PDA

View Full Version : ip address?

cactikid
06-08-15, 20:43
curious if one has the two lan cables connected and both run network tests and all green ticks on both yet only one has a blue circle only and choosing the other has no ip ?

Joe_90
06-08-15, 21:09
You have two ethernet adapters?

cactikid
06-08-15, 21:10
2 cat 5 cables connected if you mean that?

Joe_90
06-08-15, 21:16
Again I ask - you have two ethernet (CAT 5) connectors on your box?
If you have this setup it's as if you have a firewall or are running a router. Most boxes will have one ethernet connection. if you then plug in a USB ethernet adapter (or WiFi) the setup wizard usually asks to disable one. Most applications can't handle multiple routes to the interweb :p

cactikid
06-08-15, 21:25
first time setting up box so i can remove one lan cable as its through a router ohh wise one:D

ah yes this box has got 2network ports vlan for access to iptv and lan to access internet,and one did cancel out other and decided to start from scratch again:(

judge
06-08-15, 21:33
ah yes this box has got 2network ports vlan for access to iptv and lan to access internet,and one did cancel out other and decided to start from scratch again:(

Isn't it just 2 ports, 1 x 100MB & 1 GB?

Joe_90
06-08-15, 21:37
Well - d'oh on my part :eek: I just googled the box and I see it does have two ethernet ports, although one is for VLAN. I would presume the image builds would take this into account although I would think that most enigma software would assume (presume?) one ethernet adapter. I'll bail out at this stage and let someone more familiar with this beastie chip in!

Joe_90
06-08-15, 21:39
Isn't it just 2 ports, 1 x 100MB & 1 GB?

It is, but how would the various plugins know which port to use?

cactikid
06-08-15, 22:31
this box is getting very weird how can one loss internal hdd and only usb seen in mounts ,rebooted and now visible lol:confused:

birdman
07-08-15, 02:32
It is, but how would the various plugins know which port to use?The route to another network (including the default route) will determine this based upon the destination IP address. Applications don't need to know which interface to use (although they are free to set it - but only things like diagnostic tools would do that). You've always got at least two interfaces anyway, as you'll always have a localhost, and that causes no problems.

On my (Linux) laptop the Wifi interfaces will be connected to my wireless network when I'm at home - but if I'm using it next to my router then I plug in the spare Ethernet cable. This activates (so I now have two interfaces on the same network with different addresses) and takes over the default route. When I unplug the Ethernet cable it all reverts. It works fine. (The laptop also runs MSWindows - but I've never really looked at what happens there).

Two Ethernet connectors would be slightly different, but the same principle still obtains. I suspect (but don't know) that the last one to be configured would get the default route.

twol
07-08-15, 06:53
I sold my box at the start of the year, but if memory is correct and they haven't fixed Enigma then,,,,,,,
This box can be tricky with the 2 LAN connectors for a couch flash update with settings restore - will often not be able to find plugins as cannot workout LAN connection. So having backed up your working settings...
1) either have 2 ethernet connections - and the restore of settings and plugins works clean
or
2) allow settings restore (no plugins), reboot and then restore settings with plugins. 1st restore setups up the correct single LAN connection, the second now you have have a LAN connection allows plugins to be restored.

Joe_90
07-08-15, 10:01
Having two ethernet paths requires the box subsystems to be routing aware. That is what I meant. There are probably plugins to set up the separate paths out of the box, but I don't think the standard image facilities allow this. It's inclined to throw a wobbler when you have an cabled and WiFi connection active simultaneously. I presume Xtrend would have some drivers/plugins that you have to use.

birdman
07-08-15, 13:37
Having two ethernet paths requires the box subsystems to be routing aware.But the only thing which is going to be doing any IP traffic is the Linux kernel itself, and it is routing-aware. There might be an issue if the two Ethernet ports were onto two different networks, only one of which went the the Internet - the issue there being whether the configuration screens allowed you to set up the default (gateway) address to be the same for both interfaces, even if they are on different networks (i.e. one set-up would "look" wrong).

cactikid
07-08-15, 14:59
eventually got it connected using vlan port only after spending a bit of time trying,also had to power to down to reconnect.

Allyboy
17-08-15, 13:18
this box is getting very weird how can one loss internal hdd and only usb seen in mounts ,rebooted and now visible lol:confused:

Also have this issue can someone look into it.

birdman
18-08-15, 01:56

Also have this issue can someone look into it.You might like to try manually selecting the mount point (even if you are setting it to the "default") in the settings.

On my box the USB drive could occasionally end up being seen first at boot time, and this meant it ended up with the device that was normally allocated to the hdd. So I had a USB drive mounted as /media/hdd, and no hard-drive mounted.

If you configure them manually then the mounting is done based on the UUID of the partition, which isn't affected by device order and so is not sensitive to response timings at boot-up.

Allyboy
18-08-15, 11:43
You might like to try manually selecting the mount point (even if you are setting it to the "default") in the settings.

On my box the USB drive could occasionally end up being seen first at boot time, and this meant it ended up with the device that was normally allocated to the hdd. So I had a USB drive mounted as /media/hdd, and no hard-drive mounted.

If you configure them manually then the mounting is done based on the UUID of the partition, which isn't affected by device order and so is not sensitive to response timings at boot-up.

Sorry what do you mean manually selecting it i think i have it set this way going to mount manager and setting usb to media/usb and hdd to media/hdd?

birdman
19-08-15, 00:49
Sorry what do you mean manually selecting it i think i have it set this way going to mount manager and setting usb to media/usb and hdd to media/hdd?That souns like it. That will mean you have lines like this:
UUID=9C44-07B8 /media/usb vfat defaults 0 0
UUID=75a26202-818f-441f-bfd2-b94134d0eef0 /media/hdd auto defaults0 0at the end of the /etc/fstab file.
If you've already done that then I don't have any other ideas - other than the HDD fails to spin up sometimes, which (I suppose) might happen if you have a power supply that is near the (lower) voltage limits.