the drivers in-line with the sundeck drivers (I dont want to re-invent the wheel)

is there anything special that is needed? .. Like the DE image where they made a new dvb-core/dvb-usb driver and such?

H

Avermedia Volar
Wintv NOVA-t
AzureWave (realtek chipset)

RogerThis
19-12-10, 20:15
Houdini,

That's great news, Andy was looking for some help with the development of DVB-T.
AFAIK, the Sundtek panel was developed by Sundtek. So I'm not sure you would be able to use it for other drivers. Irishchris would know more.

The SifTeam have been developing USB DVB-T on the vuplus, which could be used in ViX as they are open source.

I have the WinTV Nova-T, and they were talking of implementing it on the next version ViX 1.4.

Hopefully you will be able to help.

silverfox0786
19-12-10, 20:25
Hello ViX gurus,

pardon my forward approach, but I would like to port some more DVB-T drivers for the ViX team. I have done one for the AzureWave DVB stick; maplin special (when I used DE image.. but that team had Primadonna attitudes which I didnt like) and I have ported the AverMedia Volar drivers to a 2.6.18 linux distribution and would like to get it going on the Vix Image. Before I get started I would like to make the drivers in-line with the sundeck drivers (I dont want to re-invent the wheel)

is there anything special that is needed? .. Like the DE image where they made a new dvb-core/dvb-usb driver and such?

H

Avermedia Volar
Wintv NOVA-t
AzureWave (realtek chipset)

pm andyblac or Sicilian with your intensions mate we need a dvb-t developer

irishchris
19-12-10, 20:33
the problem with other usb tuners other than sundtek is the necessity to use I2c and endless I2c module errors when trying to port the likes of avermedia and hauppage to the vu+. sundtek does not require access to this module and hence no errors. the sundtek panel uses drivers direct from sundtek as it logs into sundtek.com while running the installer and downloads the most up to date drivers for their device. but by all means contact andy and i am certain he will appreciate any help in developing this area further as he is the only image coder and is already working tirelessly on all the other areas of the vix image.

Houdini
19-12-10, 21:31
the problem with other usb tuners other than sundtek is the necessity to use I2c and endless I2c module errors when trying to port the likes of avermedia and hauppage to the vu+. sundtek does not require access to this module and hence no errors. the sundtek panel uses drivers direct from sundtek as it logs into sundtek.com while running the installer and downloads the most up to date drivers for their device. but by all means contact andy and i am certain he will appreciate any help in developing this area further as he is the only image coder and is already working tirelessly on all the other areas of the vix image.

I agree its nice and tidy... but this is a technical challenge that I am willing to step up to the plate and solve. The drivers worked on the DE image, they work on OpenPli and other images without too many problems.
Perhaps the kernel config needs i2c enabled in the .config or something small like that, but simple answers arent always the way forward.

H

Houdini
20-12-10, 18:28
Used the makefile from the VuPlus homepage and it builds stblinux-2.6.18-6.6.tar.bz2

Where the F... is the recipe and makefiles that build stblinux-2.6.18-7.3.tar.bz2 since that is the version on the STB.

From VuPlus Openembedded Makefile ->> '2.6.18-6.6 SMP mod_unload MIPS32_R1 32BIT gcc-4.1'
On the STB ->> '2.6.18-7.3 SMP mod_unload MIPS32_R1 32BIT gcc-4.4'

Any assistance from a ViX person on perhaps a new kernel/Makefile that needs to be used?

Thanks
H

bassethound
20-12-10, 18:30
pm andyblac all you questions

Houdini
22-12-10, 08:31
Its a start...

Using code from the openPLI :-P ... then it dies. grabbing the original from Avermedia and changing

H

AVerMedia A867 driver module V1.0.27 loaded.
usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_A867
usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using brcm-ehci-1 and address 2
usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
dvb-usb: found a 'AVerMedia A867 DVB-T Recevier' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
CPU 0 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000000, epc == c0161854, ra == c0161840
Oops[#1]:
Cpu 0
$ 0 : 00000000 10008700 00000000 00000001

Houdini
22-12-10, 11:08
yaaaay... it loads... now to try get it working -

AVerMedia A867 driver module V1.0.27 loaded.
GPIO Mapping : A867
===af903x usb device pluged in!! ===
- Enter Device_init Function -
USB mode= 0x200
- Enter DRV_SetBusTuner Function -busId = 0x2, tunerId =0xff
- Enter DRV_SetBusTuner Function -busId = 0x2, tunerId =0xff
- Enter DRV_GetEEPROMConfig Function -EEPROM_IRMODE = 0x05, bIrTblDownload ON
- Enter DRV_GetEEPROMConfig2 Function -EEPROM_TUNERID0 = 0xA0
- Enter DRV_SetBusTuner Function -busId = 0x2, tunerId =0xa0
- Enter DRV_TunerWakeup Function -
- Enter DRV_Initialize Function -
Fw version is the same!
MxL5007 Open Device initialize Ok!!
FwVer OFDM = 0x41506FB, FwVer LINK = 0xA0A0300
- Enter DRV_IrTblDownload Function -
LoadIrTable : Can't open file
LoadIrTable fail!
enter DRV_ApCtrl: ucSlaveDemod = 0, bOn = OFF
- Enter DRV_TunerPowerCtrl Function , bPowerOn=0 -
Detected tuner ID: 0xa0
Device_init success!!
- Enter af903x_identify_state Function -
dvb-usb: found a 'AVerMedia A867 DVB-T Recevier' in warm state.
- Enter af903x_powerctrl Function - ON
Enter DL_ApCtrl: bOn = ON, use_cnt=0
DL_ApCtrl: call DRV_ApCtrl(ON)
enter DRV_ApCtrl: ucSlaveDemod = 0, bOn = ON
- Enter DRV_TunerPowerCtrl Function , bPowerOn=1 -
A337 resetpdc->bTunerPowerOff == true
MxL5007 OpenExit DL_ApCtrl: bOn = ON, dwError = 0
- Exit af903x_powerctrl Function - ON, ret=0
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (AVerMedia A867 DVB-T Recevier)
- Enter af903x_frontend_attach Function -
- Enter af903x_attach Function -
DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (A867 USB DVB-T)...
- Enter af903x_tuner_attach Function -
- Enter af903x_powerctrl Function - OFF
Enter DL_ApCtrl: bOn = OFF, use_cnt=1
DL_ApCtrl: call DRV_ApCtrl(OFF)
enter DRV_ApCtrl: ucSlaveDemod = 0, bOn = OFF
- Enter DRV_TunerPowerCtrl Function , bPowerOn=0 -
Exit DL_ApCtrl: bOn = OFF, dwError = 0
- Exit af903x_powerctrl Function - OFF, ret=0
dvb-usb: AVerMedia A867 DVB-T Recevier successfully initialized and connected.
dvb_usb_device_init success!!
root@bm750:/tmp#

Houdini
22-12-10, 13:33
The sundek driver is hijacking the FrontEnd! When I open /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0, the sundeck driver start doing something! ... Is this compiled in to the kernel? Where is that driver?!

I have done a fresh install if Vix 1.3 image and I still get Sundeck messages.. How was this device crowbared in ?

dvb-usb: AVerMedia A867 DVB-T Recevier successfully initialized and connected.
dvb_usb_device_init success!!
CPU 1 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000020, epc == c0adc654, ra == c016aba4
Oops[#1]:
DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Sundtek DVB-T)...
Cpu 1

Houdini
23-12-10, 10:31
UPDATE:

On my Vu+Duo.. dont know the stability yet of the DVB-T driver (the remoteTuner is a hack app) but it tunes and runs.

./remoteTuner
-=-=-=-= INFO =-=-=-=-
Name: A867 USB DVB-T
FE Descriptor: 3
Min Freq: 48000000
Max Freq: 860000000
Type: DVB-T
Opened 32 Demuxers on device /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
Opened DVR device /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0 on handle 36
Opened Virtual tuner /dev/misc/vtuner0
Virtual FrontEnd Registered
FE_SET_FRONTEND: 626166670
Adding pid 0000 on fd 4 [rc is 0]
Adding pid 012d on fd 5 [rc is 0]
Adding pid 012e on fd 6 [rc is 0]
Sender Thread created OK
===> Writing 146 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 225 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 217 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 267 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 236 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 278 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 133 Kilobytes/second

RogerThis
23-12-10, 13:18
Houdini, That's great work. Thanks a lot.
Have you tried it with the WinTV Nova-T or is it just with the Avermedia?

Houdini
23-12-10, 13:20
Still some gremlins with the stick... it doesnt report the SNR/BER or if it has a lock.. I forced the LOCK to all frequencies and that seems to have done the trick. (although I want to know why it doest report the correct data.

It Works! :-)

H

Adding pid 0012 on fd 4 [rc is 0]
FE_READ_STATUS: 0000
===> Writing 433 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 429 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 417 Kilobytes/second
===> Writing 426 Kilobytes/second

Houdini
23-12-10, 13:27
Houdini, That's great work. Thanks a lot.
Have you tried it with the WinTV Nova-T or is it just with the Avermedia?

This is the Avermedia driver only... After I finish with this stick, the WinTV-Nova T (dibxxxx driver afaik) is on my TODO list

H

bassethound
23-12-10, 14:01
Thanks for all the great work Houdini looking forward to the WinTV Nova-T working with vix

good luck bassethound

irishchris
23-12-10, 14:06
yes good luck with it mate. well done on what you have achieved already

Houdini
23-12-10, 16:10
Attached is the binary for the AverMedia Volar HD Stick (A867)

insmod the dvb-usb.ko
insmod a867.ko

./usbtuner

and then restart Enigma2 (Restart ONLY the GUI) for the Virtual Tuner to be registered with Enigma. A script can be created to auto-start the DVB-T on bootup :-P

the USBTUNER application is the same as before (although I hate it, my version is not ready for distribution [remoteTuner])

[DOWNLOAD]4824

N.B. DO NOT have the Sundeck packages or drivers installed!!!! They cause a conflict with DVB resources.

Houdini
23-12-10, 18:00
This is the Avermedia driver only... After I finish with this stick, the WinTV-Nova T (dibxxxx driver afaik) is on my TODO list

H

These WinTV Nova drivers are so full of crap... going to take me a while to figure out where some memory pointers are getting lost/mangled

H

bob1
23-12-10, 18:19
Nice work ,i have the nova-t myself so hopefully you will get it working for that as well.

RogerThis
23-12-10, 21:02
BlackHole, Tododream and SifTeam have drivers for the WinTV Nova-T.

Is there one driver that all the images use?
Or does it need to be completely rewritten for the ViX image?

Houdini
23-12-10, 21:39
BlackHole, Tododream and SifTeam have drivers for the WinTV Nova-T.

Is there one driver that all the images use?
Or does it need to be completely rewritten for the ViX image?

Its most probably the same driver... the problem comes in that most of the drivers are made for new kernels .. and the Vu+/Dream dont have new ones :-P So there are a couple of methods to fix the problem .1 Move the Kernel DVB-API version to the latest (which is difficult for me as I dont want to re-flash my box for every test).. or Backport the drivers so that they work on 2.6.18.

If I can get their sources (the Pli test versions dont work) I can give it a whirl

For a quick test, get the kernel modules and load them.. see what explodes :-) (but I prefer source)

H

RogerThis
23-12-10, 22:42
So where are you getting the driver for the Avermedia? Sifteam?

You are a great assist to the ViX team.

Houdini
24-12-10, 09:55
So where are you getting the driver for the Avermedia? Sifteam?

You are a great assist to the ViX team.

I got the A867 driver from the Avermedia website.. ported myself :-)

Sicilian
25-12-10, 08:23
Welcome to the ViX Beta testing Team Houdini, thank you for your assistnace with DVB-T :)

Houdini
25-12-10, 09:06
Welcome to the ViX Beta testing Team Houdini, thank you for your assistnace with DVB-T :)

Thanks... now to crack the WinTV nut

RogerThis
25-12-10, 15:27
Congrats on the beta tester. I have the WinTV so I'm hoping you can crack that nut soon. I think you will get a good bit more feedback on the WinTV. Thanks for all the work thus far.

Houdini
25-12-10, 17:35
Congrats on the beta tester. I have the WinTV so I'm hoping you can crack that nut soon. I think you will get a good bit more feedback on the WinTV. Thanks for all the work thus far.

Its only software :-) Just some genius at the wintv company thought that making one driver use 8 kernel modules was a good idea.... makes it harder to debug

Houdini
25-12-10, 20:13
Getting closer,

this is the latest v4l driver on the Vu+ (its not the same dvb-core.ko that is on the ViX compilation) - so now I have to see if the other drivers will work with my version of dvb-core.ko.. (and I have had way too much alcohol today.. Tomorrows task!)

======== SNIP =========
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input0
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized and connected.
Firmware version: 66, 17, 0x10200, 0
usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_dib0700

silverfox0786
25-12-10, 20:28
Getting closer,

this is the latest v4l driver on the Vu+ (its not the same dvb-core.ko that is on the ViX compilation) - so now I have to see if the other drivers will work with my version of dvb-core.ko.. (and I have had way too much alcohol today.. Tomorrows task!)

======== SNIP =========
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input0
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized and connected.
Firmware version: 66, 17, 0x10200, 0
usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_dib0700

now i realise why your name is houdini

your brilliant mate well done so far

stanley1
25-12-10, 21:26
thanks houdini for all the effort and hard work, dvb-t with wintv (nova-t) would make my box with vix 1.3 way out in front of the rest.

Houdini
26-12-10, 11:37
UPDATE : WinTV Nova working..

bcm_7355.ko and dvb-core.ko all need the dvb-api to be updated.

Stanman
26-12-10, 12:20
Question, why is there SS1 on a terrestrial stick?

Houdini
26-12-10, 13:18
Question, why is there SS1 on a terrestrial stick?

Phone up Sky and ask them :-) Its a crypted channel

stanley1
26-12-10, 13:28
UPDATE : WinTV Nova working..

bcm_7355.ko and dvb-core.ko all need the dvb-api to be updated.

great to see you have wintv stick working, can you tell me how do I update dvb-api on files you mention.

Regards

andyblac
26-12-10, 13:32
great to see you have wintv stick working, can you tell me how do I update dvb-api on files you mention.

Regards

this thread is being locked, as this something NOT going to be added to VIX1.3. and should not have been talked about there.