PDA

View Full Version : Solution to stream to another room

divil_a_bit
18-08-15, 09:58
I'm trying to get a solution where I can stream from my Gigablue Quad+ to a TV in another room (wired CAT5 connection between the 2 rooms).

I've tried an Minix Android TV box running Kodi and it works. However, it's not a great user experience. Loading the EPG is much too slow and changing channel takes 5 or 6 seconds. Also, the user interface on Kodi isn't the best IMHO (selecting a channel, then being prompted to Switch/Record/Cancel).

Does anyone have any experience with the Gigablue IP Box?

At this stage, I'm tempted to buy another Gigablue Quad+ but I'd really prefer not to spend that much money given there *should* be a solution that works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Trial
18-08-15, 10:35
Hi,
if you have a Samsung E/F/H look at Pembos e2 Stream.

Only for streaming it does not need a Quad+. A good simple E2 STB would be alright.

ciao

divil_a_bit
18-08-15, 12:21
I don't have a Samsung Smart TV in the other room - it would require a TV upgrade

dwarf
18-08-15, 12:47
I would buy this (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/golden-interstar-receivers/Golden-Interstar-Xpeed-LX1) then use the remote stream plugin to stream a tuner from the quad to it.

Andy_Hazza
18-08-15, 15:52
I would go with the Vu+ Zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stuart35
18-08-15, 17:29
I'd agree with Andy_Hazza, Vu Zero and remote channel stream converter from plug ins

DaMacFunkin
18-08-15, 18:15
I've been trying this recently because I'm having my main bedroom plastered and had to move into the back bedroom... I've tried vu app side loaded on Fire TV and via vu plug in on kodi htpc and neither are brilliant somgone back to using remote stream channel plug in on vu+ Solo2 set top box, it just works.

divil_a_bit
18-08-15, 21:07
Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a Wiki on remote stream channel plugin? I've done some Googling and I can't find any clear info.

Is the performance of remote stream channel plugin and a second E2 box going to be much better than Kodi?

DaMacFunkin
19-08-15, 06:36
Yes!
TBH you shouldn't need remote stream channel plug in on vix, the fallback receiver option should work, but i've never been able to get it to work between my e2 boxes, but the plug in works fine, i was watching BT sport HD last night and the mrs was watching what ever she watches on the remote box without a glitch.

divil_a_bit
19-08-15, 09:14
Thanks for all the replies. Another couple of questions before I buy one of these boxes.

How long does it take to change channel? With Kodi, it can take 5 to 10 seconds. I need it to be instant.
How does it integrate into the 2nd E2 box? Does the EPG from the tuner on the server E2 box integrate into the EPG on the client E2 box?

Trial
19-08-15, 10:23
Hi,
I tested yesterday and channel change in my Kodi 5.1 (NUC5i3) takes 2 seconds.

You will never get instant channel change even on E2 it takes 1-2 seconds depending on scrambled or not. Situation will change with the new 4k box comming from VU this winter.

ciao

twol
19-08-15, 10:52
Situation will change with the new 4k box comming from VU this winter.

ciao

How? why? Is this technology or plugin change?

Trial
19-08-15, 11:28
Hi,
new technology of Tuner. They digitize a whole of the 4 sat bands and switching in one band for FTA will be almost instantanious.

ciao

Huevos
19-08-15, 12:10
RCSC or fallback tuner on the client box. Hardwired over LAN you would think the tuner was in the same box.

My personal preference would be RCSC. Just copies whatever bouquets you select from the server box.

twol
19-08-15, 12:28
Hi,
new technology of Tuner. They digitize a whole of the 4 sat bands and switching in one band for FTA will be almost instantanious.

ciao
So (sorry for going off topic) is it in the (I assume) Broadcom chip? In which case it will be available to other vendors?

Trial
19-08-15, 13:58
Hi,
I think broacom will sell to anyone with enough money:-) Seriously I have no idea.

ciao