PDA

View Full Version : Network Vu+ drive on pc

bacardi
19-12-10, 11:20
I seem to be unable to see my vu hard drive from my pc since i installed vix. I used to have vti and pli on it and it showed up as bm750. Is there anyway to fix this on the vix image, ie like a plugin to download (i could not see a plugin)

cheers

Delagroov
20-12-10, 10:12
Look in etc/samba/samba.conf and make the workgroup-name the same as your PC.

Restart box and PC and normally it should be vissiable on your PC

bacardi
20-12-10, 23:43
Thank you very much it now works fine

Malcolm-X
22-12-10, 00:36

Thanks for that mate, it's helped me out too!

Tkr001
22-12-10, 06:40
Helped me too. Given it used to work what was the rationale for changing the workgroup name in the conf. Surely leaving it at the windoze default of WORKGROUP would have been best. Perhaps it could be made a configuration option rather than having to ftp it out, edit it and ftp back.

silverfox0786
22-12-10, 06:44
Helped me too. Given it used to work what was the rationale for changing the workgroup name in the conf. Surely leaving it at the windoze default of WORKGROUP would have been best. Perhaps it could be made a configuration option rather than having to ftp it out, edit it and ftp back.

the vu does not use workgroups to look for a network share but rather ip ranges

as long as you are within 192.168.x.x then the vu will pick it up in network browser

Tkr001
22-12-10, 19:57
Yes but that isn't the issue. The problem was the VU HDD not being picked up on a windows PC even though it was mounted ad a CIFS share created on the VUDUO.

Malcolm-X
22-12-10, 23:12
Hi Guys,

Just out of interest, currently soon as I turn my PC on I can see a virtual drive (bm750) on my networks, but how would I turn this off so people connecting to my home wifi can not see the bm750 allowing access to my VU+?

Regards

silverfox0786
22-12-10, 23:20
that you cant do malcom if they see your router they see your shares unless you change the workgroup but for the duo it has no workgroup so it will be seen

maybe we can look into protecting it within menu settings

Malcolm-X
23-12-10, 00:13
that you cant do malcom if they see your router they see your shares unless you change the workgroup but for the duo it has no workgroup so it will be seen

maybe we can look into protecting it within menu settings

Hi Silverfox,

That would be great if we could as it would apply an extra means of protection.

The feature is great from a personal point of view as I find it a great way of transferring video files to and from the receiver HDD, but I can see someone using my home WiFi accidentally tampering with the bm750 network.

adroin
27-12-10, 05:14
Hi Malcom-X,

Putting some security on the share itself looks like an option too. I've never done it on the VuPlus so I coundn't tell you if it works or not, but in theory you can do this by changing the default /etc/samba.smb.conf file. By default the samba service on the VuPlus is in "share mode" security. You also have a "guest account = root" parameter set, which means that anybody that double-click on BM750 is automatically logged onto the VuPLus as user 'root'. You can start by editing the conf file and have a look at http://samba.org to see what each parameter does. Basically the idea would be to enable the user security mode of Samba, or to filter access upon IP addresses, as you like.

psionguy
27-12-10, 14:33
I must be having a senior moment, but I have not been able to get my VU+ drive (bm750) to be available on my network. Would someone be so kind as to provide a little more detail on how to do this.

adroin
29-12-10, 03:59
Hi Psionguy,

The BM750 drive relies on the Samba software on the Vu+. It normally works fine as far as you have a "Standard" configuration... Which means that the issues you'll have will mostly come from the way your compotuer OS is configured, and the way your local network is configured too.
If you're using XP SP3, Vista or Win 7, first check if the Firewall profile enables you to "discover network". Many problems come from an improper setting of the firewall profile.

psionguy
29-12-10, 11:20
Hi adroin

Thanks for your reply. With my previous image (PLI) it worked, it is only since I installed VIX that I have not been able to see the hard drive. so must assume it is not a setting issue, although I will check to be sure.

harryoz
29-12-10, 16:23

thank's guy's it worked for me too. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

jas
03-01-11, 23:23
Hi all
Can someone help, I have 500gb usb hard drive connected to VU+ solo. Can i see this drive through my laptop running Win7 also can i copy films and music to this hard drive so i can play through media player from VU solo.

How can i do "Look in etc/samba/samba.conf and make the workgroup-name the same as your PC"

Thanks

Larry-G
03-01-11, 23:28
Hi all
Can someone help, I have 500gb usb hard drive connected to VU+ solo. Can i see this drive through my laptop running Win7 also can i copy films and music to this hard drive so i can play through media player from VU solo.

How can i do "Look in etc/samba/samba.conf and make the workgroup-name the same as your PC"

Thanks

connect to your receiver using a FTP client and look in the folder called samba within the etc directory, there you will see a file called samba.conf. open this with notepad and do as instructed above.

Alanp
05-01-11, 17:34
I have done this still unable to see it, I have maybe a silly question but when setting up the CFIS share is the ip address for the duo or for the server ie the router?

silverfox0786
05-01-11, 17:38
its the duo ip and dont use CIFS use NFS its better

Alanp
05-01-11, 18:14
Changed it to NFS still cant see it on my PC must be missing something ?

silverfox0786
05-01-11, 18:15
it may be your router i spent 2 days trying to find my duo and after a router change it popped up straight away

Alanp
05-01-11, 18:16
Ok my router is a netgear WNR3500

Sicilian
05-01-11, 18:17
Changed it to NFS still cant see it on my PC must be missing something ?

Are you using Windows7? If so make network file sharing is enabled.

Alanp
05-01-11, 18:19
Yes using Windows 7 64bit how do I do this

silverfox0786
05-01-11, 18:19
lol now thats interesting i had a thomson and couldnt find anything as soon as i changed to a netgear i found it

now i know this is gonna be a pain but try resetting the router and restetting all your credentials

another thing i will add is netgear is known to drop shares and ip's alot within a network even though they are still on the internet

currently i have a linksys by cisco on order

Sicilian
05-01-11, 18:25
Yes using Windows 7 64bit how do I do this

Can't remember exactly off the top my head this is, I think Control Panel > Then look in network and sharing centre.

silverfox0786
05-01-11, 18:45
with respect to resetting i mean reset the router as for win 7 if you go to network on desktop right click and properties it will take you to network home

but i dont think that is the options you need

zephyr4
26-01-11, 17:55
Just had the same problem with vix 1.3 changed the line to WORKGROUP but it did not work so I checked the config line of my pli image and this part was different

VIX 1.3
server string = Vuplus %h

PLI
server string = Samba server %h

I deleted the vix samba config then copied the whole pli samba config into the vix samba folder rebooted pc\vu+ and restarted the network and now I can see the vu+ on my computer network.