PDA

View Full Version : Maximising my Vu+ Duo2's potential! Advice required!

gcon45
01-09-15, 23:04
FHi guys.

I'm currently getting to grips with my Vu+ Duo2 box.

I specced the box with 2 x DVB S2 tuners as I have 2 x coax feeds to the dish.

I was happy enough with this setup until I learned that I could use the box as a remote server so other members of my family or I could watch remotely.

Tuner contention will be an issue however I'm sure, especially when one is watching and recording and another is trying to do the same remotely so I'm just wondering what my options are.

I could install 2 x DVB S2 dual tuners but getting another 2 coax feeds into where the box is situated (basement) is a no go. The current run of shotgun coax just made it through the conduit and no more.

Are there any ways round this?
Can you daisy chain tuners at all or are there other options?

Thanks in advance :)

Clabs
01-09-15, 23:15
There really isn't another easy option mate - you need to find another way to get another 2 feeds to your Duo2.

Can you re-site the Duo2 anywhere else where adding another couple of feeds will be no problem? If you can, then as long as you have an RJ45 connection in the basement, then you can share the tuners from there via another E2 receiver.

gcon45
01-09-15, 23:50
Thanks for the response!

I could look into moving the Vu+ Duo 2 upstairs to somewhere with easier access to the dish and feed Ethernet between boxes.

The E2 receiver I'd need for the basement is just for watching sports over a projector so it doesn't need to have lots of features. I don't need to record on it either.

What E2 receiver would you recommend that is simple, reliable and relatively cheap?

simono5
02-09-15, 08:01
What E2 receiver would you recommend that is simple, reliable and relatively cheap?

VU Zero would be my recommendation.

Trial
02-09-15, 08:26
Hi,
if you have access to the sat system you can for instance see if there are LNBs on the market with legacy and unicable feed or if you use a multiswitch look if the can be replaced by a switch with unicable or installing a mini router to make unicable out of several feeds. Another solution are stacker and destacker which combine 2 feeds in one cable. So a lot of possible solution but all connected to spending some (more) money.

ciao

twol
02-09-15, 08:56
Thanks for the response!

I could look into moving the Vu+ Duo 2 upstairs to somewhere with easier access to the dish and feed Ethernet between boxes.

The E2 receiver I'd need for the basement is just for watching sports over a projector so it doesn't need to have lots of features. I don't need to record on it either.

Depends how many other users you will have.... If you can get the Duo upstairs, change if necessary the dish LNB to a quad and run 4 cables to the Duo it would give you more flexibility... And then go with ethernet to Zero,s.
Or... If you have the cash run the LNB to a small multiswitch (EMP Centauri Profi that takes quad or quattro LNB,S) and run 4 cables to the DUo and 2 using the existing cables to the basement (pity to waste it) and ethernet the rest :)

mobileman
02-09-15, 13:26
sorry to jump in on thread but this covers some good questions

I have a octo lnb (another option for the OP) for my duo2 (triple tuner) and sky hd box
now i could run another feed but reading this could i just use a solo as a slave device without having to feed another cable and it sends the programs down ethernet ?

judge
02-09-15, 13:59
now i could run another feed but reading this could i just use a solo as a slave device without having to feed another cable and it sends the programs down ethernet ?

Yes, it will tie up a tuner when in use though.

bellejt
02-09-15, 14:04
you can use a stacker destacker if you have a quad LNB.This means that from your 2 cables you have 4 connections.Just do a goole on satelite stacker-destacker.Then yu will have optimal use of your box and dual tuners

TK4|2|1
02-09-15, 18:23
I just ordered a unicable lnb for £17. Can run up to 4 tuners off 1 cable + 1 legacy output.

gcon45
06-09-15, 19:53
Many thanks for the responses!

I think I will move the box to where I can get 4 feeds and install 2 dual tuners.

Another thing, I have been trying to access my Duo2 via my Panasonic smart TV with little success.
I did manage to get it going briefly but no matter what I do now when I select a channel it tries to load but comes up 'cannot read file'.

From what I've read the consensus seems to be that trying to get Panasonic's DNLA system to work wirelessly with your Vu+ box isn't worth the heartache.

Would you guys agree?