PDA

View Full Version : Kodi getting terrible

adamandvicci
19-08-15, 16:46
I have downloaded and tried to FTP and over write the kodi installed. Just getting black screen of death. Why can you no longer update online is it for website hits?

I used to be a huge huge fan of xbmc and then Kodi but feel I am being forced back into the arms of TS Media for online content. I see Kodi all over on Amazon Fire sticks and android.

I am not a developer(I wish I was so I could help) is it really really difficult to have a sturdy fast service for enigma 2 that updates easy enough? Are these 2 the only option for online content?

dfox
19-08-15, 17:08
On what receiver?

adamandvicci
19-08-15, 17:17
Apologies ... Vu Ultimo

dfox
19-08-15, 17:35
Hmm unfortunately my knowledge of kodi on STB is non existent.

adamandvicci
19-08-15, 17:44
ha ha oh well. thanks anyway. Happy to try an alternative if there is one?

dfox
19-08-15, 17:49
Others will have some tips I am sure

Mr. Mister
19-08-15, 17:55
Im a big Kodi fan.. But defo not on an STB.. Cant be bothered with the messing around with it.. Much much much too slow.. Just aint worth the hassle..

You cant go wrong with the amazon fire box.. Its awesome.. It does what its supposed to do when its supposed to do it.. Every single time..

I have just got my 1st wetek.. and gonna have a play with that over the next few days.. and see how it preforms..

But as far on an Kodi on an STB.. Its just a waste of space.. IMO..

DaMacFunkin
19-08-15, 18:01
Err you can go wrong with the Amazon fire box, it can't do 24fps...
(Major oversight).
You may be one of those that doesn't see the way modern technology tries to 'Smooth' the conversion from 24hz to 60hz but i do and i don't like it.

Mr. Mister
19-08-15, 18:14
Err you can go wrong with the Amazon fire box, it can't do 24fps...
(Major oversight).
You may be one of those that doesn't see the way modern technology tries to 'Smooth' the conversion from 24hz to 60hz but i do and i don't like it.

OK.. I see what your saying there.. But.. Most people want to watch kodi as it has all the early stuff.. So your 24fps is not really an issue..

In saying that.. a few of the addons now have a 1080 section.. Now.. i know its not 1080.. But quality is still pretty good.. and much better than any other android box i have seen..

adamandvicci
19-08-15, 19:10
I'm only bothered about Kodi through the box I have. Have too many bloody remotes as it is :-)

is it really that difficult to bolt on something to the enigma boxes? If so why?

I'm sick of messing about with proxies etc. If the loaded firesticks can do it why cant the plugins / addons?

Trial
19-08-15, 19:20
Hi,

I have downloaded and tried to FTP and over write the kodi installed. Just getting black screen of death. Why can you no longer update online is it for website hits?
There is no "Kodi" for the Ultimo. Do you mean "Kodi direct"? This is completely different.

ciao

adamandvicci
19-08-15, 20:06
Hi,

There is no "Kodi" for the Ultimo. Do you mean "Kodi direct"? This is completely different.

ciao

Yes correct...are they not the same thing?

city
19-08-15, 20:11
Don't know why you bother trying to run kodi on an enigma box I've tried it's pants.

adamandvicci
19-08-15, 20:16
Don't know why you bother trying to run kodi on an enigma box I've tried it's pants.

Is there a better option for film content etc? TSMedia is unreliable at best

jasper1974
19-08-15, 20:28
I Use XBMC on my duo2 and think it works damn well really ok theres a couple of niggles in it but the picture quality most of the time excellent especcially using ruya plugin and with so many repositories available always something on there to tinker with.

TS Media i just cant stand maybe im doing something wrong but quality is rubbish and seems to make my duo2 unstable.

Kodi direct tried using this on my TM nano2 super and although was useful for iplayer stuff all in all not as good as XMBC.

Maybe im ok because of the speed of my box but i agree with OP i also have enough boxes and remotes plugged in without wanting another box just for XMBC/KODI

dfox
19-08-15, 20:59
I'm only bothered about Kodi through the box I have. Have too many bloody remotes as it is :-)

is it really that difficult to bolt on something to the enigma boxes? If so why?

I'm sick of messing about with proxies etc. If the loaded firesticks can do it why cant the plugins / addons?

Kodi direct is pants,I gave up and got a FTV stick.

If you want less remotes invest in a logitech harmony. I have a Harmony touch and its excellent, controls my tv, box and sound bar.

If you want it to control FTV as well you would need the ultimate or a hub with the touch

Trial
20-08-15, 07:54
Hi,
Amazon Fire TV (Stick) is not able to play 24Hz correct so it is nice but not perfect. Who knows what Fire OS sends to its creators?

ciao

2stein
20-08-15, 08:35
i did some experiments with xmbc/kodi on a vu+ duo2 as well and came to the conclusion that it won't cut it.
- kodi direct is way too unstable... alpha at best.
- xbmc is ok, but only 720p resolution... which is not good enough for watching pictures.
so, i built an intel nuc mediacenter with win 10, kodi, android emulator running andriod lollipop, and other stuff... and have been happy with it so far.

adamandvicci
20-08-15, 10:11
i did some experiments with xmbc/kodi on a vu+ duo2 as well and came to the conclusion that it won't cut it.
- kodi direct is way too unstable... alpha at best.
- xbmc is ok, but only 720p resolution... which is not good enough for watching pictures.
so, i built an intel nuc mediacenter with win 10, kodi, android emulator running andriod lollipop, and other stuff... and have been happy with it so far.

Sounds way too complicated for a novice (I did say novice, not No*head) But also sounds good

adamandvicci
20-08-15, 10:12
I Use XBMC on my duo2 and think it works damn well really ok theres a couple of niggles in it but the picture quality most of the time excellent especcially using ruya plugin and with so many repositories available always something on there to tinker with.

TS Media i just cant stand maybe im doing something wrong but quality is rubbish and seems to make my duo2 unstable.

Kodi direct tried using this on my TM nano2 super and although was useful for iplayer stuff all in all not as good as XMBC.

Maybe im ok because of the speed of my box but i agree with OP i also have enough boxes and remotes plugged in without wanting another box just for XMBC/KODI

Thanks Jasper, have you got links to these please?

city
20-08-15, 20:39
My advice would be to get a cheap kodi dedicated box. Even a raspberry pi 2 is excellent at playing and streaming content for about £50 all in and it will use your TV remote if your TV supports HDMI CEC. It plays true 23.976 and 60 hz @ 1080p with no issues. Once you try it you will see the benefit and you can stream to other TV's in your house from an enigma box if need to.

fast65
20-08-15, 22:51
My advice would be to get a cheap kodi dedicated box. Even a raspberry pi 2 is excellent at playing and streaming content for about £50 all in and it will use your TV remote if your TV supports HDMI CEC. It plays true 23.976 and 60 hz @ 1080p with no issues. Once you try it you will see the benefit and you can stream to other TV's in your house from an enigma box if need to.

if you don't want another remote get free Yatse app on your tablet or phone. Works brilliantly with rasp Pi. Pi is an excellent solution. Cheap and easy to setup and very small so can be hidden away. i have mine velcroed to back of tv

regards

city
20-08-15, 23:57
I have two raspberry pi 2's which I stream content from the internet, my network PC and from my Duo2 they are good bits of kit and the kodi software is amazing. I also have a Nvidia Shield Pro and this is a beast of a box and plays 4k content @ 60HZ with no problem. If money is no object I would get a Nvidia shield even though it currently it cant play 23.976 natively (it still plays ok) this function is on the development path to be within a few weeks as part of a major upgrade.

Mr. Mister
21-08-15, 00:36
I was looking at these Nvidia yesterday..

Pretty amazing piece of kit..

adamandvicci
21-08-15, 09:32
As a complete novice wanting access to cinema films, older films, IPTV and box sets etc.. Which is the easiest to setup and work? would be nice if I could also plug in my External 2TB HDD and run the various MKV, MP4, Avi etc films that are on that... Would that be possible?

city
21-08-15, 23:28
The raspberry pi 2 has 4 USB so you can plug in external USB drives. I think you will have to be careful if hard drive is powered off the USB and they recommend a powered drive or a USB hub for power to the hard drive or have a higher power power adaptor. I plug in 64GB USB drives and have no issues but mostly stream from PC & VU DUO2 over wireless network @ 1080p. Even better if you can get network hard wired. The Nvidia Shield also can play stream content from local or remote drives. They both play most if not all of the various formats I cant think any that have failed to work for me.

ArowonA
21-08-15, 23:50
I think you will have to be careful if hard drive is powered off the USB and they recommend a powered drive or a USB hub for power to the hard drive or have a higher power power adaptor.
This is the main reason I upgraded my Pi as the newer version can power a USB hard disk, assuming you have a 2amp power supply, you can check
http://www.htpcguides.com/power-2-5-hard-drive-with-raspberry-pi-b/ for details on how to enable the extra power to the USB ports. While the pi is really good, I probably wouldn't recommend it for a novice, unless you like messing around with things if you want it to just work, one of the media players WOS sell would probably be better.

city
22-08-15, 08:56
Good point most of the kodi boxes need a certain amount of setting up and maintenance but i think that is a choice once it is setup you can leave it or enhance it with goodies to suit your exact requirements. The raspberry pi is very well supported so information or custom builds are easily sourced and installed. My nvidia shield just works and seems to be the best box around a little pricey but when you consider the features and low power use its quite an amazing box.streaming content even up scaled from 1080p to UHD to a 4k TV is amazing quality. I believe it to be one of the only boxes to play 2160p content @ 60hz locally or over network this is quality.

Larry-G
24-08-15, 16:33

I used to be a huge huge fan of xbmc and then Kodi but feel I am being forced back into the arms of TS Media for online content. I see Kodi all over on Amazon Fire sticks and android.

I am not a developer(I wish I was so I could help) is it really really difficult to have a sturdy fast service for enigma 2 that updates easy enough? Are these 2 the only option for online content?

There is no KODI plugin for the Vu+ ultimo, there are only three maybe four Vu+ receivers that have the hardware required to run a real albeit a modified inhouse version of XBMC those being the solo2, duo2, solo SE off the top of my head. The KODI plugin you are referencing to in this thread is nothing more than a emulator to run patched XBMC / KODI addons. It's also rather amusing that you reference TSmedia as being a better alternative as one of the main developers of that garbage is also a leading developer of the kodidirect plugin.

As for the Amazon Fire TV boxes / sticks they are at this moment in time one of the fastest most stable hardware platforms for the real XBMC / KODI plugins. And for the naysayers in this thread poo pooing the fire TV platform for not having 24fps support, look again fire os5 has added partial 24p ,25p and 30p video support.

Larry-G
24-08-15, 16:40
Yes correct...are they not the same thing?

No no there not the same thing, nor are they even close to being so. Kodidirect is a emulator created largely by the same team that brought you the garbage that is TSmedia, it runs patched XBMC / KODI plugins, nothing more.

Rob van der Does
24-08-15, 17:05
Guys, when you want to try Kodi-direct, have issues with it, need a how-to, want to ask for new add-ons or report bugs, please refer to

http://www.xtrend-alliance.com/index.php/forum/93-plugin-kodi-direct/
as that's where the author (PDC) lives. He's very helpful.

Willmoore
24-08-15, 17:23
I have just purchased an Amazon Fire Stick and side loaded (using an app that makes it simple to do) Kodi as well as Showbox and Cinema HD - all work brilliantly. Add that to what it comes loaded with along with it's portability makes it a great piece of kit and the best £30 I've spent in a long time.

Larry-G
24-08-15, 18:28
I have just purchased an Amazon Fire Stick and side loaded (using an app that makes it simple to do) Kodi as well as Showbox and Cinema HD - all work brilliantly. Add that to what it comes loaded with along with it's portability makes it a great piece of kit and the best £30 I've spent in a long time.

I could not agree more, I have two fire TV boxes, one fire TV stick and two wetek play boxes. I can honestly say hand on heart and without any ulterior motive of being a seller that I use my fire TV devices daily as opposed to the wetek only getting powered up to play with once every few weeks. In fact one of the wetek boxes has never been powered on, it was removed from the box and put strait back into it, that's how little I think of those things.

linsladeboy
25-08-15, 17:06
I could not agree more, I have two fire TV boxes, one fire TV stick and two wetek play boxes. I can honestly say hand on heart and without any ulterior motive of being a seller that I use my fire TV devices daily as opposed to the wetek only getting powered up to play with once every few weeks. In fact one of the wetek boxes has never been powered on, it was removed from the box and put strait back into it, that's how little I think of those things.

Hi Larry,
Bit surprised at your comments regarding Wetek boxes.
I've got a Wetek Openelec box with DVB-S2 tuner for 99 euros and it runs Kodi beautifully with brilliant HD quality.
Must admit I have not been able to suss out the satellite side yet and the remote is pants, but its very quick and stable running Kodi via openelec.

nikefreak4eva
29-10-15, 15:09
Hi Mr.Mister - Thanks for letting me know I was just about to spend all day trying to put Kodi on my Vu Duo -- lol.. ill stick to the FireStick.. I was planning to sell the firestick once I had it on my STB lol.

satmanbasil
29-10-15, 16:42
hi
I have much given up using kodi on my solo 2 i have android m6 and m8 stb and recently purchased the fire stick whick is running kodi 15.2 base with "the beas"t image
As much as i love the look of The Beast it has all the toys you could wish for and great setup my only problem alot of content but lacks quality example you can spend alot
of time searching for a working link i would rather the author of The Beast would make sure the links are stable than having loads that can be down for whatever reason
its fun to play with at first opening up all the various links but soon when you get kicked off from failed link or even the image locks up of late you soon get cheesed off.
My two android boxes maybe slow to start at first as you normally have to do update before running but at least when they run you get what you wanna see.
I would love to hear the views of any other people using the beast on a firestick for there experience of the image

Bazzer
29-10-15, 17:54
I have had a few issues with 15.2 Kodi with failed links it just seems to be on certain sources that it happens . I have never used The Beast so I can't comment on that but when I was using 15.1 I never had a issue with working sources. I use TVADDONS with the Firestick and have really been impressed.

twol
29-10-15, 18:51
Although obviously not as cheap, the Wetek is surprisingly fast running Enigma2 and flips between enigma and full Kodi 15.2 without issues.
Still have to see if I can setup my video library with the Kodi 15.2 ipk plugin but looks promising.

Also means that it fits in with all my other Vix receivers plus hopefully with the Kodi benefit ... In which case a great add on.:)