PDA

View Full Version : whats the best receiver for me to buy

sut
16-08-15, 14:13
hi guys,

i am looking for a little advice please,

i am about to move house an in my new house i am able to have sky or cable unlike my current house where i am only able to get sky.

my question is what box is best for me to buy for either sky or cable. i am currently using a dreambox and a azboz hd.

i understand that you can still get HD channels on cable receiver and not on a sky receiver although this is not overly important to me.

the main thing i want from a box is
Resonable price,
Very easy to setup,
Able to record 1 channel while i watch a second,
Good tv guide

I hope you are able to help with this.

thank you.

mann
16-08-15, 15:27
You should take a look at sponsors site there are lots to choose from there but you need to make your mind up what you want sat or cable or a mix of both as this will determine the price of the box..
I myself always opt for and recommend vu boxes if your using just for sat then you need a twin tuner box to enable recording one while watching another like the solo2 you can add a cable USB tuner for the best of both worlds and also get boxes already set up for both cable and sat...you can select a boxes that allows you to add tuners of your choice to a box with spare tuner slots to add mix and match etc...
There are so many choices so it's mainly dependent on your budget..

john doe
16-08-15, 15:31
i would go with a box that you can have sky and cable two feed from sky and two from cable.

Stanman
16-08-15, 15:40
What's the budget?

If money is not an issue than I would suggest a Duo2 or mutant.

If you want value for money than a TM 3T or xtrend 8k.

The TM comes with fixed 2 sat and one hybrid T2/cable tuner were as the 8k is mix and match.

sut
16-08-15, 15:42
hi.

thanks for that info. i must admit i did not know you could get a box that could pick up both cable and sky. that sounds interesting although i am not sure it would be more than i need.
i currently just watch the sky channels via my c-line and that was fine but now i am working rotating shifts i want t be able to record the football.
it would be nice to have HD and i understand that you can only get that from cable boxes but how easy are they to setup and keep running.are they easy to record onto as well.

in reply to stanman.

i really dont have a budget inmind as i have no idea on what the value of these boxes are now as the 1s i use are very old now. sorry i dont understand what you mean when you say the boxes "comes with fixed 2 sat and one hybrid T2/cable tuner were as the 8k is mix and match"

Andy_Hazza
16-08-15, 15:46
I wouldn't touch any Technomate receiver with a barge pole.

Andy_Hazza
16-08-15, 15:47
BTW no card sharing talk please. Ta.

Stanman
16-08-15, 15:51
Fixed means the tuners are soldered on and you can not change them.

The plug and plug you can change the tuners so can have all sat or cable or terrestrial.

If money is not an issue than have a look at the Duo2 / mutant and Xtrend 10000 or 8500.

Read up and chose one that suits you.

If I was in your position I would get a cable tuner as well, nothing quite like watching in HD.

twc20
16-08-15, 15:57
I wouldn't touch any Technomate receiver with a barge pole.

Whys that? is it the build quality or difficult to work with or picture quality?

Andy_Hazza
16-08-15, 15:59
The build quality, horrible to look at, piss poor at driver support to name a few. But this is just my opinion. I have tried Technomates n I just don't like em, and I know peeps who wished they hadn't gone with a Technomate. But they are cheap I guess, but still wouldn't touch one. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sut
16-08-15, 18:07
stanman. i am thinking here tht i will go with the duo2 with fixed sat and cable turners.
how easy are these boxes to setup though as i could imagen it being hard with dual turners from different inputs.

andy thx didn't realize.

Andy_Hazza
16-08-15, 19:27
stanman. i am thinking here tht i will go with the duo2 with fixed sat and cable turners.
how easy are these boxes to setup though as i could imagen it being hard with dual turners from different inputs.

andy thx didn't realize.

Look at the Mut@nt HD2400 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/combo-digital-cable-terrestrial-satellite-receivers/Mutant-Combo-Linux-HD-Receivers/Mutant-HD2400-HD-Quad-Tuner-Digital-Receiver-2x-DVB-S-S2-2x-DVB-C-T-T2
Or
Vu+ Duo2 >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/combo-digital-cable-terrestrial-satellite-receivers/VU-Plus-Combo-Linux-HD-Receivers/VU-Plus-Duo2-Duo-2-1x-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-1x-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2-HD-Enigma-2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver

Andy_Hazza
16-08-15, 19:29
Guides here to help with setting ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) and CrossEPG etc >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=%2A%2A%2AGuides%20and%20Tutorials%2A %2A%2A/

sut
16-08-15, 20:13
thx you very much for the info. i am just a little confused as all the boxes i currently have i.e my eagle box 500s, eagle box hd, and my azboz hd. i have setup my self and they have all worked for the last several years.
but with moving and now having the choice of sat or cable i have been looking into it, problem is i have never setup a cable box and have no idea where to start and really dont want to waste money buying a box that i am unable to setup and run.

Stanman
17-08-15, 14:01
It's very easy to set up.

I did one for a mate with some help and done in 30 minutes.

If I was you, I would but one of the boxes with separate tuners. It's more versatile.

I love the DUO2 but it's downsize is there are only two slots so can have only twin tuners, so much better to have individual slots for each tuner

DaMacFunkin
17-08-15, 19:32
Doesn't matter if he is going for 2x sat and 2x cable it's all do-able

Sicilian
17-08-15, 19:47
Mutant HD2400 now starts @ £239 http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=hd2400

sut
18-08-15, 00:32
sorry for delayed reply but am working lates at the minute so not much free time,
stanman above said the down side to the duo2 was it only had 2 slots so could only have twin turners. ?? i would only want and only need 2 turners anyway wouldnt i 1 for sat and 1 for cable?

Huevos
18-08-15, 00:54
You said watch and record. To do that on any combination of channels you would need at least two of each type of tuner.

sut
18-08-15, 01:15
oh ok so i need 4 turners 2 sat and 2 cable.
do these boxes need to be running to different flash software versions. one for sat and then one for cable and switch between the 2 flash software. or does 1 flash cover both formats. " if that makes sense to anyone"

judge
18-08-15, 01:34
oh ok so i need 4 turners 2 sat and 2 cable.
do these boxes need to be running to different flash software versions. one for sat and then one for cable and switch between the 2 flash software. or does 1 flash cover both formats. " if that makes sense to anyone"

No need for different software versions. One image will use all tuners. The more tuners, the better.

Mr. Mister
18-08-15, 01:40
No bud.. Just flash as normal..

Stanman
18-08-15, 12:15
Doesn't matter if he is going for 2x sat and 2x cable it's all do-able
It is but 4 separate slots means more versatility and combination.

sut
19-08-15, 12:46
can you tell me can i watch a sat channel with these boxes while i record a cable channel. or is it a case you have to record the same format as your watching. if you can record 1 format while watching another then i could buy a box with just 2 turners in 1 sat and 1 cable.