PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] Resolution for unsupported SD resolutions.

tspeirs
26-08-15, 14:57
Hi, new here and first post. Running VU+ Zero purchased last week from World of Satellite..

Up until last week I never knew such advanced software existed for STBs. VIX is fantastic and meets all my needs.

I have a background in software so have no problem modifying a few files but here is my question.

On some channels they are in a non standard 576i resolution. eg. 540x576i

I have a video processor so have set automatic resolution so the upscaling is done on that box.

On these non standard 576i resolutions the resolution is switched to 1080i and scaled.

Is there a way to change this resolution somewhere to say 720x576i?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Tom.

Trial
26-08-15, 18:44
Hi,
only if you set A/V output to 576i. Autoresolution tries to follow the logic to avoid double scaling and 540x576 must be scaled by the box to 720x576 and then your scaler would scale it to 1080i/p. Double scaling is not good even if you have a good second scaler. If you set it fixed to 576i you also have double scaling. Especially these small scaling values from 540 to 720 are problematic.

ciao

tspeirs
26-08-15, 19:24
Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Following on from that, I wonder if a higher end STB would do a better job at the scaling than my VU+ Zero? Or is it all just software based in Vix?

Tom.

Trial
26-08-15, 20:28
Hi,
scaling is done in hardware. Better hardware better scaling. You can try to optimize the settings like scaler sharpness but avoid to change the normal sharpness.

ciao

tspeirs
27-08-15, 22:09
Thanks.

There is no info available that I can find on how the boxes or VIX handles upscaling. I have no problem buying a better box but need to be sure.

I also suspect Vix is deinterlacing then reinterlacing when doing the scaling both at 1080i and if the resolution is set to 576i. Is this right?

tspeirs
27-08-15, 23:49
Also, could you please tell me where I find the sharpness settings? I don't seem to have the option on my vu+ zero with latest build. Any ideas?

tspeirs
28-08-15, 00:24
Apologies, I can't edit the post. I am guessing the sharpness is not supported yet on the zero. Can anyone confirm if it is supported in the daily build?

Trial
28-08-15, 08:38
Hi,
for ViX each SD file with <700 Pixel with is scaled to default resolution as I said to avoid double scaling and the box has 720x576 for SD. Have you set the box to 576 and compare the result of the VU and your external scaler?

The scaling settings are in a separate plugin which is perhaps not installed. I think it is called something like video enhancement. I am in the office right now so I cannot look at my box right now.

ciao

Rob van der Does
28-08-15, 09:56
Yes, the plugin is video enhancement. it is not installed by default, but you could give it a try. If you do, make sure the sharpness setting is also correct for other resolutions, including HD (for the latter normally no setting is required at all).