PDA

View Full Version : hdd problem

mr e
06-08-15, 16:46
hi all, i've recently bought a xtrend et10000 from wos. basically i've bought one with 1 tb hdd installed on it. The problem i'm having is that i'm having to take off the cover to the box and taking off the leads to the hdd because, the hdd stops working (it wont pause or rec etc). Could anyone help me please?

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:20
Is the HDD mounted correctly? Blue button, ViX and Mount manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr e
06-08-15, 17:35
I pressed the blue button & got to mount manager, the hdd is highlighted so i don't know if it's mounted. How do i know if it's mounted?

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:43
It should say Mount: /media/hdd and Type: ext4 R/W?

mr e
06-08-15, 17:48
It should say Mount: /media/hdd and Type: ext4 R/W?

yes mate, it does read as above

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:59
If you don't mind formatting your hard drive again then I would be tempted to unmount your hdd, then initialise your hdd via Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices and red button to initialise (which is basically formatting), then I would blue button > ViX > Mount Manager > and setup a mount again and when asked, reboot your receiver when prompted.

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 18:05
When thats done I would store EPG data to your hard drive if you haven't already. Store PICONS to your internal flash if you have any and in your TimeShift settings set "automatically start timeshift after" to 20 seconds. Timeshift location should be set to /media/hdd/timeshift and I always have "show warning when timeshift is stopped" set to NO, thats my personal preference and then green button to save. It wouldn't hurt to restart your receiver again at this point.
Then try some recordings, pausing live tv etc.

Allyboy
17-08-15, 13:17
Am having this problem with this box to some when i turn box on it shows that there's no HDD installed and i need to power down box and it shows up again. One other time it just stopped while recorded and disappeared again till I'll restarted box.

mr e
08-09-15, 20:53
Am having this problem with this box to some when i turn box on it shows that there's no HDD installed and i need to power down box and it shows up again. One other time it just stopped while recorded and disappeared again till I'll restarted box.

im getting the same problem as above. im having to restart the box every now and then to get the hdd to show.Any ideas thanks

nsw9154
09-09-15, 06:12
mr e did you do as Andy suggested and did it fix the problem :confused: as your original post was over a Month ago it would have helped if you had posted a reply to let us know if it worked or not
we do our best to help but if you wont help us to help you how can we help you :rolleyes:

ccs
19-09-15, 12:36
On a couple of occasions my ET10K has booted up with no HDD.

I've attached a crash log, but I guess it will only show that there's no HDD.

adm
19-09-15, 13:03
When updating the image my ET10k always loses the HDD UNTIL a off/on with the mains voltage restores a fully working system.

ccs
19-09-15, 13:13
Thanks - that could be a very good clue as I was checking out an earlier image.

It came back ok after a deep standby, rather than a mains reset, though.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen every time. I had flashed Hades without problems, and the moved back to 3.2.005 when the HDD went AWL.

adm
25-09-15, 16:03
When updating the image my ET10k always loses the HDD UNTIL a off/on with the mains voltage restores a fully working system.

Sods law. Since I posted that I've lost my hard disk on my ET10K twice now. A reboot by way of an on/off at the mains switch and the hard disk is seen by my box again without me having to anything else. I don't know in what circumstance it goes missing but one one of these occasions it was missing when coming out of deep standby.

ccs
25-09-15, 16:29
I had one yesterday evening, for no obvious reason. Nearly lost a whole night's recordings, but spotted it in time.

Time for a boot up script which checks that the hdd is online, and if not reboots, me thinks.

Something like

if ! test -d /media/hdd ;
then init 3
fi

Is init 3 the right one to do a full reboot??

Or maybe there's a better way of doing it.

(Not doing too well at the moment - only 3 tuners out of 4 work at any one time, hdd sometimes goes missing, and box fails to go into deep standby after recordings.)

adm
25-09-15, 17:48
Or maybe there's a better way of doing it.

It reminds me of one of the early Topfield PVR features where during boot-up the OS didn't wait long enough for the HDD to spin up from cold. Cured, I remember, by the simple act of adding a extra small delay before attempting to read the disk during the boot process. Perhaps with 2.5 inch disks and slower startup-ups for green drives the timing is marginal for some HDDs?

I've recently put back a USB memory stick into the mix. When the internal HDD (2.5 inch, 1TB fitted by the sponsor) goes missing the USB stick is always found.

ccs
25-09-15, 21:19
It reminds me of one of the early Topfield PVR features where during boot-up the OS didn't wait long enough for the HDD to spin up from cold. Cured, I remember, by the simple act of adding a extra small delay before attempting to read the disk during the boot process. Perhaps with 2.5 inch disks and slower startup-ups for green drives the timing is marginal for some HDDs?Yes, it would be much better if more time was given to allow the HDD to get ready, assuming it's the same issue that Toppies sometimes suffered from.
I've recently put back a USB memory stick into the mix. When the internal HDD (2.5 inch, 1TB fitted by the sponsor) goes missing the USB stick is always found.
How does the stick work in practice? Does it become the default movie location, using the same folders/bookmarks that the timers expect?
I always imagined a stick would just be another location which your timers would have to explicitly use.

birdman
25-09-15, 22:16
Is init 3 the right one to do a full reboot??Er, no. That will put the system into state 3 - which should be what it is already in, so would do nothing.
If you want a full reboot then the command to use is:

reboot

birdman
25-09-15, 22:21
Yes, it would be much better if more time was given to allow the HDD to get ready, assuming it's the same issue that Toppies sometimes suffered from.Or some way for the BIOS (or whatever) to either not respond until it is done, or to be able to indicate it is still initializing hardware and therefore not to query it yet.

How does the stick work in practice? Does it become the default movie location, using the same folders/bookmarks that the timers expect?I've seen this a few times. In my case it "took over" the hard disk location, and was mounted as /media/hdd. I've stopped that by ensuring the partitions are mounted by UUID, so if the disk fails to spin up I have no disk at all (although it hasn't done that since I forced the mount locations).

ccs
25-09-15, 22:31
I've seen this a few times. In my case it "took over" the hard disk location, and was mounted as /media/hdd. I've stopped that by ensuring the partitions are mounted by UUID, so if the disk fails to spin up I have no disk at all (although it hasn't done that since I forced the mount locations).Now you mention it, so have I - I fitted a usb stick when I first got the box, and was very confused when recordings "failed", only to find them later on the memory stick.
So the missing hdd has probably been happening almost from day 1.

birdman
25-09-15, 23:56
Actually, on thinking about it, it was probably not that the disk didn't show up, but that the USB stick and the hdd were detected in the "wrong" (== different) order. So the USB stick became /media/hdd and the hdd became /media/hdd2.

adm
26-09-15, 01:04
I've seen this a few times. In my case it "took over" the hard disk location, and was mounted as /media/hdd.

When my HDD went missing the USB stick was still identified as /media/usb

etc/fstab seems to have the correct UUID for the HDD and USB

Donkeyface
01-11-15, 20:25
Are people still having this problem? i posted this issue back in july and got nothing back!
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46764-HDD-not-Mounting&p=363873#post363873

i get this problem twice a month at the moment but a restart fix's for the next week or 2.

I have had this on Hades up to version 3.2.9.
has this issues been resolved yet or some kind of work around?

Cheers