PDA

View Full Version : Duo 2 Weak tuners ?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 00:03
Just bought a Vu zero from W.O.S and snr/agc mid 90% but same cable etc on the du2 is 65-70% and pictures cut out at around 50 on the duo 2 also.

Edited for Judge ;) Does anyone else find they have weak tuners with the duo 2 and is there anyway to fix this ?

judge
16-08-15, 00:12
Just bought a Vu zero from W.O.S and snr/agc mid 90% but same cable etc on the du2 is 65-70% and pictures cut out at around 50 on the duo 2 also.

Is this a question or an odd statement?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 00:14
Did you not see the ? in the thread title ?:confused::thumbsup:

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 00:15
Edited the first odd statement :)

judge
16-08-15, 00:50
Did you not see the ? in the thread title ?:confused::thumbsup:

Nope, but do now since you edited it.
Still don't get what the issue is though?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 00:52
I didn't edit the thread title mate just the odd statement. :)

The issue is weak tuners on a duo 2, does anyone else have this issue.

:eek:

judge
16-08-15, 01:04
I didn't edit the thread title mate just the odd statement. :)

Editing the 'odd statement' in previously posted threads still confuses things though.
Not noticed any weak tuner threads with a Duo2 if that helps?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 01:08
It just seems strange the signal is so high on the zero but so low on the duo2, is there any piece of equipment I could try like an attenuator? Could the signal be to strong for the box?

twol
16-08-15, 06:37
It just seems strange the signal is so high on the zero but so low on the duo2, is there any piece of equipment I could try like an attenuator? Could the signal be to strong for the box?
Yes, google attenuators ... available online either as a single component or on a multiswitch.... But you are also assuming SNR on even the same brand.Receiver is accurate and comparable.
LNB, s and cable length with some tuners can cause issues.

DaMacFunkin
16-08-15, 09:35
Right here it is, i run cable on solo2 with sundtek usb and on duo2 with dual internal tuner... it isn't that the tuners are weak, it is the connection on your wire. Have you fitted any part of the plug yourself? if so you need to do a A-one job or you will get noise into the signal which affects the signal level, you may even find that channels on or around 99mhz won't work at all. my advice for problem free cable:
Use a molded high quality f cable or official virgin supplied cable without any modification, then use a f plug to rf plug adaptor, don't be tempted to cut the cable and fit your own, the slightest bit of interference may cause you problems.
Also don't split the feed into your house and expect it to work 100%, in heavily subscribed areas your or if you have TiVo your signal level at the box will be set to workable level, any attempt at extra split will result in a degradation of signal, in this instance source a powered splitter.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 10:43
Hi mate, but why would the zero have such good signal compared to the duo 2 while using the exact same cable, not as high quality tuner on the zero? The dish is 1metre away from the duo 2 with 2 gold plated f plugs fitted.

twol
16-08-15, 11:20
Well could be with almost no cable between dish and receiver, that Solo tuners are more sensitive and beibg over powered by the signal ....using attentuators. (Which cost peanuts) would prove it..... But if you are not that curious forget it!

When you live in a marginal area with 20+ metres of cable and you are trying to max your signal from an LNB, then you start playing with attentuators:)

Rob van der Does
16-08-15, 11:25
The Solo2 tuners are indeed more sensitive then those of the DUO2. But I have no idea if it's a big difference.
I think all embeded tuners are more sensitive then replaceable tuners.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 14:46
Its actually the duo2 not the solo i own and a zero. I really didnt think the signal would be to strong. Its only a 60cm dish with sky octo zinwell lnb . I have bought a Konig Variable Attenuator 20DB with DC Pass Through to try and see if its makes any difference.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 14:47
I wouldnt be bothered but it means i dont get some channels so want to get it fixed , the duo2 cuts the picture when it goes below 50%

Joe_90
16-08-15, 16:44
Why are you proposing to buy an attenuator when you are losing signal on some transponders:confused: You do know that an attenuator will reduce the signal level? May be useful in some situations for cable TV where the supplier has the gain turned up too much or with a terrestrial aerial where you are living beside a powerful signal source. With a standard SKY dish and their quad or octo LNBs I think it highly unlikely you have too much signal.
If the Duo2 is showing low SNR then the signal is weak and this is due to the dish not being aligned properly. The fact that the zero shows a higher signal level or whatever is not really relevant. These tuners are mass produced and not precision instruments. Get the signal right for the Duo2 and it will be fine on the zero. I've used a 1.1m dish with ultra low-noise LNBs and have never swamped the tuners with signals from 28.2 on various receivers.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 16:50
The cable between the dish and reciever is less than 2 metres and the dish has been aligned by a professional 2 days ago, I thought maybe it was to strong a signal due to the dish being so close and so little cable. The channels all work when I plug in a sky box just not on the duo 2. Would an amplifier help then? I'm stuck with the dish I'm afraid.

Joe_90
16-08-15, 16:56
No - you have a fault somewhere. What specific transponders (channels) are you having issues with? Are others working ok on the same box? If you do a complete scan on the Duo2 how many channels does it list at the end of the scan?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 16:57
Roughly just under a thousand.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 16:59
There is a handful of channels with low signal and loss of signal sometimes. Discovery science +1 , ID , animal planit +1 to name a few .

Huevos
16-08-15, 17:26
Can you step through the transponders with Satfinder and point out the ones with signal problems.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 17:41
Sorry mate not sure I understand what you mean? Go on the channel then to sat finder then the bottom line?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 19:56
Just plugged the feed into the sky box and the channels work fine, and both signal strength and quality are full.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 20:09
Doesn't that show its a software or hardware issue? Or weak tuners?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 20:33
Here are a few that dont work smash hits ,kiss, 4music , the box are some of the music channels that don't work .
animal planet+1 , id , ci+1 , tlc+1 , dmax , quest+1 , tlc+2 , discovery shed , home and health , discovery history , discovery science +1 , bt sport1hd , bt sport 2hd ,

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 20:45
Ans now im even more confused , now its turned dark all the channels work and have excellent signal .

Joe_90
16-08-15, 21:48
Ok - I think you may be getting interference from a DECT (cordless) phone, perhaps? The music channels you mention are often subject to interference from phones in the vicinity of the receiver or near the cable. The music channels mentioned by you are all on one transponder (12480 V) and when downmixed by the LNB are right in the middle of the DECT frequency band. The other channels you mention are all on a couple of transponders - 11582 H or 11875H plus a couple of others on 11597 V. It looks like an interference problem. Some boxes and cabling are better shielded which is why they might work when another doesn't. If you have anything sending radio transmissions in the room or nearby, try turning them off. Could be DECT phone, WiFi, baby monitor even....

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 21:54
There is a cordless phone directly on the other side of the wall to the dish, approx 30 cm through a wall. I have unplugged the phone. Why would that only affect it during daylight hours though? Thanks Darren Ps I take it the phone interference is with the dish and not the reciever?

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 21:56
As the other box also gets problems with the same channels and it another flooring up. But there is a router about 10 cm from the reciever.

Joe_90
16-08-15, 22:05
Have you verified that all the channels are now receivable? I had done a few more sums and DMAX, Quest+1 and TLC+2 are all on the same transponder (channels are transmitted in groups on a transponder) and when they are downmixed by the LNB they end up in the approximate frequency band used by the DECT phone (1880 MHz). The signals are on the cable and they can be interfered with by the base station (or a handset). It's important that you use high quality cable to minimise interference. The phone base station may be radiating signals outside of its allocated frequency, so you may have to move it elsewhere, or reroute the cables so that they don't run close to it. I'm not sure why the time should be a factor unless there is something else at play. Digital signals are strange beasts and you either have perfect reception (from a picture quality perspective) or no reception when the signal quality falls off the cliff.

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 22:08
Yes mate all now receivable, I've unplugged the phone and wifi cameras, aldi moving the router now.

Joe_90
16-08-15, 22:12
It's probably just the phone, really. In theory the WiFi shouldn't affect the signal as it is in a different band. - You must have some influence to get Aldi to come out and move the router, though :D

darrenduds20
16-08-15, 22:20
:p hahahaha, router has been relocated, got Tesco out instead :)

Trial
17-08-15, 07:38
Hi,
the problem with 12480 is often also an indicator that the cables and connectors are not perfect. The isolation should normally prevent these interferences.

ciao

darrenduds20
17-08-15, 08:28
I'll order some new cable and connectors, what's the best connectors to buy? Screw on or crimp or something else? Wf100 or something else? I'll redo it all. Thanks for your help

darrenduds20
17-08-15, 08:31
What cable and connectors should I buy?

Trial
17-08-15, 08:44
Hi,
the main problem is not the quality of cable connector it is the fitting. If the isolation is not handled properly you can get all kind of problems. I would check cable and connector first.

ciao

darrenduds20
17-08-15, 08:59
Ok mate thank you.

Joe_90
17-08-15, 10:11
You need good quality cable - preferably CT100 (now called WF100) and properly fitting F plugs. I personally have always used screw on connectors, but pro fitters would have crimping gear. Don't buy snake-oil "gold plated" F plugs The connectors on the receiver and at the LNB are tinned. Make sure the outside connectors are waterproofed (awkward with an octo, but you could use silicone grease) and that the rain cover is pulled down fully. That's silicone grease (not the stuff for waterproofing baths). Lastly, make sure the cables are not routed on top of DECT phones or base stations.

darrenduds20
17-08-15, 10:22
Thanks mate I'll get some ct100, does the interface go back to the lnb as the zero that's upstairs is all wired outside the house. Also the duo 2 wiring runs past a 12 outlet extension tower and the cables are touching the power cables.

Joe_90
17-08-15, 15:34
You probably only need to check or inspect the wiring run to the Duo 2. Power cables shouldn't affect it, although it is good practice not to run power and signal cables together. Just make sure the source of the interference (DECT phone or base station) is well away from the LNB cabling. This is a commonly reported problem in Ireland where SKY carry the encrypted C4 on 12480 - same transponder as you have interference on the music channels. When the signal is converted by the LNB to a frequency suitable for the cable and tuner it is slap bang in the middle of the DECT band. It's just that the interference in your case is also spread over into other transponders. Could be down to the quality control of the base station or handset. Moving it away from the cable or duo2 is the easiest solution.

darrenduds20
17-08-15, 16:03
Thanks mate, I've just disconnected the phone, we never use the thing anyways. 2 of the inputs to the duo 2 are ct100 and the other 2 are sky shotgun cable. The cabling running outside from the dish to the bedroom is also sky shotgun.