PDA

View Full Version : USB to rs232 cable

matty_keane
28-08-15, 08:12
My Technomate 2T reciever has lost it's MAC address which in turn has disable any network / LAN access and seemingly I have to connect with the receiever via rs232 cable to flash the original MAC address back to the box.

The problem is that my laptop doesn't have a rs232 port. I had an old USB to rs232 adapter, which I have tried, but the laptop won't recognise it as a COM Port.

Laptop running windows 10.

I am wondering does anybody have any links to drivers that might fix this issue, or otherwise to a cable that is proven to work on Windows 10?

Thanks,

abu baniaz
28-08-15, 08:15
You would be better off getting an express card instead of USB cable.

matty_keane
28-08-15, 09:02
That hadn't even crossed my mind, thanks abu. If that doesn't work, the T2 will be out the door :confused:

DaMacFunkin
28-08-15, 09:44
How has it lost its Mac address? I thought Mac address these days had be hard coded to stop device cloning :confused:

matty_keane
28-08-15, 09:54
I have no idea DMF. One day when I turned it on, it simply had no network connection. Tried every possible solution, re-flashing, resetting networks etc. Eventually Technomate sent me a file in an email with a program to re-assign the mac code. Now it's a matter of getting a working rs232 cable.

See my other thread for more info.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47595-Network-LAN-not-working

DaMacFunkin
28-08-15, 10:36
Can you not borrow an old PC to flash it on?

matty_keane
28-08-15, 11:01
I'm currently in the process of asking friends if anybody still has one lying about - most of them are in the dump at this stage!

I might try the express card abu mentioned - should be a bit more reliable that usb converter cable

DaMacFunkin
28-08-15, 13:55
You will still need a Windows 10 driver, I have just been reading the prolific web site and it does state that some chipsets are not supported under windows 8/10 and to use a newer chipset.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

matty_keane
28-08-15, 14:13
Thanks DMF. luckily it's not my main receiver, but I hope to get a chance to test some of these drivers for the cable I have at the moment. If no luck, then possibly the express card method.