PDA

View Full Version : What second box

crx
06-08-15, 10:39
I'm currently looking to get a second box as I plan to scrap sky from the main room and use my Solo 2 box in the living room meaning I need another box for the bedroom, I put an wanted ad up for a zero box but now thinking I might be better off spending the extra money on the likes of the xtrend et8000 as its twin tuner. What's everyone's thoughts for a second box ?

Thanks for any help.

john doe
06-08-15, 11:01
if you plan to only watch tv then the zero is great. mine is linked to a 500gb hdd with a docking station for all plugins, epg, etc etc. if you plan to record and watch channels then I would go for a ET 8000, solo2, there is cheaper boxes, but is depends on what you want to do with it.

crx
06-08-15, 11:06
I had planned to only use it for watching tv but after having the solo 2 in the bedroom its been handy for recording things and watching the odd thing on kodi and ts media. I like the the ease of use for the solo 2 and the wife will be using this box the most so needs to be similar setup to the solo 2

twol
06-08-15, 11:22
Xtrend ET7500 would give you an onboard tuner plus if necessary a plugin tuner.
Simple no thrills receiver that just sits in my cellar bedroom and does what is necessary :)

john doe
06-08-15, 11:23
in that case go for the solo2 or et8000. I got the zero in my bedroom, but sometime I wish I got another box that records, but not a biggie as I use dreamote lite to record to the solo 2. also if you go for the zero you can use it to watch movies recorded on the solo2 through NFS

crx
06-08-15, 11:29
in that case go for the solo2 or et8000. I got the zero in my bedroom, but sometime I wish I got another box that records, but not a biggie as I use dreamote lite to record to the solo 2. also if you go for the zero you can use it to watch movies recorded on the solo2 through NFS

Is it hard to use the this function on the zero as this is what was swaying me towards the zero.

Willmoore
06-08-15, 11:33
I have a zero as a second box and its perfect for my needs. Picks up the recordings from the Solo - use an app to set recordings if needed. Its very small so fits behind the wall mounted tv and controlled via the shipped IR sensor. Same remote as the Solo so the wife does not get confused.

john doe
06-08-15, 11:36
Is it hard to use the this function on the zero as this is what was swaying me towards the zero.

no, very easy setup. when you have the zero, make sure you have NFS running on both boxes, and then on the zero you mount the solo2 HDD and setup from there. I posted here somewhere on to do this. see below

you need to use NFS and setup on both boxes, once done you need to go into menu through zero and click - setup, setting, network, mounts setup. click network browser and it will start a search . once you see your other box click this, say no to password/username, do down to media/hdd click ok, and say no to password/username, then in mount editor, change mount using to enigma2 (mount using E2) press ok and it will start setup. once done go into recordings and click yellow button location, you should see your other boxes hdd, click this and go into movies and from there you should have access that is saved. every time you go into the recoding's, this should start automatically

John57
06-08-15, 15:24
Have to say that I am also about to order a second box to compliment my existing VU+Solo2, going to read up on the et8000 has it seems to be well received on this forum.

Regards
John.

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 15:50
Have to say that I am also about to order a second box to compliment my existing VU+Solo2, going to read up on the et8000 has it seems to be well received on this forum.

Regards
John.

Vu+ Solo2 every time. [emoji106]🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John57
06-08-15, 15:54
Andy, thanks for your positive feedback.

Andy from a previous message that you posted you mentioned that from all the boxes that you have that the Mutant was your fav - is it worth the extra compared to the VU+Solo2 and how it differs, I am not apposed to invest in a better receiver.

Many thanks
John

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 16:25
Andy, thanks for your positive feedback.

Andy from a previous message that you posted you mentioned that from all the boxes that you have that the Mutant was your fav - is it worth the extra compared to the VU+Solo2 and how it differs, I am not apposed to invest in a better receiver.

Many thanks
John

Hi John, out of all my boxes, yeah the Mut@nt HD2400 is my fave receiver, but my Vu+ Solo2 comes second, then my Xtrend ET10K and finally my Vu+ Uno, only because the Uno lacks umph now.
I love the universal Vu+ remote (not the crappy Duo2 remote!!) but I am used to the Mut@nt HD2400 remote now, only snag is its not universal!! [emoji17]
The beauty with the Mut@nt HD2400 is the various tuner combinations you can have etc, whereas the Vu+ Solo2 just has the fixed satellite tuners, but nonetheless still an excellent receiver. [emoji4]

John57
06-08-15, 16:34
Andy

Fully understand, so in reality the VU+Solo2 is still an excellent receiver which I can also agree on as I am very happy with my current model its just time now to add a second receiver.

Thanks so much for your own personal feedback which is always welcome, I guess its a s second VU+Solo 2 then as I have not heard of a release date for the 4K version so far.

Regards
John.

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 16:37
Andy

Fully understand, so in reality the VU+Solo2 is still an excellent receiver which I can also agree on as I am very happy with my current model its just time now to add a second.

Thanks so much for your own personal feedback which is always welcome, I guess its a s second VU+Solo 2 then as I have not heard of a release date for the 4K version so far.

Regards
John.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the Vu+ Solo 4K but has gone quiet at the mo. I would have thought end August/early September we would have expected something. I'm gonna give Stef at WoS a tinkle to see if he's heard any news on the 4K model. [emoji4]

John57
06-08-15, 16:58
Andy

I would also be keen to hear any news about this box so any updated feedback you can share would be welcomed

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:07
Yeah sure John, if I hear anything will let you know.

Bazzer
06-08-15, 17:23
Anybody having a guess at the price for the 4K plus the price of a compatible TV.

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:26
Gonna be £400 plus for the receiver at a guess, maybe nearer the £500 mark.
I have my LG OLED 4K tv ready at the go....... [emoji4]

Bazzer
06-08-15, 17:36
Just looked at the TV you mentioned Andy 55" £3799.00 I think I will pass on that then:D

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:46
I know. I treat myself last month, fantastic tv mind, best on the market. My last tv, a panny 3d plasma tv, which my brother now has did me proud for 5 years. I love my gadgets n technology, my weakness!!! lol

twol
06-08-15, 17:49
Gonna be £400 plus for the receiver at a guess, maybe nearer the £500 mark.
I have my LG OLED 4K tv ready at the go....... [emoji4]

But will your TV be supported ... it was admitted recently that the fps used by Sky and BT for their 4K channels will be much higher than that supported by many 4K TV's - there are just no final standards yet.
Having said that LG are the only serious players at the high end at the moment to replace Panny plasma... nobody else can get the yields

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 17:53
But will your TV be supported ... it was admitted recently that the fps used by Sky and BT will be much higher than that supported by many 4K TV's - there are just no final standards yet.

I have a BT Ultra HD YouView box and that is 50fps and the Community Shield game at the weekend was great quality, all smooth and no motion blurriness or anything. I did a lot of research into my new tv and read loads of independent reviews and am happy as larry with my purchase. [emoji2]

Bazzer
06-08-15, 17:58
But neither is 4K on pay-TV, as we’ve yet to see a 4K channel appear on satellite or cable. Both mediums could be adapted to push 4K content to viewers, given that they both are capable of supporting the necessary bandwidth, but here we get to that chicken-or-the-egg scenario: why would the profit-hungry pay-TV operators bother investing in 4K content if 4K market penetration is so poor?

Bazzer
06-08-15, 18:04
Netflix requires a 15.6Mbps connection to stream its 4K tell me how many homes get that ?

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 18:07
But neither is 4K on pay-TV, as we’ve yet to see a 4K channel appear on satellite or cable. Both mediums could be adapted to push 4K content to viewers, given that they both are capable of supporting the necessary bandwidth, but here we get to that chicken-or-the-egg scenario: why would the profit-hungry pay-TV operators bother investing in 4K content if 4K market penetration is so poor?

Yeah I have Netflix 4K and watched all Breaking Bad again in 4K, was great viewing. Brilliant show that is.

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 18:09
Netflix requires a 15.6Mbps connection to stream its 4K tell me how many homes get that ?

To view BT Sports Ultra HD channel which is internet connection based, was told by BT that required 40Mbps plus to view. [emoji13]
Luckily I have BT Infinity 2 installed and easily get 70Mbps d/l but like you say a lot of peeps struggle to get 1Mbps!! [emoji16]

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 18:11
I think HD is gonna be the SD it is today and the HD will become the 4K.
I think 4K is here to stay for a long while.

Bazzer
06-08-15, 18:13
My point of view Andy is that VM have struggled to keep up with HD never mind 4K which is a shame really has I think the Tivo box is very good, I can see VM ending up like Nokia :D

twol
06-08-15, 18:33
To view BT Sports Ultra HD channel which is internet connection based, was told by BT that required 40Mbps plus to view. [emoji13]
Luckily I have BT Infinity 2 installed and easily get 70Mbps d/l but like you say a lot of peeps struggle to get 1Mbps!! [emoji16]

Yep, but the review I saw said their true4k sports channels would require 100fps......

John57
06-08-15, 18:33
Andy/Bazzer

Looks like we all have the same interests which is great my current set up revolves around Arcam kit, Kef LS50 5.1 speakers and a Pioneer Kuro 500A and just like you I am also always looking at the latest technology and what it might have to offer.

I am also looking at a new LG OLED TV as well as my Pioneer 500A Kuro developed a fault three months ago (five years old so out of warranty now) and had to take it to an authorised Pioneer dealer who then replaced a faulty pcb board inside the standalone media receiver together with a full one year warranty (really happy) as this Plasma still gives wonderful results but the LG 4K OLED is breathtaking but in terms of reliability ......not sure about long term reliability but this might however all change with Panasonic due to release a new range of OLED TV's (panels possibly sourced via LG I would expect)

On the internet front I only have a 10Mbps line but that is about to change next week with a local provider offering us 120Mbps plus cable TV if we need it but not going to go for cable TV option as I have just installed a really good 85cm Fuba Dish with a multifeed arm for Astra 19 & 28.2.

I am relatively new to the Vix software (as you might know from my previous posts) find it frustrating that I cannot get my head around it but I have to say that I have just found
a new software call VUControl Centre and this has given me more confidence to move forward....I feel a bit like Jodi Foster in the film Contact.....small steps Ellie, small steps.

John.

John57
06-08-15, 18:37
Seen the VU+Solo 4k on German forums with a estimated price of 400 -500€ but until it is released I guess we are all guessing. Really hope as and when it does get released that it will also be supported with ViX Software.

John

john doe
06-08-15, 21:23
cant wait for solo4k am having one

Andy_Hazza
06-08-15, 21:44
Me too. [emoji4]