PDA

View Full Version : Nameserver or not?

robsunited
19-08-15, 18:59
I've changed from wireless to using powerlines. All set up and working fine but I'm confused by the test results as Nameserver is not recognised. Dhcp etc is all ticked green. Is this correct when connecting via ethernet? Like I say, the box is definitely working ok.

twol
19-08-15, 19:46
I've changed from wireless to using powerlines. All set up and working fine but I'm confused by the test results as Nameserver is not recognised. Dhcp etc is all ticked green. Is this correct when connecting via ethernet? Like I say, the box is definitely working ok.
How do you know the powerlines are working ... Whatever the vendors say they are OK for printers but not much else

robsunited
19-08-15, 19:57
I know because i have wifi off on the box and because they are registering on the info screen of my router. They are a fantastic asset for gaming and so many other items i have running within my home. You should read up on the technology they provide as they are a very popular tech in many homes and offices etc and have come on leaps and bounds this past couple of years.

ronand
19-08-15, 20:01
How do you know the powerlines are working ... Whatever the vendors say they are OK for printers but not much else

Thats a particularly stupid statement. A lot of people rely on them as they avoid having to hack walls etc. There are gigabytes of traffic on my homeplugs every day (and yes it include 2 network printers). Of course you can't beat cable but to be so dismissive is just showing ignorance.

robsunited
19-08-15, 20:04
Thats what i wanted to say :sofahide:

ronand
19-08-15, 20:09
As long as its working ie you can download plugins then don't panic. The nameserver can be set to the ip address of the router. Its nothing to do with the homeplugs btw. I find they work better than wifi with the only downside is that they don't always have a long working life.